English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 February 2020, 15:31   #1
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I would love to see an Amiga version Spectrum Next project

I just finished watching Nostalgia Nerd's video on his Spectrum Next, and I must say they have done a sterling job with that project. Packaged nicely with lovely manuals and the hardware is gorgeous. The size of the computer is just magic.

They really have thought of everything. The way it works with new and old hardware, the new OS, the interface to monitors, the use of the Raspberry Pi, it is all just done so well. The team have thought and planned very well. I would love to see a similar project happen to our beloved machine. Not only could we take care of the past, but we could project into the future with so many projects that currently exists. Of course there are some legal snags in the way at the moment, but the potential could just be incredible. The Vampire project is half way there. We need a good shell to hold this all together....hang on....we just had the checkmate project.....not too mention so many other things happening all around the world.

Now who could get this going....?
Old 25 February 2020, 16:21   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I don't know. Maybe combine with the A1500+ project?

https://checkmate1500plus.com/IntroductionAmiga.aspx
Old 25 February 2020, 16:36   #3
Misclegend
Banned

is possible and easy to create a fast/modern "A1200 next" based on a raspberry pi motherboard and using modified winuae/uae source codes

the main problem is you will not be able to use real Amiga floppy disks since there is no real floppy drive emulator or controller capable to do that
Old 25 February 2020, 18:18   #4
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misclegend View Post
is possible and easy to create a fast/modern "A1200 next" based on a raspberry pi motherboard and using modified winuae/uae source codes

the main problem is you will not be able to use real Amiga floppy disks since there is no real floppy drive emulator or controller capable to do that

That is what I liked about the SpectrumNext, it was using a FPGA solution. So there is no linux base system sitting underneath everything.

@Gimbal, yeah, that is what I was thinking. Stephen has got some good experience in getting that up and running. Not an easy task at all. The SpectrumNext project did have big issues with the keyboard, so that would be something to look out for. I would like to see some awesome case design that mimics the A500 and A1000.
Old 25 February 2020, 18:46   #5
dreadnought

Spectrum Next really is quite an awesome design, if you disregard the keyboard fiasco. I might even get on the next (hah) kickstarter if they manage to keep the price in check (ie under 250 quid).

And this is the problem with a possible similar Amiga project. If it ever came to be, it would mostly likely command a price which is way out of my league. Amiga Reloaded's initial price is set at 350E - then you'd need another accelerator and peripherials (and this is just for the project stage). Standalone Vampire also goes for ~500E. So I guess I'll just stick with my A500 & ACA combo.
Old 25 February 2020, 19:14   #6
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Nostalgia Nerd have any Influence in this Topic hehe

So he was as stated in the First Comment!

He's a Cool YouTuber

Last edited by nathanm1991; 25 February 2020 at 19:15. Reason: Corect Myself
Old 25 February 2020, 20:33   #7
PerspexSphinx

Didn’t the “ARMIGA Project” have a real floppy drive controller?

https://www.armigaproject.com/
Old 26 February 2020, 16:16   #8
kipper2k

Funny you should mention this, Mike Stirling did a Spectrum project way back in 2011 and there were also other concurrent projects going on. with various github releases. Mabbe Mike will add a soft core on the Amiga FPGA accelerator he is currently working on if there is a demand. (Just don't distract him too much from the current project lol).

I like the part you say "and I must say they have done a sterling job with that project" fitting lol

here is a link...

https://www.mike-stirling.com/2016/0...hdl-on-github/

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
I just finished watching Nostalgia Nerd's video on his Spectrum Next, and I must say they have done a sterling job with that project. Packaged nicely with lovely manuals and the hardware is gorgeous. The size of the computer is just magic.

They really have thought of everything. The way it works with new and old hardware, the new OS, the interface to monitors, the use of the Raspberry Pi, it is all just done so well. The team have thought and planned very well. I would love to see a similar project happen to our beloved machine. Not only could we take care of the past, but we could project into the future with so many projects that currently exists. Of course there are some legal snags in the way at the moment, but the potential could just be incredible. The Vampire project is half way there. We need a good shell to hold this all together....hang on....we just had the checkmate project.....not too mention so many other things happening all around the world.

Now who could get this going....?

