English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 January 2002, 06:21   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Scumm

Let me begin this thread by thanking Pyromania for the heads up on this port. He mentioned it to me on the phone last week, I'd forgotten about it and today this link came from him in a PM, so credit for the link goes to him. Disclaimer out of the way...

http://www.sebelinteractive.de/scummvm/

There was a discusssion some time back about which games we would like to have seen Amiga versions of. It was a great thread (until it got spoiled by another inane flamewar...) and there was a mention of SCUMM on the C64. For the uninitiated, SCUMM is LucasArts S.C.U.M.M. (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion) which was used on most (all?) LucasArts titles from that point on. This includes Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Indy 3, Indy 4, Zak McKracken, Loom, The Dig, Full Throttle, Monkey Island 1-2-3, and probably others.

The Amiga port is still in beta, but some games do work. Some can even be completed! Some are missing features (sound, etc.) that may or may not affect the game, but we're only looking at v.034.

One note in the FAQ talks about copy protection not working proper on some games, so cracks may work better. So it got me to thinking about how cool it would be to have WHD versions of the games that work. As many games as those guys fix, they probably have better fixing skills than the SCUMM team do. Just a thought.

Another exciting note: you may ask yourself what good is this on titles that already exist on the Amiga, like the Indy games, MI 1 & 2, etc. Well, since those games were VGA on the PCA, it's like getting an AGA version for the Amiga!

At this stage, the working games (that can be completed) with Amiga SCUMM are Monkey Island CD version (hey - Monkey Island CD32!), Indy 4, and Day of the Tentacle (!!!). DOTT is a game that has problems with the copy protection, so a crack would be neccesary (surely this must exist!)

Anybody up for posting a working install of any of these Amiga/SCUMM titles?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dott.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1705  
Old 27 January 2002, 08:34   #2
jmmijo

Yes, these were some of the best games produced, I have most of them for both the Amiga and PC. Now I'll look at the link Twistin' provided and see what's up.

Some notes to add:

LucasArts titles starting with The Dig I believe, also included the INSANE Animation System along with the iMUSE Sound System. To tell you the truth, DOTT and Full Throttle have great voice acting along with with great sound effects
Old 27 January 2002, 10:49   #3
Drake1009

That's great news. If it's possible to play the CD version of say Day of the tentacle from harddisk and thus leaving the speech behind without it complaining then you'd have a cracked version of DOTT since the CD version didn't use copy protection.
Old 27 January 2002, 14:11   #4
RetroMan

Just wanted to mention, that the current SCUMMVM Version got problems with Sam&Max ! You can see the main characters, but the background is black, let´s hope it get fixed in the next version
Old 28 January 2002, 23:37   #5
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

DOTT

This is a dream come true! Lucasart games back on the amiga where they should be!

Hmm, my cd copy of dott doesn't have any protection as far as i remember. I think i might have a cracked version of dott disk version around too. I'll check that.

Drake, i don't understand why you'd use the cd version of DOTT if you don't want the speech?
Old 29 January 2002, 05:27   #6
birdy-scc
Banned

It is really crap when someone takes a thread and creates a conversation out of it.

How many times can you run around a Maypole before you get you get stuck in a rut?

Let's hear it for silence.
Old 29 January 2002, 08:37   #7
Warlock99

Hmm

Doesn't that defeat the object of a discussion board?
Old 29 January 2002, 09:46   #8
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by birdy
It is really crap when someone takes a thread and creates a conversation out of it.

How many times can you run around a Maypole before you get you get stuck in a rut?

Let's hear it for silence.
What are you looking for on this board ?
information or destruction ?
Old 29 January 2002, 10:24   #9
Drake1009

Warlock : Drake, i don't understand why you'd use the cd version of DOTT if you don't want the speech?

I would use the CD version because I don't have a disk version. And I'd use it without speech seeing as how I haven't got a CD drive in my Amiga and don't have more than 120 MB harddisk space which would make it somewhat hard to move all the files there.
Old 29 January 2002, 16:49   #10
birdy-scc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK
What are you looking for on this board ?
information or destruction ?
Maybe you should ask twist what exactly the implication of his statement about that thread was designed to affect.

You are now reacting to my reaction to HIS shit. You should have been aware of this before continuing.

@twist : I'm not going to go in to details of your insidiousness, but one day, I guarantee, you will suffer from such a shitty attitude.
Old 29 January 2002, 17:41   #11
Amiga1992

Holy shit, thisis great news really. Shame that I dont have a proper amiga to use it
Old 30 January 2002, 12:59   #12
Riempie
Amiga freak

Maybe this version of DOTT will work with it...

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/pcco/...html/dott.html
Old 30 January 2002, 17:43   #13
Doozy

Working through emu?

Anyone actually got Day Of The Tentacle working on WinUAE? I have tried myself, but to no avail I am trying it with the demo and the floppy version of DOTT.

Any ideas gratefully recieved....

Old 30 January 2002, 17:52   #14
Riempie
Amiga freak

Well, I tried it in WinUAE, I have Amiga in A Box, so maybe that has something to do with it too. I tried the demo of Day of the Tentacle and the whole game. I did see the game start etc, but it was real slow, but I guess this should work on a real amiga.
Old 30 January 2002, 22:31   #15
jmmijo

What ?!? I never thought of that
Old 30 January 2002, 22:44   #16
Warlock99

dott

Yeah, i got the cd version working ok on winuae, it was awfully slow though. Unfortunately it's too big to upload on my meagre 56k connection.

But, I have the disk version too, which isn't very big and seemed too work ok too, although i haven't played far, so i dunno if copy protection kicks in later. I tried to upload it to the zone the other day but had some problems, i'll try again in a minute.
Old 31 January 2002, 00:28   #17
Warlock99

DOTT disk version

I've uploaded the 6 pc disks to the zone. To use you need to install it using your pc.
Old 31 January 2002, 09:11   #18
Riempie
Amiga freak

Has anybody got this all working on their real Amiga? I've tried it, but all I get is a black screen. Does it use a lot of memory? It did work with WinUAE.
Old 01 February 2002, 23:14   #19
Jambo
Yarr!

Location: n. A place where something is or could be located; a site.
thanks

Thanks for the upload Warlock!

Never played Day of the Tentacle, its fun!

I got it working on my Amiga 4000, it runs fine. Nice to play another good point n' click on the Amiga!
Old 11 February 2002, 11:39   #20
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
I 1st played DOTT on my PC and it was one of The best games I have played it bought me back to the days of Monkey Island 1 & 2 on my Amiga.

Anyone who hasn't played this game either Amiga or PC please do so it's one of the most enjoyable games I have played in ages