English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 May 2010, 15:29   #1
Vegas

Problem using RGB-VGA adapter

Hallo everyone! I got a problem using VGA - monitors with my A1200.

I connected the monitor via a RGB-VGA adapter and set up the screen mode (by using a standard tv). Everything worked fine until after about 15 minutes the screen started to act strange and then turned black completely. There was no message from the VGA - monitor like "no signal" or something.

I tried Multiscan, DblPAL and DblNTSC modes, all with the same effect. Also i moved VGAonly to Devs/Monitors but it seems to do nothing. What is it good for by the way?

Another monitor i connected behaved exactly the same. A third one didn´t want to display anything. A TFT screen kinda worked but the picture was terrible.
Thats why i´m guessing its not about the monitor itsself.

Anyone who can help me out?
Old 31 May 2010, 17:42   #2
thomas

Move both VGAOnly and Multiscan to Devs/Montitors, reboot and try Multiscan:Productivity.

VGAOnly only works in conjunction with the other drivers. When present, it slightly changes the frequencies of the other drivers. It does not appear as a mode by itself.
Old 31 May 2010, 21:22   #3
Vegas

Hi Thomas, thanks for the reply!

That´s exactly what i did, but still the screen turns black after about 15 minutes. It also does some weird flashing before it stops working. I just used the workbench screen, no games etc.

It´s the same with all the different monitors i tried. Isn´t there a trick like an aminet tool or something?

I was going to use the adapter solution until i can find a scandoubler. I wanted to wait because i read there will be new Indivisions in autumn.
Old 31 May 2010, 22:14   #4
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
Hi Thomas, thanks for the reply!

That´s exactly what i did, but still the screen turns black after about 15 minutes. It also does some weird flashing before it stops working. I just used the workbench screen, no games etc.

It´s the same with all the different monitors i tried. Isn´t there a trick like an aminet tool or something?

I was going to use the adapter solution until i can find a scandoubler. I wanted to wait because i read there will be new Indivisions in autumn.
Things don't always get released on time, i'm curious why it dies after 15 minutes or so, is there something that is overheating and causing an open, it seems suspiciously like a hardware error on the Amiga side
Old 31 May 2010, 23:01   #5
Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
it seems suspiciously like a hardware error on the Amiga side
??? Ok, i will test it with my A600 and see what happens. The A1200 seems to work fine, no heat or anything. It keeps running just normal, i think.

EDIT: The A600 is running for some time now and doesn´t have any problems. Mhm... It should be the A1200 then. What could it be?? Does it matter, when i am not using VGA monitors? (There is a Blizzard 030/50 installed, CF HD, no external stuff)

Last edited by Vegas; 01 June 2010 at 00:51.
Old 01 June 2010, 01:58   #6
kipper2k

Quote:
??? Ok, i will test it with my A600 and see what happens. The A1200 seems to work fine, no heat or anything. It keeps running just normal, i think.

EDIT: The A600 is running for some time now and doesn´t have any problems. Mhm... It should be the A1200 then. What could it be?? Does it matter, when i am not using VGA monitors? (There is a Blizzard 030/50 installed, CF HD, no external stuff)
first place to start is checking all your voltages... 5v, 12v etc and make sure they are at the correct level. Next is the capacitors, they get old and tired, look for greenish discolouration around the capacitors, smell for any fishy smells and look to see if the capacitors have a bulging top. If your 1200 still has the original capacitors on them its time to replace them. Also remove all non essential extras, and try, it is possible your power supply is weak. Try a different power supply if you have one
Old 01 June 2010, 03:32   #7
Vegas

I removed the blizzard and tried another power supply but nothing changed. Then i overlooked the motherboard but it looks fine to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
first place to start is checking all your voltages... 5v, 12v etc and make sure they are at the correct level. Next is the capacitors, they get old and tired, look for greenish discolouration around the capacitors, smell for any fishy smells and look to see if the capacitors have a bulging top. If your 1200 still has the original capacitors on them its time to replace them.
Ok, this is where my skills come to an end Seriously, this mobo will die, if i touch it with a soldering iron. The capacitors are certainly original. Is there a way to get this fixed professionally and how much will it possibly be?

Is it even worth it, the Amiga is running fine in native screenmode? Well, i guess it´s just a matter of time until other problems will appear, isn´t it?
Old 01 June 2010, 05:24   #8
kipper2k

Quote:
I removed the blizzard and tried another power supply but nothing changed. Then i overlooked the motherboard but it looks fine to me.

