English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 02 June 2002, 13:16   #1
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
Floppy disk Complete games that came with Cover Disks

I´m looking for some complete games that come with some amiga magazines as a CoverDisk, like Archipelagos (Amiga Format 25 -> this game its copy protect), and other games.
I´m looking for the games like they appeared on those coverdisks with their copyprotection (i lost almost all of them - only cannonsoccer survive - and its a special edition of Cannon Fodder).

There´s somebody who still have it ???
Old 02 June 2002, 15:39   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Floppy disk Puffy's Saga on The One Issue 34 June 1991

I have written an imager which will take Puffy's Saga from The One coverdisk on issue 34 and build an extended ADF which can then be put on Amiga coverdisks sites and TOSEC.

An extended ADF is required as the game has a non-standard track layout. There are also a few Kick Off 2 golden goals on the disk.

The imager is in the zone and I would image my own disk for the TOSEC boys *but* I'm sure the high score table has been modified on my disk version hence the image is not 100% clean. The imager rips the data and checks it's integrity so it is not physically possible to have a bad dump

It's actually quite easy to modify existing RawDIC imagers to rip the data so long as the games do not have speed check copy protection.

Oh yes, the imager requires RawDIC from the WHDLoad package and WB2 or better. If anyone here owns an unmodified version of this coverdisk and can image it, please do so and upload the resulting clean image for the Amiga community!

If anyone has other disks (eg Cannon Soccer) they want me to see if they can be ADF'd contact me! You may be required to provide MFMWarps of the game.

Carlos: Check out AceRoms for lots of Amiga coverdisks, at least 10 of them have full games (Zero, The One, Amiga Power, CU Amiga etc).
Old 04 June 2002, 09:42   #3
Tim Janssen

Cool Copyrighted games

Multiformat magazine ZERO stabbed fullprice games on their coverdisks. Hardball 1 (no protection) appeared in issue 12, november 1990. Rampage was featured in December 1990.
The full version of Titus’ Quik the Thunder Rabbit appeared on coverdisk of a magazine in 1996. I really wish I had bought that mag as this game was (and nowadays still is!) very difficult to find. Does anyone know on which coverdisk of which magazine it appeared?

The ‘sticking a full-price game to a mag’- principle caused quite a stir in 1992. CU Amiga offended a British copyright-law because they had Shaun Southern’s POD on coverdisc. Since then no fullprice game was featured on coverdisc of any British magazine.
Old 04 June 2002, 23:11   #4
Riempie
Amiga freak

Puffy's Saga extended adf-image is in the zone. Thanks Codetapper for the imager!

Btw Tim, I have the mag with Quik The Thunder Rabbit on it and I can't make adf-images of them, they seem to be protected
Actually, you need 2 mags for the whole game, because the 2nd and 3rd disk of the game were on the mag a month later.
Old 10 June 2002, 12:05   #5
Tim Janssen

Question Which magazine?

From a marketing point-of-view it sure is very clever to distribute a game with several issues. Pity you will have to wait several weeks to actually play the whole game.
Do you which magazine put Quik the Thunderrabit on coverdisks?
Old 10 June 2002, 12:38   #6
Riempie
Amiga freak

Here:

http://amigacoverdisks.emuunlim.com/AA7395.shtml
http://amigacoverdisks.emuunlim.com/AA7495.shtml

Hmm... I see my brother did upload the disks of the game, strange. I wonder if they work. Click on the images to download the disks.
Old 10 June 2002, 17:08   #7
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

Going slightly off-topic,but still relating to coverdisks all the same..
Does anyone know if that coverdisk demo of Putty Squad works in the latest WinUAE yet? Until a full version,(If? Someone give John Twiddy a long-paid holiday to unearth his old sourcefiles! )
emerges this'll be the closest we'll ever get to playing it in ADF format!
Old 10 June 2002, 17:51   #8
Riempie
Amiga freak

Hmmm.... I think I never got the adf of the Putty Squad demo working with any version of WinUAE. But I do remember I got the WHDload-version of this demo working on a version of WinUAE. But I can't remember which version I haven't tried it with the newest version yet.

btw, John Twiddy promised me he would dig up the source files of the game once he got the time. Seems like he doesn't have time, because it's been some months since he promised me that. But I still have some hopes left he will dig them up eventually.