English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 February 2004, 21:23   #21
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Why not offer only MOD versions and let the lame people make their own huge audio files for their "elite" ears' delectation?
We have a winnar!
Old 22 February 2004, 23:59   #22
Pyromania

TheBoss I would be glad to give you free webhosting on the DiscreetFX website.
Old 23 February 2004, 00:18   #23
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania
TheBoss I would be glad to give you free webhosting on the DiscreetFX website.
Woah really! I'm very glad you can see our vision for this project Pyro and want to support it as I really just need a good host to set everything in motion! Our team is 100% motivated and eager to launch the site as fast as possible Do you requre a banner (top or under) for hosting us on your DiscreetFX? We can use FTP to upload, right?

Do you have ICQ or MSN? Its easier if we can talk more direct in this matter
Old 23 February 2004, 02:13   #24
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBoss
Woah really! I'm very glad you can see our vision for this project Pyro and want to support it as I really just need a good host to set everything in motion! Our team is 100% motivated and eager to launch the site as fast as possible Do you requre a banner (top or under) for hosting us on your DiscreetFX? We can use FTP to upload, right?

Do you have ICQ or MSN? Its easier if we can talk more direct in this matter
The only thing I require is a joint Press Release on the Amiga sites telling everyone about the site and a small hosted by DiscreetFX banner on the site. You can design this if you want so that it does not interrupt the flow or theme of the site. Do you have a AIM id?

Last edited by Pyromania; 23 February 2004 at 02:23.
Old 23 February 2004, 05:33   #25
Amiga1992

What does DiscreetFX has to do with the content of the site, or viceversa? The offer is nice but I think both sides have to consider this really. Does the DiscreetFX need a site hosting potentially "dangerous" content? I mean I don't give a shit about all that copyright bullshit with old amiga soundtracks, but Pyro is, afaik, running a business there. And likewise, I don't think Pyro's business has nothing to do with TheBoss's project.

I think it would be better to get hosting in a gaming related network. Worst case scenario, they get the shit for the material, and not an individual like Pyro who;s trying to run a small company absed on the good old Amiga.

You still can get that link banner in his site if you want to, Pyro.
Old 23 February 2004, 11:42   #26
TheBoss

It has always been my nr 1 aim to get hosted on a network that is Amiga related and DiscreetFX is afterall amiga related. Next best thing is of course a gaming related network but so fare none of those has accepted us yet, and its not like there are many of them that’s free unlimited to choose among which is a must for our plans.

I would think Pyro remembers the 2 old Amiga music sites I mention on the website, thus knows exactly what we are aiming to become and not to mention we already have a layout to show him. I’m sure by attracting lots of visitors, mostly from the Amiga community, DiscreetFX will get an increased exposure to their name which can only be positive.

As for the legal concern. I would be more worried that a site like Jambo gets in trouble for linking none legal Amiga sites or for that matter, sites like Amiga L33tz or Amiga Island for having commercial software online then a site offering soundtracks from games rather then full games like most Amiga sites as chosen to do so.

Last edited by TheBoss; 23 February 2004 at 16:33.
Old 23 February 2004, 11:58   #27
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

As I said in IRC though, there is no way in hell that you can become remotely big though using static HTML, it just isn't going to happen. I am basically trying to stop you walking into a deathtrap here. Just ask anyone who runs a site that contains lots of info, take HOL for instance. Ask RCK if he would do that in static HTML. He would probably explode.
Old 23 February 2004, 12:18   #28
TheBoss

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
As I said in IRC though, there is no way in hell that you can become remotely big though using static HTML, it just isn't going to happen. I am basically trying to stop you walking into a deathtrap here. Just ask anyone who runs a site that contains lots of info, take HOL for instance. Ask RCK if he would do that in static HTML. He would probably explode.
Please... I have made websites, big and small and Im afterall a student in webdesign I already explained you the details like using library items and direct on the fly editing on ftp so i dont know why you still mention it as that was all I had to say on irc and it has always worked fine.
Old 23 February 2004, 12:28   #29
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Please... I have made websites, big and small and Im afterall a student in webdesign I already explained you the details like using library items and direct on the fly editing on ftp so i dont know why you still mention it as that was all I had to say on irc and it has always worked fine.
Dreamweaver can only do so much through library editing, it is still only a hack way to try and make static pages more dynamic. It also means that people wont be able to sort though things, search, or look up new entries or anything else of the sort. It also means you are locked into using dreamweaver and need FTP access.
Old 23 February 2004, 12:34   #30
TheBoss

