English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 26 January 2003, 11:36   #1
Mojo2000

Best Aminet games?

Is there a webpage somewhere which has any kind of "Top 10/20/30" list pertaining to Aminet games? I started perusing the vast Aminet archives in 1996, and it sure seems to me that the current cataloging system could use some more depth (although I realize that, due to limited resources, even great ideas cannot see fruition).

I have discovered a separate site which allows logging of ratings and/or comments on Aminet software, but there are so few contributions that it doesn't help me.

============
BTW, I am running Amiga Forever 5.1, acquired legally from Cloanto. My XP 2200+ CPU running at 1.8 GHz, to my dismay, STILL does not permit decent-quality sound while displaying 800 x 600 or higher. Sigh.

Old 27 January 2003, 14:48   #2
TikTok

The CHARTS file in the aminet directory on the ftp sites and CDs tell you the weeks most popular downloads, but there isn't a long term list AFAIK.
Old 27 January 2003, 18:20   #3
LaundroMat

Get...

Hyperdrive! It's one of the best games on Aminet.
Old 28 January 2003, 00:47   #4
Mojo2000

I wonder...

I wonder if this thread lacks attraction power because a vast majority of great Amiga games (backups, naturally) is available at places such as AMI Sector One and Back2TheRoots....

Old 28 January 2003, 14:38   #5
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Even though it never got further than the first demo level, I really like Firewall for its great graphical potential
Old 28 January 2003, 15:31   #6
Drake1009

My vote goes for Boderunner

Too bad it never got further than what you see. I contacted the author and he said he had dropped it. Still has a lot of levels with the version on aminet.
Old 28 January 2003, 15:33   #7
TikTok

Quote:
I wonder if this thread lacks attraction power because a vast majority of great Amiga games (backups, naturally) is available at places such as AMI Sector One and Back2TheRoots....
Perhaps also because there is another similar thread which deals with Top 20 Shareware:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...=top+shareware

A lot of the stuff here can be found on Aminet. Personal recommendation: Deluxe Galaga.
Old 29 January 2003, 00:29   #8
Mojo2000

Smile Thanks...

Quote:
Originally posted by TikTok
Perhaps also because there is another similar thread which deals with Top 20 Shareware:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...=top+shareware

A lot of the stuff here can be found on Aminet. Personal recommendation: Deluxe Galaga.
Thanks for the reply. I will check out that other thread. Meanwhile, Deluxe Galaga IS of course a time-honored classic and masterpiece which I have just redownloaded on my own... However, it really doesn't have that much to do with the original arcade classic by Namco, nor any of the official sequels (Gaplus, Galaga 88 arcade, Galaga 90 NEC console etc.) But I suppose that if I really have a hankering to revisit those, they are right here in my MAME folders and in MagicEngine.

Again, thank you kindly for the ideas.