English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 April 2016, 17:54   #1
RoguePilgrim

Amiga 600HD light grey screen

Hey guys, so I just recently bought my first ever amiga and for the first few days it was working, and I played it two days ago in the morning, went to see my girlfriend, came back and now it won't boot up at all. It just goes from dark grey to light grey screen and sometimes when I boot it up, it loads into just a plain white screen. I have no clue what to do. Does anyone know what's wrong with it? The hard drive won't boot up and the floppy drive won't work either, they just don't turn on. I can press the caps lock key 12 times and then it doesn't work. I've tried running it through RF, composite, RGB scart and it does the same thing every time.

When I frist got it though, sometimes when I had a mega drive controller plugged into it (it came with it ), when I would boot up the system, it wouldn't load into the OS, and sometimes it would give me this error message saying " software failure - press left mouse button to continue error : 8000 0004 task : 00026D0 " and yesterday, I kept turning the machine off and on through out the day, to make sure it would work again, and one time after two mins of it being on, the hard drive started to boot and then it gave me that error, but when I pressed the left mouse button, it done anything and I have tried since then to get it to do that again, but nothing has worked.

Old 09 April 2016, 18:31   #2
kipper2k

Hi,

When the a600 freezes on the white initialisation screen it normally points to an error with the even CIA.Did you plug something in the last time you used it with the computer turned on ? it is possible you shorted something that wouldnt affect anything until the next time the computer was turned on. It could also be the capacitors that need replacing. bottom line is it can probably be fixed so dont give up on it
Old 09 April 2016, 18:45   #3
RoguePilgrim

The only things I have plugged into my amiga was the mouse, the mega drive controller and a joystick called the quickshot that also came with the system. But last time that it worked, I only had the mouse plugged into it. So I don't believe I could of shorted anything.

My brother in law (who is an IT technician) looked at the amiga to see if any capacitors have bulged but he couldn't see anything.

Also, it mostly freezes on the white screen, but sometimes the light grey one. So if it is the even CIA, how would I go about fixing it?

Many Thanks,

Sam.

Old 09 April 2016, 20:27   #4
kipper2k

Capacitors do not necessarily have to bulge to be bad. Check the solder joints of all the electrolytic caps, see if they are a dull grey colour (they should be shiny). That is also an indication of tired caps.

Before touching the CIA i would start the less invasive option of replacing the caps, there are places that offer this service if you are not willling to do it yourself and there are a few threads on the suject.

One more test, turn it on and let it sit for a couple of minutes and see if it does boot, if it does then that is a good indication of tired caps
Old 10 April 2016, 20:44   #5
Amiga1992

SMD capacitors don't bulge, they can "pop" from the plastic below though.
Old 10 April 2016, 23:05   #6
bebek

Replace caps as other said and you have problem sorted. If you need help send me PM
Old 11 April 2016, 00:11   #7
RoguePilgrim

Hello everyone. I left the amiga on for 2 hours, but nothing happened. Also, does anyone know how much getting the caps replaced would be? I don't trust myself doing it, so what is the kind of prices to pay for someone to do it as a service.

thanks,
sam

Old 11 April 2016, 01:04   #8
jimbob

Where are you in Scotland? I can look at this for you and perform recap and other repairs. Send me a PM if you want to sort something with someone local-ish.
Old 11 April 2016, 11:20   #9
RoguePilgrim

Well, I'm from Irvine, North Ayrshire, but I just moved to Manchester very recently. So I unfortunately won't be back in Irvine till July this year, to see my Mother. But thank you for the offer though. :3

edit: ignore this post, I thought he said to come to my house. XD I just woke up when I read this. xD

Last edited by RoguePilgrim; 11 April 2016 at 21:51.

Old 11 April 2016, 22:17   #10
jimbob

Hehe, no you'd have to get it to me, which would be easy if we were close, which it turns out we would have been if you were still here. I have been reminded to update my location anyway.
Old 13 April 2016, 07:31   #11
glenn
Repulsive

How about the very very common A600-problem with the reset-circiut ? I have fixed several A600 and they have all had that problem, the 555 used for reset at cold boot have a cap that go bad and then it hold reset all the time and the machine do not start.

I just dont remember which color it stops at.

You can measure the resetline and see the state of it with a multimeter if you don't have a oscilloscope.