Exactly what I had in mine im glad we undertand eachothers I know a php database programmer and he has done tonz of databases at his work so I plan on him to help me later when I want to add a database but first thing first, website up and lotza happy happy joy joy amiga users
Old 23 February 2004, 12:43   #31
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Exactly what I had in mine im glad we undertand eachothers I know a php database programmer and he has done tonz of databases at his work so I plan on him to help me later when I want to add a database but first thing first, website up and lotza happy happy joy joy amiga users
Thats ok then. I just had a horrible feeling you were intending on doing it all via static, and it really is hell of alot more work as you are just constantly repeating yourself all the time. When the pages are set up to grab database info, you just let the users to what they want with the info so it isn't a problem as the info isn't just stuck in particular pages. It is also HELL of a lot easier to maintain as all of the pages update themselves whenever you say, add a game, or change something else. I'm just basically warning you to save you lots of time.
Old 23 February 2004, 16:28   #32
Amiga1992

Whatever you feel with DiscreetFX is OK, I'm just pointing out what I think. As I said the legal problem is not my concern, I don't give a fuck, but it is common to see sites that use a boingball go down and sites that hold ***** stay. also keep in mind discreetfx is getting quite a flow of traffic because of the toaster craze.

I think a database system is what has to come first, though. I have designed websites for years and a site like this becomes shite after some time. I know I did Shmups all by HTML and it got so tedious that I stopped development on it.
Old 25 February 2004, 20:16   #33
TheBoss

Around week ago I got an offer I couldn't refuse. I'm not even allowed to say anything else before we launch our site in around 3 weeks from now

PYRO: I like to say that I’m honoured you would offer to host us on DiscreetFX. It's great to see a guy like you wanting to support a new amiga project in the scene I however wont be requiring your services afterall. I would like to ask permission to add you to our websites affiliates section to show we like to support you and your projects
Old 26 February 2004, 11:47   #34
Pyromania

Quote:
Around week ago I got an offer I couldn't refuse. I'm not even allowed to say anything else before we launch our site in around 3 weeks from now

PYRO: I like to say that I’m honoured you would offer to host us on DiscreetFX. It's great to see a guy like you wanting to support a new amiga project in the scene I however wont be requiring your services afterall. I would like to ask permission to add you to our websites affiliates section to show we like to support you and your projects
I was out of town for a few days but now I am back. Thanks for the kind words TheBoss. Yes please ad DiscreetFX to the affiliates section.
Old 26 February 2004, 11:50   #35
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
also keep in mind discreetfx is getting quite a flow of traffic because of the toaster craze.
Over 47GB of downloads served so far from the Amiga Video Toaster Flyer source-code. Amiga coders do love to download their sources

He is a message I got from my hosting company today.

"You are currently at 862.74 percent of your Transfer quota. Please
take the neccessary actions to prevent any complications that reaching
your quota may cause."

Last edited by Pyromania; 26 February 2004 at 12:03.
Old 01 March 2004, 21:31   #36
TheBoss

How on earth are you going to prevent reaching your quota again pyro :hoo

Last edited by TheBoss; 16 March 2004 at 21:10.
Old 16 March 2004, 21:17   #37
TheBoss

I rearranged the reviews in 2 catagories so there is now both a Game and Music review, plus I added a Related Games section on the recommendation of users like NickNOON which is our new moderator on the forums

I was thinking of adding a index of each CDTV/CD32 album featured online but so fare it's hard to name each song since they arn't named themself's from the CD's. If there is anyone who knows a site that mentioned each level in a game, gimme link as this will be usefull
Old 16 March 2004, 21:25   #38
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I just noticed the you have the subheading "Your source for legal Amiga music". Do you actually have permission from each of the authors of each game to distribute their music then?
Old 16 March 2004, 23:13   #39
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
I just noticed the you have the subheading "Your source for legal Amiga music". Do you actually have permission from each of the authors of each game to distribute their music then?
Apparently not:

Game Title: Aaargh!
Music Artist: Unknown
Old 16 March 2004, 23:36   #40
TheBoss

Quote:
I wish I could explain but you'll have to wait for the official launch of the site before I can let such details out.