English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 May 2018, 17:18   #21
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
Hardware support

that is part of the install problem as well of course, but full support for VirtualBox or VMware and kvm VirtIO would help dramatically!
Yes another strength of AROS is that it can be run from an ISO on a Virtual Machine, and from the virtual machine install AROS on external HarDisk or Pendrive to be used as a system on a PC

VMware : Install AROS USB External Hard Disk:
[ Show youtube player ]

VMware Player Installazione IcarOS 2.0 on Pendrive
[ Show youtube player ]

AROS installed on VMware Player:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 May 2018, 17:23   #22
Gorf

Well last time I tried I could not get sound running on virtuabox...
Old 14 May 2018, 17:28   #23
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Well last time I tried I could not get sound running on virtuabox...
I use the old free VMware Player and everything works perfectly, Audio, Video and Internet
Old 14 May 2018, 17:33   #24
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I use the old free VMware Player and everything works perfectly, Audio, Video and Internet
What version of VMware and what distribution of AROS?
Old 14 May 2018, 17:59   #25
AMIGASYSTEM

I use VMware Player 6.0.4 (updated 6.0.7), latest version running on Windows systems at 32Bit, if you have a 64 Bit system you can install something better, find HERE all versions.

My version AROS ABIv0 and an old version of IcarOS/AspireOS that i have updated that I have also installed on my laptops.
Old 14 May 2018, 18:29   #26
Gorf

Quote:
I use VMware Player 6.0.4 (updated 6.0.7), latest version running on Windows systems at 32Bit, if you have a 64 Bit system you can install something better, find HERE all versions.
Windows??? You are joking I hope!
Never ever will I use Windows!

just tried latest Icaros with Virtualbox - definitively no fun :-/
VMware on Linux or macOS is usually worse ... but I will try it later.

But many points are not vm-realated... and the first start of Icaros gives the user a terrible experience
I know it is a lot of work and effort, to compile such a distribution and I am thankful for everyone who contributed ...

But if we are honest: I simply can not recommend e.g. Icaros to a friend to try out. Played around with version 2.2.1 for 15 mins and had to restart the vm 3 times - and I was just clicking around!
Old 14 May 2018, 18:38   #27
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Windows??? You are joking I hope!
Never ever will I use Windows!
I can say the contrary, never used Linux i never liked it, you do not like Windows, but on Windows everything works better you see VMware, VirtualBox, WinUAE, if you want to add more hundreds of things that work better on Windows
Old 14 May 2018, 18:56   #28
Gorf

Quote:
I can say the contrary, never used Linux i never liked it, you do not like Windows, but on Windows everything works better you see VMware, VirtualBox, WinUAE, if you want to add more hundreds of things that work better on Windows
I am administrating many Windows clients and servers, as this is part of my job, so I know that system all too well. So I happily DON'T use it at home!

But as I said: most problems of AROS-ditributions are not related to the emulation...

Classic emulation under macOS with e.g. AmiKit works almost flawless, offers better integration (Rabbit-hole) and even looks/feels faster despite of the need to emulate the processor.

So there is work to do on the AROS side....

Mostly it are small things and bugs, but they seem to accumulate and make the overall experience far from optimal.

If it helps I will write my experience down. Shall I?
Old 14 May 2018, 19:02   #29
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I am administrating many Windows clients and servers, as this is part of my job, so I know that system all too well. So I happily DON'T use it at home!

But as I said: most problems of AROS-ditributions are not related to the emulation...
I also did that job and managed networks and many PCs ... now I'm an old man retired

Quote:
Classic emulation under macOS with e.g. AmiKit works almost flawless,
I would say that with WinUAE on Windows you can do even better, AmiKit it is not the best (i do not like Dopu5), better my configurations AfA-OS

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 May 2018 at 19:18.
Old 14 May 2018, 19:03   #30
tero

When you're on Linux just use aros hosted. It's fast and stable as far as i can tell, with sound and network. Icaros has install instructions on the iso.
Using a VM is only better for windows users as the win-hosted aros is not that good e.g. no sound.
Old 14 May 2018, 19:33   #31
Gorf

Quote:
I would say that with WinUAE on Windows you can do even better, AmiKit it is not the best (i do not like Dopu5), better my configurations AfA-OS
That was just an example for a distribution that works but of the box.

With enough time and effort I can surly tweak any system classic or (native) aros into a usable state. But I was talking about the first impression!

The first time maybe a new user comes into contact with Aros... and it does not help to sugar-core it: the first impression is quite terrible.

