English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 October 2007, 17:22   #21
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

So who's going to be the first to hack and deface amiga-news.de in protest? (Joke)

I emailed him yesterday, no response.

Maybe we should start a petition, showing how much we appreciate his software. Anyone know a good online petition site?
Old 31 October 2007, 18:34   #22
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
A mutiny?!

Mutiny on the (Amiga) Bounty?

Feels like that, eh?
And those other developers are some sort of seamen who protest against Cap'n Hodges of which they demand his unconditional surrender. Or at least a plea of guilty.

My goodness.

But note this is a GERMAN forum. In contrary to e. g. Southern Europeans like Italians and Turks as well as Middle Eastern people like Arabs (who often like to "solve" "problems" by using their physical powers, check some of your local pubs ), Germans seem to have a verbal "discussing and disputing fetish". And they are obviously very patient in these disputes and quite easily offended likewise. You can see wagonloads of these meta-discussions and meta-disputes on Wikipedia Germany through every f§$kin day.

Last edited by andreas; 31 October 2007 at 18:46.
Old 31 October 2007, 22:52   #23
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ Andreas

No offence intended to you by saying this, but I know what you mean, it's like trying to hold an emotional debate with Vulcans, all Germans want to talk about is logic and straight line arguments, anything that doesn't fit that mind set gets ignored or altered to fit their thinking, that is exactly what was going on at the amiga-news.de site, I read German and got the general drift of what went down on there. Publically spitting their collective dummies out because of a few trollers getting stroppy will only hurt their credibility, they can't hold the scene to ransom just because they don't like what people say.

Merlin
Old 31 October 2007, 23:18   #24
DrF
Blessed A1200 Of TeH Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Maybe we should start a petition, showing how much we appreciate his software. Anyone know a good online petition site?
We could give this a go :

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/

I think its time Amiga development came right up the political agenda or something...
Old 01 November 2007, 07:24   #25
hippie2000

i know amiga-news forum well and its always the same. the last people who
do something for the amiga, no matter what platform thread, worked hard to
get something realised, post their news, and maximum half of the users
comment on topic, some always comment negative, few comment in a way
that the developer at least doesnt feel bad to have released some work.

nothing for people without thick skin. besides that most topics get used for
iterative who's right and who's wrong combats usually found in usenet
comp.sys.amiga.advocacy...

i could understand people who leave the amiga market (which market?) or
the amiga community (not really united but mostly good people) because
of a brand that shows up everywhere with trolling and flamewars.
imho we should collect a bounty to buy the trolls a nice island...

@toni: no you were serious even if you didnt intend to be
Old 01 November 2007, 14:17   #26
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

This is from Amiga.org, it kind of sums things up but isn't a comfortable read...

"I have this to say, it's a bit controversial but sod it.

No-one is bigger than the scene, OK, so some of the bigger fish have spat their dummy out and knee-capped some useful hardware, but bear in mind they are trying to update 20-year old hardware. You can't reasonably expect 20 year old hardware to keep being updated indefinitely, the comment about Atari users and PS/2 mice is exactly the point, eventually the party has to end, in-fighting with a scene that is at best eclectic and at worst a dinosaur, the bigger picture is that we are all rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.....

Chris obviously had a bad day and the troll's comment hit the spot, it only take one more straw to break the camel's back, why keep developing hardware for outdated kit and keep taking flak from ungrateful sods who can only say "Gimme!" and complain when it doesn't take their Amiga up to the spec of an Athlon, Jesus wept, what do they actually expect? TBH I am not surprised Chris jacked it in, you can only have so much patience......

If you want performance, buy a 3 Ghz PC and run WinUAE, otherwise, be like some of use who are just happy to get CD-ROM drives running under IDEFix, I have never expected sh!t hot performance and USB compatibility, it is a nice to have but not the be all and end all of the Amiga scene.

The Amiga these days is a bit like having your Dad come to your 18th birthday party in his Ford Cortina and start dancing to your modern music like it was the 1980s, yes, it was really good at the time, but you realise now that it has had it's day, accept that the party won't last forever and enjoy it while it lasts...that's how I am looking at it now, I am in my mid-forties and am probably in the same boat as my Amiga these days....

Sorry if you are offended by the above, I needed to give some people on here a reality check.

Peace...."

There are other USB units out there you could use on the Amiga but you can only upgrade the Miggy so far, accept the scene for what it is instead of killing it through in-fighting about what, by definition, are niche products for a limited market.

/me goes off to troll at Ford, as to why they won't fit ABS and airbag support to my 1981 Cortina, LOL

Merlin

Last edited by Merlin; 01 November 2007 at 20:50.
Old 01 November 2007, 15:52   #27
DrF
Blessed A1200 Of TeH Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
/me goes off to troll at Ford, as to why they won't fit ABS and airbag support to my 1981 Cortina, LOL

Merlin
I wonder...
Could be onto something there you know.
Old 01 November 2007, 18:03   #28
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
This is from Amiga.org, it kind of sums things up but isn't a comfortable read...

"....Sorry if you are offended by the above, I needed to give some people on here a reality check.

Peace...."

Merlin
The guy who posted this is brilliant. Simple, honest, and to the point. Some people just can't let go. But as I have always maintained, some people can't accept evoultion, or that we as humans are like all animals; bound to die and rot. Nothing more.
These thought are indeed uncomfortable, and hiding one's head in the sand collectively is shameful.
And quite ridiculous.
At least OS4 one can use on a decent spec machine.
Old 01 November 2007, 20:48   #29
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Thanks Fred, it hit the spot with me and I thought it was worth sharing.

Merlin
Old 02 November 2007, 20:12   #30
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Merlin
No offence intended to you by saying this
None taken!! Mind you, I'd never dare view my nation through pink glasses, that would make no sense!
(I hate the colour pink fwiw )
Old 08 November 2007, 04:56   #31
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Thanks Fred, it hit the spot with me and I thought it was worth sharing.

Merlin
bravo.

best post i've read in ages. well done!
Old 08 November 2007, 07:28   #32
keropi

as small update, Chris Hodges announced that poseidon USB stack for 68k is pretty much complete with many features, and that it already supports the new ZorroIII USB card from E3B, that will also come with an OEM version of poseidon.