English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 31 August 2008, 21:55   #81
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auday View Post
And now you are claiming that you have the full rights for the game?
From what I've read so far, a claim he may be legally unable to substantiate should it come to that point. I'm reminded of a quote from Orlando A. Battista who said, "An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." Hopefully this situation will come to a conclusion that is fair and equitable for all involved.

And to you Auday, another warm welcome to EAB!

P.S. +2 cool Amiga guys for Canada!
Old 31 August 2008, 22:36   #82
ungi
Amiga Games Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydric View Post
... the disk is HEAVILY protected --- so we'll have to see if making an image of that one is easily possible at all anyways). .
This cries for a whdload fix for the game to make it playable and preserve it for the future.

If the source coulde is still available - maybe an unprotected version is possible as well.
Old 01 September 2008, 10:04   #83
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydric View Post
OK just read page 2 It's NOT too late on the disk images. I run a MUSEUM - we know about preserving disk images and history -- in fact, that's WHY I have not as of yet released the full game--it's a unique thing to find in our museum (not to mention the disk is HEAVILY protected --- so we'll have to see if making an image of that one is easily possible at all anyways).

Play the demo when I post it and give me your feedback and we'll go from there.
This game was not designed to stay in a museum - it was designed to be played by the masses!

Museums are about history - about the things which have defined us as a race and which have made the earth what it is today. This game has not had the opportunity for people to have even seen it - keeping it in a museum where it cannot be seen except on select days is the wrong thing to do!

Since the source code is available, surely it would not be too difficult to make a WHDLoad version - perhaps with a keyfile so that to play the full version you have to register the game and pay a nominal fee?
Old 01 September 2008, 10:18   #84
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

BTW, I don't trust anyone but the original programmers or fellow crackers to tell me that a game is heavily protected! Just because a disk can't be copied with X-Copy doesn't mean it is a fortress of protection!
Old 01 September 2008, 17:40   #85
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
BTW, I don't trust anyone but the original programmers or fellow crackers to tell me that a game is heavily protected! Just because a disk can't be copied with X-Copy doesn't mean it is a fortress of protection!
And ain't that the truth! I remember seeing a game on the Amiga ( i think Robocop 3 ) that required a hardware dongle to work when you bought the original but that was no problem for the crackers as was everything else pretty much.

Copy protection.. me don't think so.
Old 01 September 2008, 18:29   #86
laser
Banned

sincerely I won't get involved on this....(because I'm serious) but for me the subject about the rights of the game is a comedy

If the game exists...it's time to upload the demo anywhere and give up the comedy for the young women
Old 01 September 2008, 18:57   #87
Ironclaw
Banned

Only game I had problem with copying as a kid was Hook... it only gave me broken sectors/cylinders or whatever they are called, 79 of them anyway........ then I got a new copy program, maybe it was Bamcopy or something.. it didn't show any bad sectors/cylinders then when copying, I was thrilled ! .. but all that happen when running the disks was I saw the loading screen, nothing else....
Old 01 September 2008, 19:34   #88
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
Only game I had problem with copying as a kid was Hook... it only gave me broken sectors/cylinders or whatever they are called, 79 of them anyway........ then I got a new copy program, maybe it was Bamcopy or something.. it didn't show any bad sectors/cylinders then when copying, I was thrilled ! .. but all that happen when running the disks was I saw the loading screen, nothing else....
Ahem... Hook was Copylock protected, I would suggest either broken disks or a broken disk drive!
Old 01 September 2008, 19:36   #89
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I second Codetappers criticism of 'Heavy protection'. It is nothing more than a publishers sound bite to an eager magazine reviewer in the vain hope it will buy some time when the game gets released.

