English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 August 2018, 21:49   #21
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

What i really like are the new reviews of unknown or less known games, that time to time appear on Lemon.
Old 15 August 2018, 16:00   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Indeed. I don't find much enjoyment in reading reviews for games I have already ready numerous reviews for over the decades. I like more videos and articles that dive into details that have popped up since then.

What I never get enough of is seeing other people play retro games and experience how they react to the game.
Old 15 August 2018, 16:51   #23
Nobby_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Absolutely not. Many reviews of the time were false as the reviewer would be paid to say a shit game was good.
Nothing has changed there then (Maybe payment in kind ZQ )
Old 20 August 2018, 16:10   #24
puppypc

I agree with Predseda and Gimbal. When I'm looking to play a game, I typically just want to know what the gameplay is like, what the graphics and interface is like, and whether or not there is anything seriously detrimental (like an unpatched bug that makes it unbeatable).

I usually just check wikipedia (for console games) and google images to get that information, then move to database sites like lemon, HOL, etc, and a last resort to blog reviews. In this day and age, it only takes about 90 seconds to download and boot up a game to see for myself, unless there is something particularly endearing about a game's review.
Old 20 August 2018, 16:28   #25
lantus360

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
Would you get anything out of reading a recent review of an old game, or skip it because you know them like the back of your hand and so assume there's nothing new to learn?

If you were going to bother at all, is it better to read what an Amiga journalist had to say on the subject back in 1991 rather than what Joe Bloggs thinks in 2018?

If you wouldn't read a new-retro review, would you read a review of a brand new Amiga game you're not already familiar with?

its for entertainment above anything else
Old 20 August 2018, 16:40   #26
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Would you get anything out of reading a recent review of an old game, or skip it because you know them like the back of your hand and so assume there's nothing new to learn?
If that statement were true, the magazine RetroGamer would have closed years ago. Us old gits love nostalgia.

But the reviews must bring something new to the table to keep my attention.
  • Background or interviews with the original team
  • Easter eggs in the game
  • Speed runs / walkthroughs
  • Netplay (i.e. multiplayer games being used over the internet, either via modified emulator, or using IOT devices connected to serial ports)
  • Sequels on other platforms (or non-sequels done by the same team, e.g. Ambermoon -> Albion)

Quote:
would you read a review of a brand new Amiga game you're not already familiar with?
It depends. I'd probably rather watch a video review on youtube where someone is playing the game than read about it.
Old 20 August 2018, 21:08   #27
Juz400

Maybe we should try and get Angry Video Game Nerd a WORKING PAL Amiga!

Then again, he might have a breakdown with the amount of the absolute dross that was passed off as full price games.

I do like the videos that show the same game on all the platforms it was released on, quite surprising which platforms come out on top at times
Old 21 August 2018, 11:23   #28
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juz400 View Post
Maybe we should try and get Angry Video Game Nerd a WORKING PAL Amiga!

Then again, he might have a breakdown with the amount of the absolute dross that was passed off as full price games.

I do like the videos that show the same game on all the platforms it was released on, quite surprising which platforms come out on top at times
The Angry Video Game Nerd doesn't care about the Amiga; despite him mentioning the platform in the full version of his song from years ago, he never EVER reviewed any games on Amiga (correct me if I'm wrong). Heck, he went out of his way to blow up an A600 in his movie instead.
Old 21 August 2018, 13:01   #29
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
To answer Your question - no.
In my humble opinion reviews are a good think if You have Your point of view and can present it in interesting way. Reading ten times how Superfrog or Lotus are the greatest Amiga games because they are most popular ones and everybody knows that too - is not fun. But if You can to present Your own opinion, point of view, with arguments that cool. If You can show us some trivia that no body found before that is even more cooler I love reading interviews and getting answers.
My point of view got stuck somewhere....

http://www.abime.net/apov/
Old 21 August 2018, 13:21   #30
haynor666
retro maniac

There plenty of less know games out there so if I find review of unknown or at least never/rarely played game and it turn to be quite good I'll find review helpfull. Especially this is true for rarely played platforms like PC98, FM-Towns and other Japan only computers. It's really hard to find some good games among thousand of games.
Old 21 August 2018, 13:41   #31
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor666 View Post
There plenty of less know games out there so if I find review of unknown or at least never/rarely played game and it turn to be quite good I'll find review helpfull. Especially this is true for rarely played platforms like PC98, FM-Towns and other Japan only computers. It's really hard to find some good games among thousand of games.
I find myself going through systems that I did not own back then, reading reviews and trying games that I would otherwise never try.
Old 22 August 2018, 00:36   #32
spiff
Oh noes!

