English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 June 2020, 01:29   #1
rare_j
Zone Friend

LGR Amiga Checknmate 1500 build

New video from LGR where he builds a Checkmate 1500.

Interesting, as he uses a lot of modern bits and bobs and adapters that are necessary these days the fit a wedge amiga into a big box. I didn't know about those usb keyboard adapters though, very clever.

At the end Clint says how he wants to upgrade his amiga... yet he already has a literally perfect gaming set-up: a compactflash card, 8mb fast ram, and even a Microvitec multisync!!
A network card or compactflash adaprer might be handy for the PCMCIA slot to transfer over new stuff perhaps.

LGR videos regularly get a 250k+ views so it'll be interesting what impact this has on the amiga scene.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 June 2020, 01:42   #2
lesta_smsc

Very interesting indeed. Nice review of the case!
Old 27 June 2020, 10:17   #3
Revenile

It's been years since he covered the Amiga 500, so my heart was aflutter seeing him mention Amiga again.
Old 27 June 2020, 12:00   #4
alpine9000

Entertaining video, enjoyed watching it. I’ll take that 1230 off his hands if he has no use for it
Old 27 June 2020, 12:31   #5
lilwshu

I like the look of this case but considering the price a few things irk me as someone only really interested in using an A1200 with it (most of which raised in the LGR vid):

- Incomplete A1200 support - at least supply a blank for the holes in the keyboard case and a more elegant solution for the Keyrah. I would probably try to get hold of a generic USB keyboard personally rather than go through the faff of using the proper one for a half finished look.

- Keyboard case is a different colour to the main case - I guess they had to choose whether to match non-yellowed keycaps or the case itself, I think they made the wrong choice.

- Taking the lid off over the edge of a desk - this smacks of a workaround for a mistake.

- Not being able to fit full length accelerators in without taking the motherboard out - not good but not sure what could have been done here (probably a riser as per the A500).

To me the benefits of a desktop case are somewhere to put your monitor, and ease of opening up/swapping bits out, and this only seems to achieve the first one in the case of the A1200.
Old 27 June 2020, 15:46   #6
MikeyG

Did smile when I saw a new LGR video and special treat with it being Amiga.
I too hope it brings new people exploring the Amiga.
I thought it was a fair review of the case too. I like my wedge case A1200 so be sticking put.
But I learnt about that joystick with jump button configuration, didn't know they existed and will be sourcing one of those.
Old 27 June 2020, 18:38   #7
Avrovulcan

Always enjoy LGR. Found his assessment very interesting and fair.
I vaguely remember this back in the day and the issues he had trying to get it to market. Glad he persevered and kept at it.
I might consider getting one. I dont have an Amiga 1200 any more so my options are to buy the keyboard off Ebay and a ceaseless main board or build a new main board from scratch. I dont see the point of buying a complete A1200 only to pull it to bits.

Kind Regards
Andy
Old 28 June 2020, 16:07   #8
E-Penguin
Banana

Looks like July's purchased is decided