Ok, this is where my skills come to an end Seriously, this mobo will die, if i touch it with a soldering iron. The capacitors are certainly original. Is there a way to get this fixed professionally and how much will it possibly be?

Is it even worth it, the Amiga is running fine in native screenmode? Well, i guess it´s just a matter of time until other problems will appear, isn´t it?

i think there are people in Germany that could help you, the capacitors themselves are dirt cheap, so its just paying for an hours work for someone to do it for you. As always its a crap shoot how long they last before failure. Most capacitors are rated for 1000 - 2000 hours use, thats not really a long time.
Old 01 June 2010, 13:24   #9
Vegas

Thanks a lot for your advice! I just saw that amigakit is offering capacitor replacement. So, maybe i go for this option. Meanwhile i am going to use another mobo.
Old 01 June 2010, 13:31   #10
kipper2k

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your advice! I just saw that amigakit is offering capacitor replacement. So, maybe i go for this option. Meanwhile i am going to use another mobo.

Hopefully thats the problem, if not, then you still will have improved your 1200 by replacing the caps and also preventing any future leakage damage.
Old 01 June 2010, 13:47   #11
thomas

Quote:

You shouldn't blindly shoot into the dark but rather ask an expert first. Register at www.a1k.org/forum and ask your question there. If somebody named Botfixer replies, you are on the winner's street.
Old 01 June 2010, 14:15   #12
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You shouldn't blindly shoot into the dark but rather ask an expert first. Register at www.a1k.org/forum and ask your question there. If somebody named Botfixer replies, you are on the winner's street.

Do you find a problem with my logic Thomas ?. and also insinuate that i do not have a clue what i am talking about. I try not to stab blindly at a problem. Without having the machine in front of you to troubleshoot it is hard to be more specific when you depend on the information provided by the user.

I dont think there is anything wrong with my diagnosis, it is hardware error and you need to start somewhere. A troubleshooting flowchart has to start somewhere, and for reasons of cost you always try to start at the simplest, cheapest, most frequently reported errors to try to solve the problem
Old 01 June 2010, 15:03   #13
thomas

Quote:
Do you find a problem with my logic Thomas ?
No. Not sure why you think I could. He wanted to send his Amiga to Amigakit (UK), you said there probably are people in Germany who could do the same and I suggested a German forum where he could find such people. IMHO we are exactly on the same line.

Quote:
A troubleshooting flowchart has to start somewhere, and for reasons of cost you always try to start at the simplest, cheapest, most frequently reported errors to try to solve the problem
Botfixer at a1k.org is an expert regarding Amiga hardware. He has the skill to measure and debug every part of an Amiga motherboard and he has fixed many many Amigas in the past, some even by remote diagnosis. Asking him does not cost anything, so I would always try this first before I start preventive repairs which might or might not fix the problem. And I am sure that he will suggest to replace all capacitors, too
Old 01 June 2010, 17:32   #14
Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Thank you for the tip, i will check out the forum! Of course i will keep on gathering information about possible causes. Still this threat has already been some big help to me!

Last edited by Vegas; 01 June 2010 at 19:52.
Old 03 June 2010, 15:40   #15
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Thank you for the tip, i will check out the forum! Of course i will keep on gathering information about possible causes. Still this threat has already been some big help to me!
It's ok, we threaten everyone
Old 03 June 2010, 20:57   #16
Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
It's ok, we threaten everyone
This took me some time to get it Ayayay, english...
Old 03 June 2010, 23:54   #17
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
This took me some time to get it Ayayay, english...
Good that you did get it, but on a more relevent note, does your A1200 have a smell inside it like fish, or a very acrid smell? Problems with capacitors and subsequent failure of circuitry can happen. Also does it improve by gently tapping the top of the A1200 with your finger?
Old 04 June 2010, 07:46   #18
Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
Good that you did get it, but on a more relevent note, does your A1200 have a smell inside it like fish, or a very acrid smell? Problems with capacitors and subsequent failure of circuitry can happen. Also does it improve by gently tapping the top of the A1200 with your finger?
No, nothing like this. The mobo looks (and smells) nice. Nothing changed when i was fingertapping.

There was a suggestion, that it might be a heat - problem. But when i ran the board without any casing, it still behaved the same.
Old 04 June 2010, 07:51   #19
Vegas

@ Thomas: Do you have an idea if there is somebody who could check the board? I don´t know what i should do with it apart from that.