Please can someone tell me where to get a kikstart rom

Old 20 October 2001, 22:44   #2
The Help Needy

Whats that got to do with anything

Pathfinder crap, its got nothing to do with what i am asking, please help

Old 20 October 2001, 23:17   #3
RCK
Administrator

Why didn't you read the Annoucements before posting a such classic question ?...
Old 20 October 2001, 23:47   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

You have a point S4murai, but they are in the forums you'd expect them to be in IMO.

For instance the the one RCK linked to is in the emulator section, where this thread should have been started

But I agree with you they need to be easier to find for EAB newcomers, maybe a drop-down list would do the trick on the main page like we have for the list of the moderators.

Or maybe just add a few links to the main FAQ pointing to all the annoucments.

This will be a futile effort though IMO because I don't think many people would read them anyway, they'd sooner just ask the question.
Old 20 October 2001, 23:55   #5
RetroMan

Hehe, let´s make it BIG RED letters : RTFA - read the f**king announcement instead of RTFM
Old 21 October 2001, 00:06   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

Maybe we could trick them, instead of F.A.Q, why not Click Here For Romz

In future please read the F.A.Q's Help Needy, but you find what you need at one of the sites listed HERE

Last edited by Ian; 21 October 2001 at 00:16.
Old 21 October 2001, 00:38   #7
RCK
Administrator

You are all right, I will do it asap
Old 21 October 2001, 02:41   #8
Amigaboy

You should make everyone who signs up read the FAQ, then right after, just to make sure that they read it, you have a quiz saying stuff like :

Where can a kickstart ROM be found?
a) In an Amiga
b) Blah Blah

Where can you find Amiga games?
a) On an Amiga
b) afjfksd

Then they'll get freaked out cause they're being tested, and studying for the test means they have to read the FAQ

Old 21 October 2001, 13:43   #9
masieto

i bought mine from amiga forever at http://cloanto.com/amiga/forever/ , its only $30...

Old 21 October 2001, 13:45   #10
masieto

you guys are tough on newbies in here!! :hooooo

Old 21 October 2001, 13:55   #11
Amigaboy

The reason we're so tough is because alot of people sign up just to leech without joining in any discussions on the board (which is the whole point)

Old 21 October 2001, 14:11   #12
masieto

yeh but if your so tough to the new guys you will scare them off... i would think the amiga scene needs as much backing as it can get... just a thought!

Old 21 October 2001, 14:21   #13
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Building A Better EAB

I was thinking - do we really need these restrictions on The Zone?

At the moment, if someone wants to download stuff from the Zone and doesn't want to join discussions, then they will create an account and post some simple messages until they have access. This means that a load of dummy accounts and useless messages are created.

If someone wants to download files without being a member, then I say let them! Mostly we don't own the files ourselves and have no more right to them than anyone else.

I just don't want to create some sort of 'elite' feeling to the board. It should be free to all.

What about creating a 'New To Emulation/Amiga' section of the board? There would be a special FAQ for new people here and when reading new messages it would be easy to skip these postings, safe in the knowledge that they would be the beginner's ones. I don't mind looking after that section.

The reason I mention this section for new people is we need to have a balance between avoiding spending all our time answering questions about kickstart ROMs and actually helping people who are confused. I know that many simple questions can be answered with Google or by reading the FAQs, but this often doesn't happen. Again, if we are rude to beginners, then it will create a board atmosphere which drives people away.

We should also try and steer away from some of the confrontations of recent times and try to create a friendlier board. As more and more people join, there is more chance for misunderstanding and conflict.

Perhaps it would be better to keep the number of nonsense postings down in the first place, instead of deleting them later. Some people don't have a lot of time to read loads of messages and holidays are a nightmare, because on return there are too many messages to read it all properly.

And as for Marz - give him a break guys...
Old 21 October 2001, 14:35   #14
Amigaboy

Quote:
That's what I've been saying (not in so many words, but the implication was always there)

Old 21 October 2001, 15:03   #15
Ian
Global Moderator

Re: Building A Better EAB

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
Perhaps it would be better to keep the number of nonsense postings down in the first place, instead of deleting them later. Some people don't have a lot of time to read loads of messages and holidays are a nightmare, because on return there are too many messages to read it all properly.
Extra Extra, Board must stop when CodyJarrett goes on holiday

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
After what happened ealier in the week I already decided to do that, but know you've told me to I've changed my mind