English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 19 March 2010, 19:53   #21
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Thanks for the encourangement you guys, but all the hard work was done by Rebel, I just use his palette and graphics along with these essential three utilities, which you have to download and install before you can use these themes:
Where are the themes? I only want the palette.
Old 20 March 2010, 01:05   #22
Cammy

To be honest I still haven't been able to try ClassicWB. After trying to mount the HDF with two different versions of diskimage.device on my A1200 unsuccessfully, and failing to get through the nightmare of eUAE on Linux, I just got depressed and gave up. My next idea was to try it through jUAE in Aros, but I haven't got around to it yet.
Old 20 March 2010, 03:11   #23
ami_junkie

If you want to try out Classic WB, I can send you a System.zip file which you can just copy over to your HD and then unpack it with the Installer provided on ADF with ClassicWB pack. Classic WB is really nice, it reminds me a lot of how my Amiga used to be back in the day when I knew how to set-up my Amiga

Old 20 March 2010, 04:26   #24
Cammy

Thanks Ami Junkie, that would be a great help. I really wished that the system.zip file was just there to download on the site rather than being packed inside a HDF that I can't mount, because really hate bothering someone else to help me with anything. I'd really like the ClassicWB ADVSP and 68K packs. Is there anything I can do for you in return? Please don't worry if it's too much work.
Old 20 March 2010, 12:09   #25
Bloodwych

Hi Cammy, I offered to provide you with a solution a while back but you didn't get back to me. If Ami Junkie can help however, it would be great as my upload speed is crap.

Muzar kindly posted this guide, but I just can't believe it's that complicated to run E-UAE/UAE with HDF's under Linux:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=49562

I mean, Linux can be complicated at times but that is ridiculous. Surely someone here knows how to use E-UAE/UAE with HDF's and can put together a pack for people to simply download, add ROMS and run from a directory like you do with WinUAE?

I can also place System.zip files on the EAB file server I suppose, zip files that require installation like the HDF's (for copyright files) and are ready to be copied straight over to an Amiga. This would be done on an as need basis or when I have time.

There are many reasons why I don't include them on the main site. Without running through the installation before creating the zip, they will be huge as they contain extras (like iGame artwork) that get resolved on installation.

Also, a real Amiga will take a much longer time running through the installation process, and you may be copying and installing things you don't require. ROMS for WHDLoad will also be missing. Under emulation and a HDF, you can customize the install and create your own image before committing it to your Amiga.

Creating the System.zip files and uploading them takes a lot of extra time too, especially on my crappy capped upload.

Finally, what I've found in the past (I provided a zip file in the early days) was people were unzipping the file directly under windows which caused some problems. They also were ignoring using WinUAE to copy files direcly to a hard drive, which is by far the quickest and easiest way to install.

So although I won't be providing System.zip files directly, I guess uploading some indirectly onto the EAB file server is fine for those struggling to create System.zip files.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 20 March 2010 at 12:20.
Old 21 March 2010, 00:18   #26
rare_j
Zone Friend

Hi,
If it is any help, I have a mountlist for mounting hardfiles using DiskImage (diskimage.lha form aminet, not the other one)
Here's the mountlist; save this as a text file in devs: called file0.ml or whatever you like.

Code:
  /**
  ** Mountlist for DiskImage (diskimage.lha)
  ** for hardfiles compatible with WinUAE
  ** Set HighCyl to: (hdf size in bytes / (32 * 512)) - 1
  **/

FILE0:
    Device          = diskimage.device
    Unit            = 0
    Flags           = 0
    Surfaces        = 1
    BlocksPerTrack  = 32
    Reserved        = 2
    Mask            = 0x7ffffffc
    MaxTransfer     = 0x00200000
    Interleave      = 0
    LowCyl          = 0
    HighCyl         = ***set HighCyl here***
    Buffers         = 5
    BufMemType      = 1
    StackSize       = 4096
    Priority        = 5
    GlobVec         = -1
    Activate        = 1
    Baud            = 0
#
You need to set the HighCyl correctly in the mountfile for the hdf you want to mount. So if the hardfile is 500MB (524288000 bytes) then enter the HighCyl as 31999.

Code:
    HighCyl         = 31999
Then mount the hardfile and get DiskImage to do its thing:

Code:
mount FILE0: from DEVS:file0.ml
diskimagectrl unit 0 insert DH0:ClassicWB/System_ADVSP.hdf
list file0:
It should just appear on the workbench.
To un-mount it you can do:

Code:
diskimagectrl Unit 0 eject
ASSIGN DISMOUNT FILE0:
I'm no expert but this works for me.
Old 21 March 2010, 07:31   #27
Amiga1992

HI, thanks to everyone for ignoring me twice! :P
WHERE CAN I GET THIS PALETTE?
I don't want anything BUT the palette.
Old 21 March 2010, 07:48   #28
Cammy

Hi Akira, sorry for ignoring you, I wasn't ignoring you I just haven't had time to get back to reply yet. I'll upload the palette again as soon as possible. Rebel is trying to finish off his first couple of theme packs to upload with the palette to Aminet and the Amiga-Look website at http://www.amiga-look.org

rare_j, thanks I'll definitely give that a go! I hope this will help me mount ADFs too.

