English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 18 January 2017, 00:59   #1
Zak
Zapīem

Mail issues

E-Bay was hacked some time ago and since some time, I get awful spam, phishing and virus mails.

Can I just kill the old E-Mail account, and change everything to a new one, or will the criminals re-open my old account and treat my friends with it? I am not sure, I think they even had my password at some time(changed it in the meantime), would that be enough for a re-opening?

Also what would be the best concept for the future:
Have several accounts, like one only for communication with friends, one for shopping (E-Bay, etc.), one to use with web pages like eab?
Or is it like: more accounts, more problems?

Itīs some heavy work changing the E-Mail account, there is so much linked to it and when E-Bay will be hacked agian, maybe itīs better to have it point to a seperate account, so I donīt need to change so much.

What would you recommend?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 January 2017, 03:49   #2
jmmijo

I don't think there is an easy answer to this, going to be some work to get things changed over to a new email account etc.

Does you ISP not have any kind of automated anti-spam filtering ?

Maybe use something like Thunderbird which has some nice JUNK email tools built-in ?

Having multiple email accounts just means you have more things to manage so yes in a way it can make for even more problems down the road.

I wish you luck in getting this all worked out
Old 15 March 2017, 13:19   #3
DannyBoy

I see this topic has aged few months, but for future sake, could you just use single email account with mail aliases used solely for registrations? One alias per site. This way you would just have to change the alias in your account (and in fixed site) if needed, and wave goodbye to spam.

Last edited by DannyBoy; 15 March 2017 at 13:26. Reason: Typo
Old 16 March 2017, 01:34   #4
Zak
Zapīem

That sounds interesting, I didnīt know that with the aliases. So I just delete the alias and donīt get the mails meant for it anymore? I think Iīll try that. Thanks DannyBoy. Itīs just, how do I know which alias an E-Mail was send to? I donīt always know which site was hacked.

Last edited by Zak; 16 March 2017 at 06:54.
Old 16 March 2017, 07:14   #5
DannyBoy

Heya, Zak

That's right. Alias that email was sent to should read in To field of the email header. Usually aliases like this are limited to only few unless you have premium account, but there's another way.

Let's pretend that you use gmail and your address is zak[at]gmail.com. Now login to gmail and send an email to zak+test[at]gmail.com and the mail should land to your inbox. You can use this form of address when registering to different services in the net. So for example you could register to Ebay with +ebay suffix and mails from Ebay would be sent to that address but would still find their way to your actual mailbox.

What's cool about these is that you can apply filter rules to them. Like, save all mails with +ebay suffix to folder Ebay and so on. If you needed to block the address because of spam, you would go to filter settings and deny emails where recipient is zak+ebay[at]gmail.com.

Hope this helps
AdSense AdSense