English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 07 August 2019, 19:06   #1
blindguy

SCART cable with exposed metal

I bought a SCART cabel from the Amiga Kit Amiga Store and I need some of your thoughts.
I didn't notice in the description that they were trimmed 25-way modified connectors which have been cut down to 23-way (2x holes removed).
So when I received the cable I was surprised to find a piece of the metal which is the remander of the cut pins on the side of the cable.
I am VERY worried about using this on my precious Amiga.
They are very resistant to me returning the object and have not yet provided a RMA and keep telling me it is fine.
Also, as I am in the US, it will cost me more to ship the cable back to the UK then it is worth but I DO NOT want to put thi in my Amiga.
The Amiga Kit Amiga Store is insistant that this will not harm my computer but I'm pretty sure that they will not give me a new A500 when my goes up in smoke.

Can you guys please take a look at the pictures I have and let me know your thoughts.

I am upset as I wanted to buy one of their new A500 covers and a few other things from them but after this I can not trust them to refund shoddy work so I will probally never do business with them again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190807_065803.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	519.9 KB
ID:	64013   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190807_065813.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	64014  
Old 07 August 2019, 19:55   #2
zipper

Pah - scratch that bit away - that's it.
Old 07 August 2019, 21:39   #3
blindguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
Pah - scratch that bit away - that's it.
Thanks for the note, I'll give that a shot.
I didn't want to do surgery until they refused to accept the return.
Old 07 August 2019, 21:44   #4
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindguy View Post
Thanks for the note, I'll give that a shot.
I didn't want to do surgery until they refused to accept the return.
It is meaningless. Pin in other side is surely cut off. So it is not connected to anywhere. You are making noise for nothing.

AND

There is this -->

Quote:
Please Note: due to the lack of supply of 23-pin connectors, we are now forced to supply trimmed 25-way modified connectors which have been cut down to 23-way (2x holes removed). These modified connectors will fit the Amiga's video port without any problems.
So you did know it is cut off 25 pin connector.
Old 08 August 2019, 05:20   #5
Hewitson

Whether it is meaningless or not, it's still a terrible quality product. I wouldn't do business with Amigakit again after the way they've handled this.

Yes everyone knows the connectors are cut down 25 pin connectors but they shouldn't have bits of metal sticking out of the side.
Old 08 August 2019, 15:51   #6
lesta_smsc

I would have thought it would make sense to sand down the product to allow it not to have a rough surface. I mean, I appreciate the need for modding 25 pin connectors, but given the price of these is not particularly cheap, I would also have expected a little more effort on the side of AmigaKit.

It is trivial to some, but what is trivial to one, is not to another...

Although, I think some sort of compensation may be the best way forward as considering you're in the USA, it makes no sense to send it back or have another reshipped when you can resolve the matter yourself.
Old 08 August 2019, 16:22   #7
Daedalus

It's fine. The size of a 23-pin connector means that the edge will go through some of the contacts, so it's not like you're going to get a perfectly smooth end on the connector no matter what you do with this approach. Those pins aren't used for anything since they don't exist on the original connector, and will only be touching the Amiga's shield, so that's fine too.

What I've done, and have seen others doing, is to keep the piece of metal that's cut off and solder it back on after the required amount of plastic has been filed away. This left it in contact with the remnants of the unused pins anyway, but gave a much nicer, smooth result. That's a lot of fiddly work though, which is fine when you're making one for your own use, but if you're paying a technician to build dozens of the cables, such extra steps for no reason other than aesthetics will simply bump up the cost of the finished cable, and ultimately you end up paying an extra £5-10 for a cable that's still not using an original connector.