English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 01 May 2016, 19:14   #1
DamienD
Banned

Phoenix Fighters - "HD install" --> "ADFs"

Hello there,

This weekend in my spare time I've been working on another "HD install" --> "ADFs" project

This time it's: "Phoenix Fighters": http://hol.abime.net/1048

You need to use an AGA configuration with at least 2MB Chip & 1MB Fast RAM; though I just use a 2MB Chip & 4MB Fast RAM configuration...

As per usual; you can use this set with 1 or 2 disks drives...

Anyway; archive now in The Zone! and also on the EAB file server with the rest of my "HD install" --> "ADFs" archives under the directory "~Uploads/DamienD/HD INSTALL --> ADFS"

Hopefully WinUAE / GameBase Amiga / A1200 Gotek / A1200 users without hard drives will appreciated this.

Comments / feedback; let me know
Old 01 May 2016, 20:45   #2
butfluffy

thanks for another one
Old 02 May 2016, 13:14   #3
DamienD
Banned

Slight update to the archive which means that it will also work with the following configuration:

... 68000 / ECS / KS 3.1 / 2MB Chip & 1MB Slow RAM

Updated archive in The Zone! and also on the EAB file server under the directory "~Uploads/DamienD/HD INSTALL --> ADFS"
Old 02 May 2016, 13:30   #4
DamienD
Banned

Oh, I should point out that the title screen has less colours when using ECS than AGA:

ECS:

AGA:

HOL also mentions; 68020 CPU or higher (for enhanced graphical effects + other improvements)

...so if you can use AGA
Old 02 May 2016, 20:55   #5
Amiganiac73

Thanks DamienD

This HD - ADF series are cool

You really got the trick to make HD only games work with floppy and ADF
images my friend.

Thank you again
Old 02 May 2016, 22:49   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiganiac73 View Post
Thanks DamienD

This HD - ADF series are cool

You really got the trick to make HD only games work with floppy and ADF
images my friend.

Thank you again
Thank you for the kind words my friend; much appreciated

They are getting easier as I use the same logic to create any new ones... Saying that, Gloom 97 Special Edition took me a few days to work out

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=82422

... Install to .HDF.
... Created a logical file structure.
... Delete / edit out the DLM cracktro that seemed to cause issues.
... Package up into 3 x .LZX files and then copy to 3 x .ADFs.
... Write the "s/startup-sequence" & "s/startup-sequence2" along with copying required "c" / "l" / "libs" / "s" directory files etc.
... Get around the "LoadWB" issue.
... Test etc.

Yes, I get that installing games to a .HDF (or on a real Amiga with hard drive) isn't that difficult when you know how and in the last few weeks I've learnt how to achieve this

...but; the Amiga is a complex machine compared to Windows (for me anyway) and not everyone has the luxury of having a hard drive.

I'll share a lovely PM that I received from PortugesePilot a few weeks ago (as I'm sure he won't mind):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
I presume that means that all these "HD Installs" --> "ADFs" are also working on A1200 with your Gotek drive?

Ciao,
D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugese Pilot
Yes! All of them are working great since you made them "single drive friendly". Before that they only ran on WinUAE (I do have an external disk drive, but I'm out of floppies so I could not transfere the disks over). Now all of them run on my real A1200. My A500 isn't so lucky but that's due to the games themselves.

Again: excellent work, DamienD! We highly appreciate it. Don't let some nay-sayers put you down and keep up the great work.

Cheers!
Also; there is GameBase Amiga that can easily use these "HD installs" --> ".ADFs" without issue

...so I will keep making these when I can. There are of course limitations due to the size of the files on a hard drive and then the amount of RAM one can set in WinUAE (or has in a real Amiga).

Anyway; I'm happy to be giving people a different option and very glad to hear that someone appreciates my work
Old 24 October 2016, 18:38   #7
Vollldo

Thanks for this one Damien, but why so much memory as HOL mentions 1 Mb required ?

Old 24 October 2016, 18:51   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vollldo View Post
Thanks for this one Damien, but why so much memory as HOL mentions 1 Mb required ?
Unfortunately that's the issue with all these "HD install --> ADFs" packages

The files from the hard drive install can be large so... I then compress all directories / files, put onto separate .ADFs and create scripts to uncompress / swap disks / start the game etc...

When booting the files uncompress into RAM. That's why the RAM requirements are high.

...but it's the only way that I know of to run these "HD only" games without actually having a hard drive.
Old 24 October 2016, 19:04   #9
Vollldo

Thanks for these informations Damien, i should by extra RAM so !