English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 October 2014, 13:47   #1
Schoenfeld
electricky.

RapidRoad USB starts shipping oct-20-2014

The new High-speed USB host controller "RapidRoad" by Individual Computers will start shipping on october 20th, 2014.

RapidRoad uses the USB Stack Poseidon, which we have purchased as a source code license back in october 2011. Now we're making use of this license and fill a huge gap in the market of Amiga hardware that has existed for a few years now. RapidRoad is based on a High-speed USB host controller chip that has not been used for the Amiga before. Although the ISP1763a can be considered the "little brother" of the chip that has been used on the fastest USB controller to date - Deneb by E3B - it can keep up with it's performance: If the X-Surf-100 is operated in Z3 mode and a high-end accelerator is used, transfer rates from USB mass storage devices can exceed 7MBytes per second.

RapidRoad can also be used for the "smaller" Amiga models, which replaces the famous "Subway" controller by E3B. Many older Amiga models are showing timing glitches on the clockport interface when larger amounts of data are transferred, so we had to develop a special interface that can safely deal with these timing glitches. This development has consumed lots of time and money, so we've decided to offer RapidRoad in a cheaper version that has the clockport interface deactivated: This version can only be used on the X-Surf-100 networking card.

Starting today, RapidRoad can be ordered in three different versions with different included cables. Please mind that if you want to pay with PayPal, you may get an error message where no real error has occured. Before you try again, please check your PayPal account: Most of the times, the order went through OK, and only the instant payment notification from PayPal did not reach our server. If the transaction is shown in your PayPal account, everything has worked out right. We're already working on a solution to this problem.
Old 13 October 2014, 14:23   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Awesome. I'm very tempted to order an X-Surf100 and RapidRoad

I'd probably get the clockport version that way I can use it with the X-Surf or clockport devices? If I understand that correctly, there's no drawback this way? (Other than the price of course!)

Edit:

If I get the clock port version will the internal header work for my front USB card reader in tandem with the rear ports?
Old 13 October 2014, 15:07   #3
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I'd probably get the clockport version that way I can use it with the X-Surf or clockport devices? If I understand that correctly, there's no drawback this way? (Other than the price of course!)
That's correct: You can remove the insulation and all cables, then install it on the X-Surf-100. This is non-destructive, meaning, you can put everything back in place and have it as shipped (well, maybe apart from some fingerprints on the plastic ;-)). Snap a pic before you disassemble, so you know where and which way round all the small parts go ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
If I get the clock port version will the internal header work for my front USB card reader in tandem with the rear ports?
RapidRoad has two USB ports only. If you put the card on the X-Surf-100, it will activate the two rear USB ports of the networking card. You *can* use the internal header, but you MUST leave the corresponding rear port(s) of the X-Surf-100 unused.

The header has standard pinout: 10-pin with key, as you can find them on many motherboards. Pretty much any internal USB thing should work. This header is active on both version of RapidRoad, so no requirement to buy the Clockport version if you want to connect something internal on the X-Surf-100.

Jens
Old 13 October 2014, 15:25   #4
liviux76

Hello,
first of all congrats on your new card!
Are there any technical differences between the "Clockport Double-USB" and the "Clockport Two Single-USB" versions?
Old 13 October 2014, 15:27   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Jens, thanks for the info that would work for me

I'd possibly use it in the future on a clock port Amiga (if say I sold the A4000) so that would be the only reason in going for the clockport version.

Unless I bought two lol
Old 13 October 2014, 15:27   #6
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liviux76 View Post
Are there any technical differences between the "Clockport Double-USB" and the "Clockport Two Single-USB" versions?
No difference, apart from the USB bracket that comes with the card.

Jens
Old 13 October 2014, 15:32   #7
liviux76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post

Jens
Thanks for your reply, I noticed the difference on the bracket and I wanted to know if that was the only difference.
Old 13 October 2014, 16:59   #8
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Hi Jens,
awesome product - thanks for finally releasing it.

One question: is it possible to use one port from the header to use something like an internal 3.5" card-reader and still have one of the rear ports on the X-Surf 100 working?

Thanks!
Old 13 October 2014, 17:03   #9
supaduper

Damn Jens you might as well have my Credit card LoL !

Gotta have one
Old 13 October 2014, 17:18   #10
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
One question: is it possible to use one port from the header to use something like an internal 3.5" card-reader and still have one of the rear ports on the X-Surf 100 working?
Just in case post#3 didn't make that clear: Yes, that will work.

Jens
Old 13 October 2014, 17:19   #11
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Amazing continual Amiga work Jens - thank you.
Old 13 October 2014, 20:43   #12
DonAmiga

Great Stuff
Old 13 October 2014, 22:18   #13
wmsteele

Order placed... had issues with the first payment, when returned to icomp.de order was shown as 'Checkout failed. Please try again or choose another payment method.' PayPal also didn't register this transaction, second attempt worked fine although it took 15min or so to register with PayPal.
Old 14 October 2014, 01:00   #14
Reido

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post

Jens
Soooo....is one more suited to the A1200 and the other the A600?

Congrats on this new product.
Old 14 October 2014, 02:51   #15
HardStep

Great news!
I was just thinking if I should use my Subway with A1200 or A600+A604n. Problem solved. Thanks.

Will we be able to purchase them through AmigaKit as well or should act quick and get it from icomp shop?
Old 14 October 2014, 03:57   #16
esc

Excellent timing - I am currently working on an a1200 project that I want to "max out" as much as possible while living in a wedge case and not using any PCI components. This will feel very at home. Thanks!

Old 14 October 2014, 05:51   #17
lantus360

ordered
Old 15 October 2014, 18:07   #18
Seoman

Ordered, but I had issues with the payment: "Checkout failed. Please try again or choose another payment method", but I have checked my paypal account and the payment is correct. Jens, is there any email to send the paypal proof of payment?.
Old 15 October 2014, 18:30   #19
BarryB
Amigaholic

I'd rather have an available IDE solution that fits with an Indi AGA mk2 installed
Old 15 October 2014, 21:02   #20
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoman View Post
Ordered, but I had issues with the payment: "Checkout failed. Please try again or choose another payment method", but I have checked my paypal account and the payment is correct. Jens, is there any email to send the paypal proof of payment?.
That's the error message mentioned in the last paragraph of the news item. I do have your order data and the money - your order is ready to be delivered.

Jens