No, as long as you have fun producing them, then great..

But I get the feeling a lot of ppl put their heart into some project they love and then get disappointed when everyone else just ignore them or complain.

"old" msg boards, EAB, Neo-geo.com, neo-gaf etc tend to have this problem, bitter folks around who have read the same post/arguments too many times.

*edit* +1 for the youtube suggestions, may even earn some beer money out of that.
Old 30 August 2018, 19:43   #33
nobody

Not completely pointless when you see games like Deliverance got 92% back in the day. True rating should be high 60s or so. Only Amiga Power gave it a somewhat normal rating of 75%.
Old 31 August 2018, 00:47   #34
Gaelion

I personally think Amiga games reviewed with nowadays point of view can be really interesting.
That said, I love going through the AMR to read old reviews
Old 04 September 2018, 19:59   #35
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
My point of view got stuck somewhere....

http://www.abime.net/apov/
I've read all issues of APOV and loved 'em. What was the reception like to that? Hopefully it's stalled due to lack of time rather than lack of interest.
Old 04 September 2018, 20:17   #36
ZEUSDAZ

No Amiga bad games reviewed often?!,...then you need to check my "Shit Game Time" section out, all bad games across various formats being reviewed (many amiga ones) whilst holding on to my sanity and whilst being myself,...not a fake character.
Here's the whole SGT section, enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...fklqwZi6s2J0eh

And for the good games, here's the full library: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cqLzZQDfjOfQ_n

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
What I never get enough of is seeing other people play retro games and experience how they react to the game.
Check these out then dude, I'm pretty sure you've checked some out before: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...fklqwZi6s2J0eh

Last edited by lilalurl; 04 September 2018 at 21:27.
Old 04 September 2018, 22:09   #37
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Because Some Games Are Just Asking For It (tm)

I've seen a lot of your videos, negative and positive, and I think you get the balance right. Anyone not into the ranty ones can easily spot them and steer clear if that's an issue. Thanks for all the laughs. Even though you've retired/are taking a break there's a massive back catalogue to check out so it would take the casual viewer a long time to notice.
Old 05 September 2018, 00:43   #38
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Because Some Games Are Just Asking For It (tm)

I've seen a lot of your videos, negative and positive, and I think you get the balance right. Anyone not into the ranty ones can easily spot them and steer clear if that's an issue. Thanks for all the laughs. Even though you've retired/are taking a break there's a massive back catalogue to check out so it would take the casual viewer a long time to notice.

Thank you for the kind words, and you'll be pleased to know that I'M BACK! THIS SUNDAY 7.30PM (BST) WITH A NEW LIVESTREAM!!!!
HUUUGE announcement will be up here in the forums tomorrow announcing it along with what the plan is,...one of them is a new World Record Speedrun attempt on Bruce Lee for the Spectrum,...and if I don't succeed?!,...well that's where all you that tune in on that night come into it,...enough said
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRUCE.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	59690  
Old 05 September 2018, 02:41   #39
Seiya

however, in the past magazine you never saw, or at least in rare cases, a bad game review.
Today maybe threre is more chance to read a review about these games.
Old 10 September 2018, 09:50   #40
NLS
Ancient User

New reviews of old games are nice.
After all, whoever doesn't like to read them, well don't.

I like to read them because:
- I get the chance to find out about games I wasn't aware back then.
- I see how some games I know stand the test of time.
- I recall things related to those games.
- I see a different view for games I know. I love agreeing with the reviewer on how good or bad a game is.

I actually plan to re-re-review games I just want to have my own feedback on.