English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 January 2011, 15:07   #1
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

A1200T-OS3.9 CD Issues

Hi all

Well, no sooner had I installed my new A1200 mobo and a fresh install of OS3.9 (to clear up the amount of rubbish I had strewn all over the OS), my CD-ROM stops working!

Set up:
A1200T (mobo 1D4)
4xIDE adapter
4Gb HDD in 3 partitions (OS / emergency backup OS / projects)
52x CD-ROM (Creative)
BPPC card with 8+32Mb RAM

Here's what happened:
Installed mobo and rebooted. All OK, so I know all the hardware's good!
Re-installed OS3.9 from original CD and rebooted. All good.
Then, I tried a cold-reboot and no cd-rom drive. Just an error with the title bar: CACHE CDFS and a message along the lines of: can't find "scsi.device" device 1
Hmmm.. Tried booting into my old OS (which I know works) and I still can't see the CD-ROM drive
Now, when installing the OS I took the option to make the CD-ROM available from bootup, despite the recommended setting being 'no'. I'm fairly sure that this is the root of the issue, but I can't figure out how to reverse it. I've re-formatted my OS39 partition and tried to cold boot into the old os, but (oddly) I can't get the boot menu (L&R mouse) off a cold boot. The hdd does some stuff beforehand and I reckon it's dropping some SCSI stuff into the mix, pre-startup, for the CD-ROM drive and keeping it resident for the soft-reset (3-finger salute).

My next action (when I get in from work) is to make a boot floppy from my old OS and try to zap the OS39 drive from their... or at least change the boot priority to the old OS (can I do this from WB?) and re-install the OS onto the OS39 partition again (but selecting 'no' at the CD Start option).

Has anyone else come across this? If so, any ideas on what caused it as I'd like to have an answer under my belt should this happen again!

Many thanks
LuMan

PS - ooh, BTW, the CD-ROM drive works fine. Double-checked with my PC.
Old 11 January 2011, 15:33   #2
thomas

Make sure that "scsi.device unit 1" is the correct place where the CD drive is connected to.

"scsi.device" = internal IDE controller
0 = primary master
1 = primary slave
only if IDEfix software is active:
2 = secondary master
3 = secondary slave

If IDEfix software is not installed, make sure that the AmigaOS ROM Update is active. During installation you were asked whether you use a 4-way IDE adapter. If you replied with "yes", the ROM update has been disabled because it assumes that IDEfix software is used.

You should find a file called "AmigaOS ROM Update.something" in the Devs drawer. Remove the ".something" from the end to activate the ROM update (reboot is needed of course). If it's not in the Devs drawer, then it's on the CD. Copy it to the Devs directory.
Old 11 January 2011, 19:39   #3
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

@Thomas
Thanks very much for the tips. I'll try them when I get in tonight (still at work )

L