English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 March 2020, 18:24   #101
Chucky

Well luckly I am not involved in th amigacrimescene site.....
Old 13 March 2020, 08:00   #102
Overflow

Well, I know I have had varied expiriences with Amigakit, inline with what Matthew posted in the a.org post regarding his "limited manpower" perspective.

Sometimes I get my order within a week and sometimes 2-4 weeks. When I ordered around the time the Amiga meet in Sacramento, I obviously had to wait for quite a long time to get my shipment. Once I realised that, I accepted it, since its a small community and the timeframe is accordingly. (again, i have never ordered with split orders).

With regards to email communication; I agree that AEON and Amigakit is poor at this aspect, but whenever I needed a quick response for anything, I just private messaged Matthew via a.org and he usually responded the same day.

So thru the years Ive been using them, I have quite good impression.

AND for the record, I have used several other resellers aswell, and they have also served me well.
Old 13 March 2020, 11:00   #103
Cool_amigaN

For many years Amigakit played the role of a savior for anyone seeking professional Amiga shop experience post 00s. Idk how many people remember the days when Eytech went out of picture. Vessalia was going out f stock too, while apc-tcp had always a limited variety. It were really dark ages for the Amiga. AmigaKit took over not only Eyetch's stock/classic business operation and sold them till it went of stock and disappeared but did sold NOS (!) A1200, offered professional Amiga service (re-caps or whatever else was needed), invested to in-house development and plug n play solutions and listed new accel. boards from other companies or individuals. Many of these business moves I am sure that they required a substantial upfront cash.

All went well, till those other (and newer) companies/individuals decided to direct market their products/services. Competition went stiff. We are not in 2005 anymore and tbh I do consider a lame move to register amigapassion.com and amigastore.com domains. The same with rebranding A1200.net cases, unless they were delivered under OEM, which means that are bound to a contract. For casual goods' delivery / sale you need mainly a PO and an Invoice. Product description on the Invoice is sufficient in case anyone would think of altering product's brand. Do you think that a mini market would ever think of slapping a sticker on top "Lays", "Pepsi" or "Coca Cola" packaging and get away because it wasn't explicitly prohibited on an Invoice?

Other than the above though, did A1200.net actually took a taste of his own medicine? 'cause I never really understood how he could launch the cases as "official" (even 4 yrs ago, as WayBack reviles) and use the original fonts on his keycaps.
All I see is that he is inline with Cloanto according to his current site ("Amiga is registered trademark of C-A Acquisition"). Did he stated it recently? Plus he was casualy and openly rejecting these Amiga Registered Trademarks Wars (TM :P) as unnecessary on Amiga34 when he spoke in front of Mike. Did anything happened to think otherwise?
Old 13 March 2020, 13:31   #104
Etze
A3000-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Having thought about it some more, I do feel I (and maybe others but I can't speak for them) have overreacted a bit. Yes, I don't like this move one bit and yes I do feel trademarking A600/A1200 is a rather unfriendly move towards the community.

But on the other hand, it's not really on the level I made it out to be. Calling for a boycott seems a bit too much for me. So please consider my earlier statements about never wanting to buy anything from them ever again retracted.

Sounds like they contacted you and made you an offer you couldn't refuse...
Old 13 March 2020, 14:29   #105
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I can't speak to everything that has been going on here, but I ordered some bits and pieces off Amigakit for the first time last week and they arrived this week. It was a smooth process.
Old 13 March 2020, 14:50   #106
Chucky

this IS small companies so you cannot always demand swift delivery.. even if it is a annoying thing to say you have stuff in stock when you haven't.

but this is not really about that.. this is how they market themselves etc that sometimes go boyond the border of what shoud be classed as ok (even if it might be legal)
Old 13 March 2020, 15:15   #107
kriz

AmigaKit truly acts as a bully, please support other Amiga shops now !!

Last edited by kriz; 13 March 2020 at 22:55.
Old 13 March 2020, 16:05   #108
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
Sounds like they contacted you and made you an offer you couldn't refuse...
Not at all, I merely felt I had reacted too strongly after reading some of the other posts in this thread and elsewhere.

I still don't agree with what they're doing mind you. Just not to "boycott for life, they're EVIL" levels.
Old 13 March 2020, 19:16   #109
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrdesign View Post
Their behaviour is far from being an adult, more like bullying.

They must know we do not support that behaviour, that's the reason for this post to exist. If they ignore/do not engage this post is not my problem.

I WAS a happy AmigaKit customer until this happened. I'm really fed up with people stealing the work/courage from individuals, very common in the Amiga Community.

Threads like this HELP the living for the amiga. In the end, we need to protect individual developers who are creating new hardware, not stores nor companies who only sells them (sometimes without permission, this is the case).