A game like this should NOT be allowed to fester in a museum, whatever the problems for the original developers, it would be criminal to see their efforts wasted like this, triumph over adversity and all that
Old 01 September 2008, 23:42   #90
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Ahem... Hook was Copylock protected, I would suggest either broken disks or a broken disk drive!
You forgot the 3rd possibility: broken disks AND a broken disk drive
Old 02 September 2008, 00:27   #91
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Eek Boo! Hiss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
A game like this should NOT be allowed to fester in a museum, whatever the problems for the original developers, it would be criminal to see their efforts wasted like this, triumph over adversity and all that
Especially when the museum is located in a single physical location that practically none of the Amiga community can realistically get to! And the only ones that can play it are some snotty nosed kids used to their PSX3, Wii's or XBox 360's that will not appreciate a classic platformer from the Amiga heyday anyway!

I mean, you could probably load up some piece of crap like Huckleberry Hound in Hollywood Capers for those kids and they would still play it.

This game deserves a decent release like Liquid Kids, Snow Bros et al!
Old 02 September 2008, 09:37   #92
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Especially when the museum is located in a single physical location that practically none of the Amiga community can realistically get to!
Not to mention that the museum is only open at limited days and times - its practically impossible to just pop in if you happen to be in the area!

http://www.pcmuseum.ca/open.asp

Only open once a month!
Old 02 September 2008, 09:51   #93
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post
Not to mention that the museum is only open at limited days and times - its practically impossible to just pop in if you happen to be in the area!

http://www.pcmuseum.ca/open.asp

Only open once a month!
6 hours open each month? Well that's nearly nothing
Why are there not more open days and hours Sydric? I thought you were talking about a museum that is open to the public for far more hours.
Old 02 September 2008, 10:10   #94
mihcael
Zone Friend

Auday, rabahs, Murtadha

What a great job they have all done, that game looks very nice indeed! I hope you can release the game and possibly make a little cash, it would be great to see the other game finished too!!! Any screenshot on that one??

Last edited by mihcael; 02 September 2008 at 10:29. Reason: :)
Old 02 September 2008, 10:14   #95
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I don't know Sydric. However I am always uncomfortable when threads begin to turn into flame wars, particularly when we are not in possession of all of the facts.

With regards to the museum, let's not be too hard on Sydric...
He is in essence sharing access to his own collection of retro machines.
He probably makes no money from the endeavour. It is more than likely that, given power costs, public insurance and building maintenance Sydric is out of pocket everytime he opens the museum.
Old 02 September 2008, 10:16   #96
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Lets not be too hard on Sydric...
He is in essence sharing access to his own collection of retro machines.
He probably makes no money from the endeavour. It is more than likely that, given power costs, public insurance and building maintenance Sydric is out of pocket everytime he opens the museum.
Well than he should charge a small fee (like 2 CDN) and open more often
Old 02 September 2008, 10:21   #97
viddi

Quote:
I don't know Sydric. However I am always uncomfortable when threads begin to turn into flame wars, particularly when we are not in possession of all of the facts.
I agree.

No flame wars, please. This could endanger the whole project.
Old 02 September 2008, 10:25   #98
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Well than he should charge a small fee (like 2 CDN) and open more often
@TCD that is a valid point. However he may have a full time job which restricts the time he can devote to opening the museum.
My point is that unless we have all the facts, criticising someone publicly is offensive and wrong.

(unless it is Doomy )
Old 02 September 2008, 10:28   #99
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Quote:
I apologise if I have said anything which may upset anyone - however it is my firm belief that the best thing for this game is not to be sat unused in an obscure and part time museum. We all know that floppy disks can become damaged and unreliable over time - not to mention the worst eventualities i.e. fire / flood etc...

This seems like a sure fire way to lose the game forever! Thank goodness that this is not the only way of getting this game back (Rabah has source code etc!)
Old 02 September 2008, 10:33   #100
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
@TCD that is a valid point. However he may have a full time job which restricts the time he can devote to opening the museum.
My point is that unless we have all the facts, criticising someone publicly is offensive and wrong.
You are right, this should of course not become a flame war of any kind. I just asked Sydric why the museum is not open more often. I think you are right about that having a full time job limits the time you can spend on such a hobby. Just let's see what Sydric has to tell and hopefully we can get the demo soon

Quote:
(unless it is Doomy )
We call him 'he-who-should-not-be-told-of'