English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 September 2006, 18:47   #1
Heavyweight7t6

Send a message via Yahoo to Heavyweight7t6
Buddah!

Is it suppose to take and hour and half to format 2gig on a A1200 with a Buddha IDE controller?..
Old 06 September 2006, 19:27   #2
Psycreator[mds]
Amiga Musician

Send a message via ICQ to Psycreator[mds] Send a message via AIM to Psycreator[mds]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyweight7t6
Is it suppose to take and hour and half to format 2gig on a A1200 with a Buddha IDE controller?..
I allso got a Buddha IDE Controller, and it is not the fastest controller out there, this is true. Normaly you have a speed of 2.2mb to 2.6mb sec depending on the CPU you got running, an A1200 with 030 is faster than an A4000 with 060, course the 060 is slower in accessing the Zorro2 Bus. But if your Buddha with that HD runs under 2mb/sec something must be wrong... perhabs the Timing of the driver... timing 6 or 7 is the best here for me or I would get read errors etc, go into your WBStartup dir and check the tooltypes of the Buddha Driver. Buffers can allso be a little bit higher then the standard 80 of OS3.9's HDToolbox, but not much course the Buddha is not so fast to get a big difference at all
Allso Formating slow is not necesarry, put a cool Filesystem on it with blocksize 2048 for your partition.. better SFS as Filesystem, format it quick and all is fine ) never low formating, this way you can crash HD's very quick, I did it once )
Yo and have fun at the end, the Buddha is slow but neat with it's many IDE Ports :O)
Old 06 September 2006, 20:08   #3
Jope
-

No point in full formatting hard drives! Always use quick.

Even more so if you're going over the 4GB mark.