English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 06 April 2017, 12:53   #1
Nightfox

Corruption - The Original

There currently exists a slave for the version of Corruption (a text adventure) with white background windows, but I believe this version is an ugly version released after the original which had a black background, intro music and looked and felt a lot nicer and especially good in the original was text to speech support. Would a slave for the original version be able to be made? It should be simple to make as the disk version doesn't have any compatibility issues.
Old 08 May 2017, 19:58   #2
Nightfox

I managed to use the generic slave to get the game working but the intro screen at the beginning for my Amiga 1200 has the screen corrupted (ironic considering the name of the game). Can anyone help with this issue?
Old 08 May 2017, 21:45   #3
paul1981

So just to clarify, are you using your own original commercial copy of Corruption which works fine on your setup from disk? Also, that your copy is rare and not the one that the WHDLoad slave was written for?

Also, what are your machine specs / OS?
Old 08 May 2017, 22:11   #4
Nightfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
So just to clarify, are you using your own original commercial copy of Corruption which works fine on your setup from disk? Also, that your copy is rare and not the one that the WHDLoad slave was written for?

Also, what are your machine specs / OS?
This is the ORIGINAL version. I can send a photo of the actual floppy disk if you want! I believe the slave available on WHDLoad is for a later version which is probably a collectors edition which is NOT as good as the original because the text and images are all in seperate windows rather than all being in the same window and also the original has the classic Amiga text-to-speech which the later version does not. The later version is quite Franky very ugly and I hate it and I was disappointed to see this is the version which was converted to WHDLoad. Also the original version has the intro Corruption image artwork which is not present in the version currently available to download.

This was purchased long ago when my family had an Amiga 500 and I now have an Amiga 1200. Just like the generic slave I used, the intro image is flickery and looks like an interlacing artefact on steroids. This even happens when I insert the original disk so its not the fault of WHDLoad.

Also I might add the iGame screenshot shows my original version not the inferior version so I don't think my version is rare, I just think people have ignored it thinking the other version is better or something
Old 09 May 2017, 14:04   #5
paul1981

According to HOL there are two versions as you state:

"Known releases:

- V1.11 (11-Nov-86) [original release]
- V1.12 (1991) [compilation version only - The Magnetic Scrolls Collection Volume 1"

Does the WHDLoad install mention there being two versions? If not I suppose that could cause problems if an unknown version is used. The slave hasn't been updated since 2002 according to WHDLoad.de, and the slave was written by Galahad - you could try using the contact form as he may be interested in receiving your disk and incorporating it into his slave.

I can't see any mention of there not being speech in both versions if you read HOL. Unless their information is wrong of course, which may be the case.

As for the graphics corruption, have you tried any options via WHDLoad yet such as nocache, nommu, and novbrmove?
Old 09 May 2017, 15:52   #6
mark_k

My Corruption 1.11 disk says copyright 1988 on-screen when the game starts, though all file datestamps are in 1986. The disk was probably prepared on a machine with no RTC.

I have uploaded my disk (MFMWarp and PackDev images) to:
hXXps://www.media!fire.com/?dadib9c98p5tsf3
(remove ! and change hXXps to https)

I'm pretty sure the disk has never been written to since new, so its contents should be the same as the SPS IPF.
Old 09 May 2017, 17:59   #7
Nightfox

Here's my disk. Those 3 WHDLoad options didn't fix the splash screen issue. The splash screen only displays correctly on my Amiga 500. My 1200 doesn't like it.

I have tried using the currently available corruption slave but the install says the disk is wrong. This makes sense because the 2 versions of the game look very different. I know because I downloaded the version that the slave expects and it's just ugly and doesn't support text to speech.
Old 13 May 2017, 12:35   #8
paul1981

Whenever there's any problem running an A500 game from floppy on an A1200, the usual thing to do is go to the Amiga Early Startup Control (hold down both mouse buttons) and disable the cpu caches and set the Chip Type to original. If that doesn't work, softkick 1.3 (or 1.2 for really old games) or use a kickstart switcher instead. You may have luck using a tool like Degrader or TUDE too.
As for WHDLoad, I'm going to load this game myself on my A1200 today, and I'll see what happens.

Have you tried the disk image provided above by mark_k? Is his version different to yours? Have you tried installing it with his disk?
Old 16 May 2017, 20:10   #9
Nightfox

I haven't seen these 2 image formats before. How do I use them to test?
Old 16 May 2017, 20:15   #10
mark_k

If you're talking about the archive I uploaded, WinUAE supports .pkd.gz files directly. Just select the file in floppy drive settings as you would an ADF file.
Old 16 May 2017, 20:24   #11
Nightfox

oh ok I was trying to find out how to open it on a real Amiga. I can try my emulator now to see if its the same version
Old 16 May 2017, 20:34   #12
Nightfox

Yep that's the exact version that I own, even down to it saying "We recommend you turn up your brightness a little"