Shame on them.
I agree with you, it's almost as if Amigakit were attempting to monopolise the market by buying up stock, Amiga related domain names et al. Kind of reminds me of the old days with Amiga Inc. Not good, not cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI
What sort of company would engage with such a toxic thread? Answer - none.
If it were my company I'd be engaging at every level to respond and put right what's wrong tbh - that includes refunds, posts etc
By doing nothing, you risk your customer base and reputation.

Last edited by Paul_s; 13 March 2020 at 19:22.
Old 13 March 2020, 22:56   #110
kriz

Strange that they read this thread, but never responds ...
Old 14 March 2020, 13:58   #111
Gordon
Settler

“It’s business, nothing personal”

This is Probably AmigaKits reasoning. Which is what most businesses are about. They maybe trying to get one over on a competitor but when it comes to the customer they have always been good and fair and always try to bring us the best products and the best price. Let’s not forget this.
Old 14 March 2020, 17:58   #112
jotd
This cat is no more

After posting about my 70 euro went AWOL first amigakit refunded me the missing parts, then I just receive the rest by the mail.

I suppose that when the part went missing, the order went under the pile, then no e-mail was able to resurrect them: they're not organized enough to follow such orders.

Same thing happened with retro T-shirts a few years ago (not amigakit!). They sent the one they had in stock, and kept the money for the other ones. We never got the missing items . i was lazy enough not to ask a refund... I suppose shops aren't organized enough to handle such cases (unless you're amazon)

My opinion is: Amigakit are honest, but disorganized chaps. Maybe drop them a line to see if the item is available before ordering.
Old 14 March 2020, 20:11   #113
mrprawns

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Having thought about it some more, I do feel I (and maybe others but I can't speak for them) have overreacted a bit. Yes, I don't like this move one bit and yes I do feel trademarking A600/A1200 is a rather unfriendly move towards the community.

But on the other hand, it's not really on the level I made it out to be. Calling for a boycott seems a bit too much for me. So please consider my earlier statements about never wanting to buy anything from them ever again retracted.
I think really people are free to make their own decision on it, and it's not black and white.

ie maybe Amigakit is the only place that has the item you need so despite not wanting to, you buy from there anyway. Maybe other people weigh it up and choose not to go with AmigaKit if someone else has the item available.

It's an individual decision yes but I do think threads like this are important because this is something the community should be aware of.

I don't really want to support someone using such shady methods. Not only is it underhand, it is also an attempt to mislead customers who think they're getting one product (a recap by a highly recommended recapper) but are in fact getting something else entirely.

I notice http://amigapassion.com/ still hasn't been handed to Steve, I'll be shopping elsewhere until this is returned.

And if I find out this wasn't handed back at cost, and AmigaKit tried to make a profit out of taking this domain then I'll continue to shop elsewhere.
Old 15 March 2020, 19:24   #114
adrdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprawns View Post
I notice http://amigapassion.com/ still hasn't been handed to Steve, I'll be shopping elsewhere until this is returned.
Still haven't returned the domain. Let's up this.
Old 15 March 2020, 20:26   #115
kriz

With it (amigapassion.com) parked like this with a simple white page it seems it is not working and people will move on to other sites .. Not nice ..
Old 21 March 2020, 14:44   #116
walkero

In my opinion, trying to turn other people away from any amiga shop and make them follow the shops you prefer is a major issue of this community. I am pretty happy to buy things from AmigaKit as well from other Amiga shops. We are not childs to wait others to tell us where to buy and what. If I find an item I like at a shop at a better price, and I trust them, I will buy from that shop, no matter how it is called.

As for the domains, in my opinion there are, how many, 10-15 Amiga shops? Did anyone told you about bookmarks? If I visit an online eshop that is about my interests, I bookmark it. That way I don't care how many similar domains will be registered, redirecting to any website, I still have the original one and I can always use it. In my opinion, if I open a business I have to register all the major domains. It's my responsibility.
Old 23 March 2020, 01:55   #117
Kyle_Human
Banned

Nobody is stopping you from eating at McDiarrhea fast food place with the 1 star rating. If you want to do that, go ahead.

But don't come back here and say how surprised you were to shit your lungs and soul out.
Old 23 March 2020, 15:08   #118
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Human View Post
Nobody is stopping you from eating at McDiarrhea fast food place with the 1 star rating.
Dude, didn't you hear? They're all shut down. I seriously recommend you turn on a TV like, now, and watch the news.
Old 23 March 2020, 19:27   #119
Kyle_Human
Banned

Another fine post from toilet.
Old 23 March 2020, 19:36   #120
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
The two above posters: Rather than making rather pointless posts which could obviously be worded in a nicer way, keep yourself busy with some interesting stuff. For example, some games from this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=101326