English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 13 December 2007, 00:44   #1
AmigaBoy

Easier Quickstart

I'm seeing way too many threads lately where new users still find WinUAE too difficult to use, or they think they know what they're doing so they try to create their own configuration, which doesn't work at all (because their old Amiga Format told them they have AGA so they figure they're experts). I thought the Quickstart would've solved that by now, but apparently not.

I've created a quick mock-up of an even easier Quickstart screen.
- All of the options on the left menu are gone. This way, the user doesn't stray off and try to configure something that'll break emulation.
- The "Set Configuration" option on the Quickstart screen is gone. This one's both for me and the new users. Sometimes when I use the Quickstart and I change from an A1200 to A500, I forgot to press "Set Configuration". Any chance of making it autoset when the combo box is changed?
- A new checkbox is added "Advanced Settings". Only when this is selected will all of the standard settings be shown. This can of course be unselected to bring the user back to this easy configuration. Also, "Start in Quickstart mode" would be on by default when "Advanced Settings" is unselected. You can only uncheck it when "Advanced Settings" is selected.

I can't help but think this would make things much easier for everyone.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinUAE.gif
Views:	307
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	15450  

Last edited by AmigaBoy; 13 December 2007 at 00:47. Reason: Forgot the attachment! :)
Old 13 December 2007, 00:55   #2
Graham Humphrey

I like it, it makes things a lot easier for beginners (though it shouldn't be too hard to work out what the Quickstart box does anyway, or how to find it)
Old 13 December 2007, 02:53   #3
smoorke

Send a message via MSN to smoorke
I second the 'set configuration' removal. When i first started using winuae it took me a while to figure out that this button needs to be pressed and even now when i'm trying to switch to a quickstart configuration i manage to occasionally forget that this button needs a nudge
Old 13 December 2007, 07:57   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No to any "advanced setting" option. Check older threads.

Don't forget that QS mode is enabled by default when WinUAE is started for the first time. User action is needed to disable it!

This only moves the confusion. ("Where are all the options now?")

EDIT: Beginners should use pre-configured front end. WinUAE is not a game front end.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 13 December 2007 at 08:03.
Old 13 December 2007, 08:33   #5
AmigaBoy

True that there'll always be confusion. The thing that I've learnt in my time as a developer is that user's are extremely stupid. No offence to anyone, but it's true.

In the case of WinUAE, users are extremely stupid because they believe that they have to set every single option in order to get the emulator started. They don't realize that Quickstart is the only required screen to look at.

A perfect example comes from my own experience with users. Recently, I told a group of friends about WinUAE. They went and got the necessities and I watched them set it up. Even though they were at the Quickstart screen by default, they still went through each of the other options and asked me what everything was. I assured them they don't need to stray away from the Quickstart screen, but they kept looking through. One of the fun parts of the experience was watching them add 100's of megabytes of RAM because they're used to the "more RAM = better machine" mentality. It's for reasons like this that I think hiding the options is a better system. Many programs opt for this method of hiding options and having an "Advanced" option for the same reason. Users are stupid. That's why the Amiga was so popular in the first place. Stupid user comes along and puts in their disk. Done! That's the most they have to do if they want to play a game. If they really want to do something else, they boot up Workbench. That's their "Advanced" option.

But ok. If you think it's unnecessary, that's fine.

Quote:
EDIT: Beginners should use pre-configured front end. WinUAE is not a game front end.
Most beginners have no idea about pre-configured frontends for the Amiga. Hell, a lot of veterans have no idea either. We have GBAmiga, Lemonade and a new one recently released (whose name escapes me), but the reason their popularity isn't what it could be is because noone ever talks about them.

I realize this post is pretty much a slap in the face to new users, but I've seen every question on most Amiga forums for the last 10 years and the same questions come up all the time. It's extremely annoying. You'd think that when Quickstart was implemented, it'd stop the questions, but it hasn't.
Old 13 December 2007, 11:42   #6
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
...user's are extremely stupid...
Off topic I know, but I could help displaying this on it's own. Oh the irony
Old 13 December 2007, 12:01   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

btw, "Set Configuration" is only visible if "Start in QS-mode"-checkbox is not enabled. This won't change.
Old 13 December 2007, 12:28   #8
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Off topic I know, but I couldn't help displaying this on its own. Oh the irony
Corrected that for you.

Oh the irony.
Old 13 December 2007, 12:42   #9
AmigaBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Off topic I know, but I could help displaying this on it's own. Oh the irony
My grammar is hardly something I meticulously look over before submitting a post
Old 13 December 2007, 22:38   #10
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Corrected that for you.

Oh the irony.
Wow, that's double the irony. I'm somewhat humbled
Old 14 December 2007, 19:17   #11
Ed Cruse

Personally I like the way QS is now. I have to admit, in the beginning I didn't know what it was. After awhile it occured to me what it was all about, so now I use it a lot for testing purposes and to see how Toni would set things up.

I definitely want to keep the "set configuration" button, that way I can play around with the various settings knowing they won't go into memory until I hit the button. If the QS config goes into memory automatically I may not realize it or forget, hit save and trash my original config file. To me the current QS is simple and straight forward. I think for new users a "QS Instructions" selection could be added right above the QS selection which could give a short description of what QS is for and how to use it. Of course, as it was said earlier in this thread, people are stupid and no matter what you do they're going to do the wrong thing, I probably would have too.

I definitely don't think making WinUAE think for us is the right solution, that just makes it even more difficult. I think Windows is a good example of that.
Old 17 December 2007, 05:44   #12
flipper

what about annoying pop up help bubbles that can be disabled and/or a now press this button or are you sure type requester

just a suggestion but i think i know the answer(the first thing i did when i started was go through the advance settings and change things without reading a single read me - im an amigan come with the terratory)
Old 17 December 2007, 21:28   #13
DamienD
Banned

See Jason's other thread Hints from within the GUI with similar ideas