English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 July 2022, 19:04   #1
Flimbo

AMIGA CD32 - Restoration

Managed to pick up my dream console, the Amiga CD32 at a retro gaming convention fairly cheap by Amiga standards. Was sold as untested and without any leads. Would appreciate any advice on what common things I should test or repair first.

Details:

- Powers on using an original power supply - strong constant led light.
- RF and RCA composite both send a signal to the TV but it is dark grey/black with no animated boot screen and no sound (I havent tested headphone jack). I don't own a TV that has an S-Video port.
- The RF-Shield top plate is missing (god knows why), which I have read could be problematic. Where can I buy one?
- The optical drive ribbon retainer clip is also missing (again why??) - I have managed to order one from Amigastore.eu but may need to buy a new optical drive.
- The capacitors arent bulging or show any sign of leakage - I have ordered a set but not sure I am competent enough to do this.
Old 27 July 2022, 22:37   #2
Leon Besson
Banned

Might be worth watching this Bromigo!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 July 2022, 09:30   #3
str0m

Untested to my normally reads as tested but didn't work as expected....

If you put in an audio CD does the drive light flash? I don't think they auto play but it would at least show if it is accessing it. Does the disc even spin up? If it doesn't then it could be the drive or something worse. A dead drive wouldn't stop it posting to the logo
Old 28 July 2022, 09:32   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
Me too. Untested on any advert means tested and is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimbo View Post
- The RF-Shield top plate is missing (god knows why)
- The optical drive ribbon retainer clip is also missing
A sure fire sign that this console has been disassembled at some point to try to work out why it was broken.

Quote:
Would appreciate any advice on what common things I should test or repair first.
A good visual inspection, look for any burn marks, broken traces, look at the top and the bottom of the PCB. (Taking the relevant precautions not to make anything worse).

Perhaps get someone to make you a DIAGROM (is there one for CD32?) This is a replacement ROM which can in some circumstances give diagnostic information that might have resulted in a black screen with regular Kickstart.

Consider getting a quote to diagnose, repair, recap from https://www.retropassion.co.uk/

Last edited by alexh; 28 July 2022 at 09:40.
Old 28 July 2022, 19:39   #5
Leon Besson
Banned

Bromigo! Worth getting more than one quote;

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88046

PM me I can also give you another contact to try as well
Old 29 July 2022, 01:06   #6
Flimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
Might be worth watching this Bromigo!
[ Show youtube player ]
This video is brilliant. However, the repair looks beyond my current skill level though I truly want to develop these skills moving forward. Resources like this are so educational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
If you put in an audio CD does the drive light flash? I don't think they auto play but it would at least show if it is accessing it. Does the disc even spin up? If it doesn't then it could be the drive or something worse. A dead drive wouldn't stop it posting to the logo
I definitely rolled the dice when I bought it. I actually picked it up at the NERG weekend from the fella that runs the retro games shop in the Grainger Market for £100. The drive light did not light up but I am hoping that this will be resolved by a recap or the optical drive being replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Consider getting a quote to diagnose, repair, recap from https://www.retropassion.co.uk/
I contacted a few people on this board and in my local retro page and unfortunately, they were all busy for the next couple of months. After a few emails back and forth I ended up sending it to Retropassion UK. I was impressed with his communication and the range of services he provided. He also had an RF shield top plate and his Riser was the cheapest I have seen. This fix could end up being expensive if he has to do a diagnosis, let’s pray to the Amiga gods that the recap does the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
Bromigo! Worth getting more than one quote;
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88046
PM me I can also give you another contact to try as well
I will definitely take you up on that offer, Bromigo!
Old 29 July 2022, 11:22   #7
str0m

Ah yes I saw it there. Probably a fair price gamble/risk wise, most need a recap anyway even if you had bought one off Ebay for £250 or so needing one. Think that's where I had one done before, took quite a while but got it back in the end. A TF328 or 330 are a good upgrade so you can just run off SD/CF
Old 29 July 2022, 14:10   #8
Flimbo

Hoping that this ends up being a bargain and will use that money to buy games or a TF accelerator. I have a 1200 so torn on which to upgrade.
Old 29 July 2022, 17:28   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Hoping that this ends up being a bargain and will use that money to buy games or a TF accelerator. I have a 1200 so torn on which to upgrade.
An upgraded CD32 is nice, it's compact size means it can go under the telly. But you still need a keyboard and unless you spend money on Amiga->USB->Bluetooth adapters etc. it never really gets living room friendly.

The TF360 is almost finished from what I read. So 060@100MHz power in a CD32 is possible (or will be).
Old 29 July 2022, 18:06   #10
Flimbo

I only have 8mb fast ram in my 1200, so it might make more sense to upgrade that rather than the CD32. It runs whdload but it is pretty sluggish. I had some bad experiences trying to buy old the old 30 sticks a few years ago and the vampire cards were too expensive. However, since then there appears to be a whole range of options on the market. Would love to run some of the more demanding games and wouldnt mind using one of the more recent versions of AmigaOS. Would the 060 be overkill? Would the pistorm be moving too far away from the original hardware? Tough choices but either way I am sure I will manage to make the wrong one. Guess I need to see if the CD32 can be repaired first.
Old 30 July 2022, 00:38   #11
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
I only have 8mb fast ram in my 1200, so it might make more sense to upgrade that rather than the CD32. It runs whdload but it is pretty sluggish. I had some bad experiences trying to buy old the old 30 sticks a few years ago and the vampire cards were too expensive. However, since then there appears to be a whole range of options on the market. Would love to run some of the more demanding games and wouldnt mind using one of the more recent versions of AmigaOS. Would the 060 be overkill? Would the pistorm be moving too far away from the original hardware? Tough choices but either way I am sure I will manage to make the wrong one. Guess I need to see if the CD32 can be repaired first.
I would go 1230 (68030 CPU) as a good in between option if it’s only gaming you are interested in.

Choices are;

Classic Accelerators such as Phase 5 1230 MKIV, Apollo 1230 mk2/3 or Individual computers 123x series.

Newer accelerators such as; TF1230 or Tsunami 1230 etc..
Old 01 August 2022, 18:20   #12
Flimbo

Yeah think I will just get the Riser for this console and use it as a vanilla console and look to improve my 1200 for now.