English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 07 October 2013, 04:11   #1
Obliterator

Smile HxC Slim in my A500

Hi all

I fitted a HxC slim in my A500 last week had to share a picture its best thing I have done for my Amiga

Old 07 October 2013, 04:22   #2
NovaCoder

Nice, looks very professional

Much better than swapping floppies I'd imagine.
Old 07 October 2013, 08:30   #3
psygnosis

Nice one been thinkin about getting of these for ages whats the crack with them do you need lots of memory to use them and can you just copy and paste adf files from your pc onto them
Old 07 October 2013, 09:02   #4
musojon74

They are so good. I have one just bought for my ste. I briefly tried it in my a600 and I think I shall purchase one for my Amigas too. It would sort out backing up workbench disks as well as the ease of grabbing and running disk images :-)

You have a converter program. You load the images into it, then export them as .hfe images ( these are needed for hxc ) and bang them on ss card. If you use the one without display you need to copy 2 files ( a config for the hxc and a menu prog ). Then boot Amiga and select from the list of games :-)

Last edited by prowler; 07 October 2013 at 20:13. Reason: Back-to-back posdts merged.
Old 08 October 2013, 05:46   #5
Obliterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Nice, looks very professional

Much better than swapping floppies I'd imagine.
Yes it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
Nice one been thinkin about getting of these for ages whats the crack with them do you need lots of memory to use them and can you just copy and paste adf files from your pc onto them
No extra memory is need at all my A500 is only 512k and it runs great and as musojon74 said you just need to convert the ADFs to HFE with the software on the website and copy two files to the SD card.

Last edited by prowler; 08 October 2013 at 20:19. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 09 October 2013, 00:53   #6
Miggy2TheMax

Looks awesome, thanks for posting the image! I'm thinking about getting this unit for my 500. Was there anything you need to watch for when installing? Was it like plug and play.. or more like plug and pray?
Old 09 October 2013, 01:12   #7
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Very interested to know which drive you butchered for its base?

I have a large pile of drives from all over the shop that could yield themselves for this.

I have both types of HxC sitting around awaiting my attention.
Old 09 October 2013, 04:09   #8
Obliterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggy2TheMax View Post
Looks awesome, thanks for posting the image! I'm thinking about getting this unit for my 500. Was there anything you need to watch for when installing? Was it like plug and play.. or more like plug and pray?
Its kind of more plug and play than plug and pray there a few little things to do like extending the power supply cable and finding a longer floppy drive cable and cutting off the little lug on the floppy cable connection so that it plug onto the back of the HxC Slim and setting up the SD card is easy enough.

And ElectroBlaster I used a old dead Sony floppy drive it came with a A2000 I once had I just removed the bottom section and used it the drive model was MPF920-1.
Old 10 October 2013, 04:26   #9
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliterator View Post
Its kind of more plug and play than plug and pray there a few little things to do like extending the power supply cable and finding a longer floppy drive cable and cutting off the little lug on the floppy cable connection so that it plug onto the back of the HxC Slim and setting up the SD card is easy enough.

And ElectroBlaster I used a old dead Sony floppy drive it came with a A2000 I once had I just removed the bottom section and used it the drive model was MPF920-1.
Cool, thanks for the installation tips.
Old 26 October 2013, 16:00   #10
Hewitson

I like the way you've done that mod. I'd like one of these for my A2000, but having to convert the disk images before use is a deal breaker for me.
Old 26 October 2013, 18:36   #11
jimbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I like the way you've done that mod. I'd like one of these for my A2000, but having to convert the disk images before use is a deal breaker for me.
I had a brief loan of an HxC and it is an excellent gadget. I wasn't too bothered about it before but now I want one. I think the rev F fits in a standard floppy bay, that's what I would get for a big box amiga.

Loading the card with images is a slight downer but the convertor program is decent. It has a batch mode which IIRC can preserve your directory structure if you have all your adfs organised. The format conversion must be a pretty simple affair because it desn't seem to take much longer than just copying the file.
Old 08 May 2014, 10:37   #12
manic23
Only Amiga!

Sorry I know this is old, but I also just got one of these baby and plan to fit it to my A500, this post (and pic) is very useful many thanks. I was just about to post a question about doing this, no need now!
Old 11 May 2014, 13:25   #13
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

I personally don't need one for the Amiga 1200, what with all the WHDLOAD files being on my CF drive and the floppy works. Great for those with an A500 or broken floppy drive

However I do need one for my Amstrad CPC 6128, just a bit too expensive atm
Old 11 May 2014, 20:45   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The £13 Gotek drives are having Amstrad CPC6128 firmware written by HM according to his page.

http://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

Old 11 May 2014, 21:12   #15
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Old 04 August 2014, 23:47   #16
junosix

I've just put an HxC Slim in my A500 (with 1MB expansion) and I'm having difficulty with it seeing disk images. Freshly formatted a 2GB SD card as FAT32 and put AUTOBOOT.HFE and HXCSDFE.CFG on, and converted a few .adf images to .hfe and put them on. It boots to the menu but doesn't display any disk images. But if I erase AUTOBOOT.HFE and rename one of the game or demo disk images to that name then it boots into that image in place of booting to the menu. Any ideas?

EDIT: D'oh - silly me. I used a twisted floppy drive cable, had to set the jumpers differently. Working a treat now!

Last edited by junosix; 05 August 2014 at 22:47.
Old 28 August 2014, 00:49   #17
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The £13 Gotek drives are having Amstrad CPC6128 firmware written by HM according to his page.

http://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/
3 months and nothing, ended up spending far more on a HxC
Old 28 August 2014, 06:38   #18
ADz
A mighty pirate!

That complete lack of display, only one button operation and having to convert disk images was a deal breaker for me on the slims.

I have gone for a Gotek drive for now as a cheaper (and better alternative) to the slim. I will however be upgrading this to a HxC that has 3 button and full display at some point and possibly a case mod
Old 28 August 2014, 07:22   #19
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADz View Post
That complete lack of display, only one button operation and having to convert disk images was a deal breaker for me on the slims.

I have gone for a Gotek drive for now as a cheaper (and better alternative) to the slim. I will however be upgrading this to a HxC that has 3 button and full display at some point and possibly a case mod
I think the slim can be upgraded to have a display anyway.

Its just a pity jens never had the foresight to put a serial in on the indivision for overlay text, would be so awesome to be able to display an overlay for things like the gotek or hxc etc.. Oh well...
Old 18 September 2014, 07:25   #20
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
I think the slim can be upgraded to have a display anyway....
Right !

EDIT : More details here :
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewt...p=10351#p10351

Last edited by Jeff_HxC2001; 21 September 2014 at 23:16.