Last edited by kipper2k; 26 February 2020 at 20:32.
Old 26 February 2020, 16:33   #9
Gordon
Settler

Not for me I'm afraid. If it doesnt have a REAL Denise or Angus inside then its not an Amiga, its just an emulator and i can just use winuae for that.
Old 26 February 2020, 16:38   #10
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Not for me I'm afraid. If it doesnt have a REAL Denise or Angus inside then its not an Amiga, its just an emulator and i can just use winuae for that.
not sure what you are referring to Gordon. if you are referring to the fpga Accelerator it is still a real amiga, it is the same as a real CPU but faster, utilizing all the Amiga custom chips. sorry for hijacking the thread as such but you can use a real amiga for soft cores
Old 26 February 2020, 17:29   #11
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Someone craft a FPGA based Amiga with a cool carbon toned A1200 case with some nifty modern improvements like modern ports and detachable wireless keyboard top plate (for sofa convenience), and you have my money.

Old 26 February 2020, 18:13   #12
NorthWay

What is "Next"?

To me that is/was AAA, of which there is a register listing and high-level system drawing available. One would suspect that it was being built using VHDL, so you could hope that someone somewhere would have a copy and/or detail spec and the files for it.
I'm not saying everything planned would be suitably implemented, but advances in ram etc should enable something even better and more compatible than C= planned.

Last edited by NorthWay; 27 February 2020 at 14:36.
Old 26 February 2020, 18:44   #13
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
What is "Next"?

To me that is/was AAA, of which there is a register listing and high-level system drawing available. One would suspect that it was being built using VHDL, so you could hope that someone somewhere would have a copy and/or detail spec and the files for it.
I'm not saying everything planned would be suitably implemented, but advances in ram etc should enable something even better and more comaptible than C= planned.

I would guess we would have to think of 3D as well. From a sound point of view, a syth chip along side a pcm sound chip would be good.
Old 27 February 2020, 14:35   #14
NorthWay

Quote:
From a sound point of view, a synth chip along side a pcm sound chip would be good.
For me I'd rather go with the DSP C= intended for the A3000+ and then a set of software drivers and libraries to implement things like synth chips.
Which is why I'd love to get myself one of the re-implemented AA3000+ machines...
Old 27 February 2020, 15:11   #15
spudje

We of course had the Amiga X initiative. But the (naive) people behind that weren't aware of the IP and Copyright hellhole Amiga is... With something like a vampire 4SA inside, it would have done for a pretty decent "Amiga Next" IMO.

https://vintageisthenewold.com/emube...omputing-line/
Old 02 March 2020, 14:39   #16
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
For me I'd rather go with the DSP C= intended for the A3000+ and then a set of software drivers and libraries to implement things like synth chips.
Which is why I'd love to get myself one of the re-implemented AA3000+ machines...

That does sound like a nice idea. We would see some really creative projects spawn from that.
Old 02 March 2020, 14:44   #17
Hewitson

Quote:
I would guess we would have to think of 3D as well. From a sound point of view, a syth chip along side a pcm sound chip would be good.
How about giving the Amiga a cartridge slot, like it should have had in the first place, and allowing cartridges to contain YM chips, additional RAM, etc (similar to the NES).
Old 02 March 2020, 15:03   #18
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
How about giving the Amiga a cartridge slot, like it should have had in the first place
I thought it did. Excluding "Action Replay" cartridges, not a single game cartridge was ever made for Amiga.

Quote:
additional RAM, etc (similar to the NES).
If NES game cartridges came with extra RAM (not ROM) then it had to be due to the NES not having much RAM to begin with. 2KB for cpu and another 2KB for video.
Old 02 March 2020, 16:28   #19
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
How about giving the Amiga a cartridge slot, like it should have had in the first place, and allowing cartridges to contain YM chips, additional RAM, etc (similar to the NES).

Definitely some form of expansion slot that allows for all sorts of uses.
Old 02 March 2020, 17:29   #20
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
We of course had the Amiga X initiative. But the (naive) people behind that weren't aware of the IP and Copyright hellhole Amiga is... With something like a vampire 4SA inside, it would have done for a pretty decent "Amiga Next" IMO.

https://vintageisthenewold.com/emube...omputing-line/
Last update i saw from them on FB a year ago saying they were holding back launching the Amiga frontend kickstarter still in hope of getting a license! I mean if they have applied and not heard back in two years its pretty safe to say they don’t want to deal with anyone and just hold onto the name and IP like these guys have always done, nothing has changed and nothing ever will.