English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 07 August 2007, 10:25   #1
Rivkid

Help identify these components!! (photo heavy thread)

Hi all,

Ok the below pics are from inside my A1500. I don't really know what they are so any advice / ideas would be great as I really need to get a working HDD and CD drive in there.

These above are both ends of a connector used to connect harddisk to the hard drive controller. No idea what kind of connectors they are or what hard disk they will connect to.

The above are two ends of a second cable that also connects to the HD controller and HD. Again no idea what it is or what HD it fits.

The above looks like some kind of mod thats been added. Two solders to the main board wired together but with a connector in the middle to break/connect the link at will

The above looks like some kind of RAM board maybe? No idea..

The above is an AGA chipset board. I don't have an EGA monitor to test it. Anyone know if it will require software or not? If not I might buy an EGA - VGA cable and connect to my PC monitor.

Thanks for any help guys!

Pete

EDIT

Also here is the HDD controller card - a2090

Last edited by Rivkid; 07 August 2007 at 10:49.

Old 07 August 2007, 11:18   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You know that the 2090 is a Non Autobooting SCSI controller.

The SCSI cable connector is the long 50-pin connector on the far left of the picture.

Those cables you have look like they are for the ST506 (XT interface) which is along the bottom edge of your photo. That interface is useless today, you'll never get a reliable hard drive for it.

Get a 50-pin narrow SCSI hard drive + cable off ebay.

You may need to get a 68-pin or 80-pin hard drive and an adapter.

Last edited by alexh; 07 August 2007 at 11:32.
Old 07 August 2007, 11:41   #3
Rivkid

HI there,

Thanks for the help. The 2090 is autobootable if you add boot roms from what I've read and comparing mine to stock photo's there are some extra chips in there so fingers crossed!! I don't really mind though to be honest - floppy boot to WB is fine.

Your spot on about the ST506 interface and when I saw a drive on ebay at £195.00 I thought I'd give it a miss!! Shame the one I had broke. I think I will take your advice on the SCSI although first I'll try and get the cd drive working - if I can't I might as well just buy a new interface card which will support both.

cheers for the advice

Pete

Old 08 August 2007, 10:54   #4
Jope
-

The HDD controller depicted is an A2090A (autoboot version), you can tell by the three boot roms.

I suggest you get a new IDE controller or a used SCSI controller for the machine, the A2090(A) is not worth the trouble it will cause you.

I don't mean to dishearten you, but this controller is just too old and flawed. For a seasoned user it might be a bit of fun to configure it and see it working, then chuck it back into the pile of old cards, but I can't really recommend it to anyone for prolonged use.

The "AGA card" does not give you AGA, but is merely an ECS scandoubler, allowing you to use VGA monitors with the Amiga. It might have a 9 pin connector, thus you need a 9pin -> 15pin VGA cable to use it with a modern monitor.

The monitor must be able to sync down to 50Hz vertical. There are many new monitors (and especially TFT's) that can't sync down.
Old 08 August 2007, 17:13   #5
OddbOd

The RAM expansion is a 2MB Micron Amiga Memory board (more photos) and is a licensed design originally developed by ASDG Inc. If you look at the front edge of the board you will see the manufacturers name etched onto the PCB.

Identifying the mysterious red cable (is that a fuse holder?) would be easier if you could snap a better picture so that the connection points are visible.