English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 May 2010, 01:50   #1
Leandro Jardim

Boing Bag 2 ROM Updade Bug?

Hi, I am using WinUAE (the latest version) with OS 3.9 and Boing Bag 2. When I hold both mouse buttons to enter early setup and (with the ROM Updates loaded previously) click in "boot with no startup-sequence", the system crashes and the shell doesnt start. And I must do a cold-reset in WinUAE to it recover from the crash.

This happens with other versions of UAE I used, also. This is a known problem with UAE or is a problem with my ROM Update? After the crash, SetPatch says the ROM Update in RAM is corrupt. The problem is with my ROM Update files?

Another problem: when I execute the format icon of the system drawer, the system crashes also. Again, this happens with other versions of UAE I used. The locale preferences tool crashes when I do some combinations of languages.

I am asking how to solve these things, because at least for me, these bugs are common. I scanned the system with an anti-virus (Virus-Z) and nothing was found, so if it is a virus, its not known yet. I do not have any more questions about WinUAE and Boing Bag 2. For me, I am very happy with WinUAE!

Thanks!

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 11 May 2010 at 02:11.
Old 11 May 2010, 03:51   #2
gulliver
BoingBagged

Hi, first thing, check that your BoingBag 2 Rom Update is properly installed and not corrupted (as that seems to be the issue). Then check that your WinUAE settings are compatible with AmigaOS 3.9. I regularly use WinUAE, used BoingBag2, and had no issues whatsoever.

The format crash you are getting is normal under 3.9. It is a WinUAE bug that is only visible if you use a Windows drawer as your harddisk. If however, you use a harddisk file (HDF) or mount a real Amiga harddrive on your PC, that crash wont happen, and the format command will work flawlessly.

I hope it helps.
Old 11 May 2010, 09:02   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Near-guaranteed to have nothing to do with emulation or this forum would be filled with similar problems.. (but try some basic configuration first, especially make sure chipset extra is properly setup)

Quote:
The format crash you are getting is normal under 3.9. It is a WinUAE bug
How is it winuae bug when format command is dummy enough to attempt to format "network share"-like drive. (no Amiga storage device under the filesystem)
Old 11 May 2010, 10:26   #4
gulliver
BoingBagged

@Toni Wilen
Well, maybe I was a bit harsh in calling it a bug. I am sorry for that.

But then it does not represent the behaviour of ordinary Amigas with harddrives. I know it is an emulator, on a "network share", but then for us, the non enlighted, simple users, most of the time when we use WinUAE with Windows drawers, we assume that the behaviour, as said before would be like an ordinary Amiga with a harddrive, when it is not.

I am not a techguy/coder, nor is Leandro Jardim, just simple users, so we both assume that particular crash as an abnormal behaviour, despite not being like that technically speaking.
Old 11 May 2010, 10:39   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Technically it is a format bug but because it does not crash when attempting to format for example ram disk (which is similar), there should be something that can be made to prevent format from attempting to format directory harddrives.

Unfortunately that something is unknown..
Old 11 May 2010, 11:36   #6
Leandro Jardim

I read somewhere the BoingBag 1 or 2 is incompatible with the 68EC020 of the Amiga 1200, is this true? If so, this is the problem. It may need a full 32 bit processor?

Sorry Toni, we all like WinUAE!

Thanks!
Old 11 May 2010, 11:42   #7
thomas

@Toni: they don't try for format the directory HDD. They try to run Format from Sys:System without parameters from Workbench. The Format program is supposed to open a GUI which lists all drives which can be formatted so that you can choose one. The creation of the list crashes, not a format attempt.
Old 11 May 2010, 11:47   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
@Toni: they don't try for format the directory HDD. They try to run Format from Sys:System without parameters from Workbench. The Format program is supposed to open a GUI which lists all drives which can be formatted so that you can choose one. The creation of the list crashes, not a format attempt.
I didn't even know format can be run that way from WB.. I have only used it from command line or WB's menu.
Old 11 May 2010, 12:38   #9
Leandro Jardim

So the problem is not with the 24 bit address bus? I say this because this night I reinstalled AmigaOS 3.9 from the CD and the two Boing Bags and the problem persists. I add the NOROMUPDATE switch to the SetPatch command and it works correctly.
Old 11 May 2010, 13:45   #10
Leandro Jardim

Help me with a thing... I used a fresh WinUAE QuickStart A4000 configuration and modified it to load my hardfile and it works only if I use a bit of 32 bit Fast RAM. With Normal Fast RAM it crashes. Happens if I use an A1200 ROM or an A4000 Cloanto ROM.

I am using the machine in the same way like before, booting with the early setup. What can be?
Old 11 May 2010, 17:43   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Sys:System/Format without parameters from Workbench
It crashed with division by zero because "non-existing" block device under virtual directory had (non-existing) block size of zero.
Old 11 May 2010, 19:55   #12
thomas

A non-existing block device shouldn't have a DosEnvec at all, should it ?

Or did you mean that by non-existing block size ? This would mean it followed a NULL pointer ?

Probably it does not even need a FileSysStartupMsg. This would also cause Format (and other programs creating a device list) to not list it at all IMHO.
Old 12 May 2010, 16:46   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
A non-existing block device shouldn't have a DosEnvec at all, should it ?
Perhaps. Directory harddrive DosEnvec is surely made for compatibility. In theory directory harddrives should be like RAM disk or network share but in emulation it should also look like a bootable block device.
Old 12 May 2010, 20:30   #14
thomas

If it's there for compatibility, then it should contain compatible values, shoudn't it ?
Old 12 May 2010, 20:46   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
If it's there for compatibility, then it should contain compatible values, shoudn't it ?
Perhaps

This was done before I started working with UAE. Anyway, I changed "geometry" values to something non-zero too, hopefully it does not break any existing programs.