Bloodwych, I'm sorry I never replied to your offer to send me the zip file originally, and I understand it's not really worth the extra effort/bandwidth/storage space to upload the zips too. I just didn't want to bother you with something so trivial since you probably have much more important things to do, I think I had pissed you off enough already by complaining about not being able to access them on my own.

Last edited by Cammy; 21 March 2010 at 07:58. Reason: Added website URL
Old 21 March 2010, 09:01   #29
Cammy

I have uploaded the FullPalette preferences to The Zone. You should be able to just double click on the icon, or open the project from within the FullPalette preferences program.
Old 21 March 2010, 10:25   #30
AmigaFriend

Thumbs up

Many thanks Cammy for the Palette for your's and Rebel's efforts. I'll be looking forward for the packs.

Keep both the excellent work!
Old 21 March 2010, 11:12   #31
Bloodwych

Quote:
Bloodwych, I'm sorry I never replied to your offer to send me the zip file originally, and I understand it's not really worth the extra effort/bandwidth/storage space to upload the zips too. I just didn't want to bother you with something so trivial since you probably have much more important things to do, I think I had pissed you off enough already by complaining about not being able to access them on my own.
I'm sorry too Cammy if you felt that way. I'm always very happy to help, especially someone like yourself who really is a great member of the community.

I can come across as a bit of a straight talker, but in no way would I be bothered by your suggestions or requests. Not in the slightest. You add a lot to our community, so should never feel you are bothering anyone by asking and suggesting how things should be done. I spend more time helping some unknown and ungrateful people with trivial problems on the packs, so no objections to helping you out.

Looks like Akira is salivating at Rebel's optimized palette too!!! I'm not surprised!

Anyway, thank you Cammy for showing us your brilliant Workbench setup, and organising a palette and themes through Rebel (thanks to Rebel too). If you need any help with your pack, then as I said above, I'm here as a consultant.

I'll put together those packs in System. zip form today and upload them somewhere. Look out for a pm.

rare_j, brilliant - that's useful info. I'd love to add hard drive support into the ClassicWB packs and that mount file will do the trick. Thanks!
Old 21 March 2010, 11:16   #32
Bloodwych

Just downloaded from the zone! I will have some fun with this and adding some themes! Thanks again Cammy and Rebel! I will add credit if I use this in the packs, as I know a lot of work went into optimizing it.
Old 21 March 2010, 12:38   #33
EmuChicken

@cammy; Bloodwych is a complete tit at times... dont worry about it... it comes with the job. - what you can do is put some money into his paypal account and Im sure he'll forget it ever happened...

... damn pimp

- looking good though ;-)
Old 21 March 2010, 12:40   #34
Bloodwych

EmuC is right on the money there - on both accounts (paypal account will be pm'ed to you later)
Old 21 March 2010, 15:40   #35
Amiga1992

Quote:
Hi Akira, sorry for ignoring you, I wasn't ignoring you I just haven't had time to get back to reply yet.
Hey I was teasing, no sweat

Thanks for the upload!! I will give this thing a try
Old 21 March 2010, 17:50   #36
ami_junkie

Hi guys sorry I have been away this weekend, just want to check if Cammy still needs the .zip file, if so how would you like to have it? Thanks for uploading the full palette preferences, will have a go with it later tomorrow. *Update* Just had a play around with new palette, it is really nice however I am wondering if anyone knows how to switch on dithering for newicons in the ClassicWB pack?

Last edited by ami_junkie; 22 March 2010 at 10:04.

Old 28 March 2010, 03:00   #37
Cammy

Hello Bloodwych,

I would like nothing more than to be able to donate money to you and all the other hard working Amiga developers out there, but I can barely afford to eat. I've never had a job and probably never will, my only hope is that I can some day write my own Amiga software good enough to earn donations for myself, then I can finally give back to the Amiga community that has provided so much for me.

I promise I will try to save up so I can send you a PayPal donation for your ClassicWB packs, and if you want I won't extract them or try them out until I can afford it.
Old 28 March 2010, 03:07   #38
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Cammy

err, I think he was joking princess, =)

well I hope he is... after all I haven't received a PM yet.... mind you if Wichy is going Alphabetically WHOOHOO I will be close to last!!, by wich time he should be well and truly rich and wont worry about me =D

Anyway, truly he was pulling your leg / cute braids so save your pennies and eat, sleep and dream amiga =D
Old 28 March 2010, 11:06   #39
Bloodwych

Don't worry Cammy, I'm not bothered about donations, EmuChicken was just joking above and I went along with him. You are free to use the packs - I'm not in it for the money and just happy to see people using them. Thank you for the polite offer however.

Looking at your setup though, I think they are of limited use to you anyway as you already have a nice Workbench. Great work on your Amiga's Cammy.

I take far more out of this community than I put in - that is payment enough.

@Zetro - I've decided to go reverse order, with those early on the list getting hit HARD.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 28 March 2010 at 11:59.
Old 28 March 2010, 14:59   #40
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
@Zetro - I've decided to go reverse order, with those early on the list getting hit HARD.

bugger ........... ya got me.....

/Zetr0 Hands over is credit card