English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 September 2003, 00:27   #1
fiath

Amiga Game Portal / DB Link Center

Okay, there are some pretty neat projects around now.

This is just an idea, and maybe the problems are too hard to solve without doing far too much work for what you gain, but...

How about a games DB that only contains a list of games and links to the various entries of each of the following projects:

HOL - the game info source
EAGAR - maybe, as an alt to HOL
The Amiga Games Database, for user reviews
C.A.P.S. - for what is available and compatability info
MAGC, for the boxes in 3D (hehe Marc wouldn't agree )
Amiga Collectors Database - for info on what came with the games (an idea in progress)

Any others?

Perhaps it is a bad idea, or perhaps people wouldn't want to do have links at there site like this, but I personally would find it useful.
Old 23 September 2003, 06:52   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Amiga Game Portal / DB Link Center

Sounds like a good hub concept!

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
Amiga Collectors Database - for info on what came with the games (an idea in progress)
If this is the new database that details contents of game packages, maybe you could change the name to

Amiga Collectors Information Database

then, you can just call it ACID.

Old 23 September 2003, 07:15   #3
Walker

Aye, this sounds like a good idea. The question (as always) is who's going to host/create/maintain/develop the thing.
Old 23 September 2003, 09:45   #4
Mache

@fiath
brillant idea!

@twistin'ghost
i like ACID. perhaps i should really think about it...

@all
any volunteers?
Old 23 September 2003, 09:56   #5
fiath

@Twistin'Ghost

ACID: Nice

@Mache

Wasn't it your idea?

@Walker

Exactly.

I am currently thinking on the lines of three things:

1) As much that can be generated, is generated. So for example, if I could get a list of game name -> ID pairs from HOL I could do a fuzzy name comparison with the other databases. Obviously it will need hand checking, but it should be pretty painless.

2) The site will be dynamic and allow user modification. So if a game is not present, it can be added by anyone. If a link is missing, it can be filled in. Backups of the database will be taken, but by only allowing entering of ID's (number for HOL and CAPS, short mnemonic for AGDB, etc.) we can limit any damage possible.

This is only because resources are not available by single people.

3) When a game is added to any participating project, it could also be submitted to this "game resource link database". Obviously this needs collaboration, but it shouldn't be too much effort. This will avoid problems with keeping in sync.

All this means each project just needs to provide one link - and then users can be lead to all other projects that hold that game. Would be very cool IMHO.

It also assumes the links are not going to change. I know CAPS won't. HOL's? I'll have to ask The Amiga Games Database...

Hosting is not a problem. It will be very low bandwidth, so we can put it on CAPS hosting, or wherever.

Last edited by fiath; 23 September 2003 at 10:02.
Old 24 September 2003, 03:15   #6
Amiga1992

As much as we want to support HOL, CAPS and BTTR, we would like to appear in this project!

Cheers
Old 24 September 2003, 09:34   #7
fiath

We as in aGTW? Or are you Borg?

Please note, I have been thinking on this, and I don't think this site should be a "portal". It should only be a tool to provide links to site with other information about each game. So you would not normally use this site to browse games (though I guess we could provide that option), you would normally only use it from a site that just wants to provide people with other resources to a game with one link.

Think of it as a relational database table with foriegn keys. Which is really what it will be - just with a web front end.
Old 24 September 2003, 10:48   #8
Mache

oh, i thought it would be the main database for searching games. but i think it doesn't matter if it is just a database with foreign keys.

the main advantage is that you only need one link to find more information about a game. and this link can not be broken. =)

btw, i don't think that the links to the games in my db will change. each game will have an id, so this should be forever =)
Old 24 September 2003, 13:08   #9
fiath

Main DB for searching games? Well, I suppose people will use it as such since they can access everything from there, but I don't think that is the most useful purpose.
Old 24 September 2003, 16:00   #10
fiath

Just because I am full of ideas...

I guess we can do this thing two ways:

1) Make anyone welcome as long as they can populate their links. A "free for all".

2) Only allow sites that really contribute something unique about a game. For example, we might include HOL or EAGAR, but not both. Hard decision there.

I'm not really bothered though.

One thing this all hinges on though, is if I can get ID/game name pairs for the games currently in HOL, and as a start, I will link them to the CAPS ID's.

Perhaps we should ID each game by the HOL ID?

Mache, how about using HOL ID's since ACID is just starting? Or perhaps it doesn't matter if you keep a record of the matching HOL ID...

I knock together something quick after I have them - just as a proof of concept, but it won't be pretty.
Old 24 September 2003, 19:31   #11
Mache

for me, it would be no problem to use HOL IDs. but it only makes sense if hol's ids are set and won't ever change. RCK, what do you say?

i think that the links should be limit to "trusted" sites, but there should be links to sites providing the same info. it could be HOL AND EAGAR, but not "am1gaw4rez"
Old 24 September 2003, 19:44   #12
RCK
Administrator

I say that HOL's id should not change.
Old 30 September 2003, 23:22   #13
Mache

just wanted to know where we are now...
is anybody able and willing to do the db link centre?

i am currently developing the db containing info about the game boxes contents. and it will be named ACID - thanks twistin'ghost

i need your support and hope you will submit the contents of the original game releases you own!
Old 01 October 2003, 22:22   #14
fiath

I'll do the link center - when I get time. Hopefully if/when I get HOL's game ID/name info I can make a good start. Or maybe just the first 100 for a proof-of-concept?
Old 01 October 2003, 22:24   #15
Mache

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
I'll do the link center - when I get time. Hopefully if/when I get HOL's game ID/name info I can make a good start. Or maybe just the first 100 for a proof-of-concept?

btw, did you get my mails?
Old 03 November 2003, 11:21   #16
cebulba

Well.
Most of the AMIGA games contents are already listed at THE LEGACY - A German Database for ALL platforms. There you can see pictures on most of the games - with their contents...

But, I guess ACID would be a nice idea. Question comes up how you will be able to say if a game is complete or not - if you not own shrinkwrapped ones and open them...?
Old 03 November 2003, 13:06   #17
useless/spb

if it`s any help, amiganostalgia can host.