Last edited by Gorf; 14 May 2018 at 19:51.
Old 14 May 2018, 19:40   #32
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
When you're on Linux just use aros hosted. It's fast and stable as far as i can tell, with sound and network. Icaros has install instructions on the iso.
Using a VM is only better for windows users as the win-hosted aros is not that good e.g. no sound.
How do I get in contact with Aros?
I download one of these live CDs. Boot it either on my real hardware (will often not work) or in an VM. Than I start to play around with it a little bit - and run into crash after crash ..
That is the end for any new user.
Nobody will bother to install Aros after a first impression like this.

I am an experienced Amiga user, have used many different OS over the years, administrate systems and develop software - so yes: I can make it somehow work. But even I find it tiresome and frustrating.
But that is surly not average Joe trying out Aros.

So the first Impression needs to change!

Last edited by Gorf; 14 May 2018 at 19:47.
Old 14 May 2018, 20:05   #33
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
The only problem for AROS is the limited number of developers, if you are a developer the team he will be happy to welcome you, if you need special information on AROS you will find HERE
Old 14 May 2018, 20:13   #34
Gorf

Quote:
The only problem for AROS is the limited number of developers, if you are a developer the team he will be happy to welcome you, if you need special information on AROS you will find HERE
No you misunderstood...

Imagine a new user, reading about Aros in an article.
So his first contact will be a live CD of one of the distributions - and that will end in a terrible experience, and the user will not bother with Aros anymore.
Old 14 May 2018, 20:28   #35
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
No you misunderstood...
Fault of google translator

Quote:
Imagine a new user, reading about Aros in an article.
So his first contact will be a live CD of one of the distributions - and that will end in a terrible experience, and the user will not bother with Aros anymore.
Yes this happens when a user is not an expert and does not know the sacrifice of many peoplewho dedicate their free time to the community without asking for anything.
Old 14 May 2018, 20:35   #36
Gorf

Quote:
Fault of google translator

Yes this happens when a user is not an expert and does not know the sacrifice of many peoplewho dedicate their free time to the community without asking for anything.
I appreciate the sacrifices and again: thanks to all developers and contributors.
But:

For a new user only the result counts.

Your question was:
"What are the pros & cons of using AROS in comparison to other Amiga-like operating systems?"

I am answering that. I am telling you where the NG systems are better or where even classic AOS3.x is better.

So it does not help to relativlate or ignore these problems.

step one: identify the problem
step two: discuss and find a solution
step three: implement the solution.

We are still at step one
first we need to agree on the problems.
Old 14 May 2018, 20:53   #37
AMIGASYSTEM

Ok Gorf on this you're right, but as you said has developed there are few, on AROS there have been so many divisions not least the transition to ABIv1 where they had to redo everything from scratch, talk with you anyway was very pleasant.
Old 14 May 2018, 21:14   #38
tero

Quote:

They have a forum: http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/index.php
There's a subforum for icaros too.

If you just want to know how to install (real or hosted), just read the pdf included in the icaros download. I only installed linux-hosted, but that was easy and straight-forward.

EDIT: But i agree. install on hd is not as easy as it should be, especially for beginners.
Old 14 May 2018, 21:35   #39
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
They have a forum: http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/index.php
There's a subforum for icaros too.
Again that was a rhetorical question!
I was referring to how a new user gets its first experience, its first contact with Aros! Hence the rhetorical question

I am on aros-exec since 11 years now!

Quote:
EDIT: But i agree. install on hd is not as easy as it should be, especially for beginners.
Thats what I am taking about!

Quote:
I only installed linux-hosted, but that was easy and straight-forward.
hosted should be simply:
Code:
apt-get install aros
or
yum install aros
Old 14 May 2018, 22:30   #40
tero

Quote:
hosted should be simply:
Code:
apt-get install aros
or
yum install aros
I don't think you can install aros from the distributions repos. And i doubt any distro will ever include it. Wouldn't fit there anyway imo

Right now it goes like:

open as terminal
change to the path of the mounted image
and run the install with:
Code:
sh ./linux-hosted-install.sh
Depending on the desktop you can simply rightclick on the file and choose 'open in terminal'.

This should be easy enough for most amiga users. Once the install is finished it is a nice experience. Sadly only linux-hosted. Win-hosted doesn't work 100% and hd install isn't easy either. (or it wasn't a few years ago, haven't tried since)

New users should know that aros isn't a finished or polished product. If someone wants a ready to go system they shouold stick with os4 or mos.

EDIT: What's missing for new users is a nice presentation on the aros website, maybe a short 'howto install' etc and not the nearly never updated and ugly website aros uses now. Right now users have to find their way themselfs. Aros should offer someway to guide new users through the first steps. That way the first experience could be better.

Last edited by tero; 14 May 2018 at 22:43.