English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 22 January 2019, 00:34   #21
AC/DC HACKER!

Okay, I'll make a video soon and sent it to YouTube of my Amiga and WinUAE.

YouTube: My machine. [ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 January 2019, 12:41   #22
jotd
This cat is no more

that was super-useful! I'll check what the game does in the sound department.
Old 22 January 2019, 19:59   #23
AC/DC HACKER!

Ohh!! Fantastic, I was trying to think of everything I could when you typed you wanted machine specs. Only blunder was I didn't make sure the beginning part was focused well enough. But I figured the game play, and attempting to get the sounds to happen were more important.

I didn't make a WinUAE video because it does the same thing...and I'm not a fan of redundancy. BUT if you still want one, I could deliver.

Anything else...just ask.
Old 22 January 2019, 21:10   #24
jotd
This cat is no more

I really appreciate this kind of report. Some other people have done that in the past and it's better than a thousand words And that's probably a problem in the game when running whdload, not a real whdload problem.

Can probably be fixed. I'll have a look (even if I cannot reproduce it, I can find some suspicious code parts)
Old 23 January 2019, 00:24   #25
AC/DC HACKER!

Greetings again, follow Amigan. Actually words are very helpful but I've met a lot of people that don't do so well with describing problems. If you're not technical or really attentive to details it can be very challenging to describe something. In away, it also helps to be more of a wordsmith. Hehe. Videos help when people are/aren't able to articulate. I've been in Amiga sales before, hung with the techs that did stuff..and also did repairs. Though I'm not into soldering I've also watched that as well. Some people think they know Amiga OS very well, but I've watched them do stuff and didn't know it as thought. I'm not referring to a programming level, like what you're doing, but more basic.

I've done some cr'ing in my time, but not to the level that you, Stingray, Galahad etc do. I think that's fantastic(!!). I very much savvy your meaning of might not be able to reproduce it but are skilled and intuitive enough to find suspicious code parts.

Excited about a possible fix. When you're able to do so.
Old 23 January 2019, 22:33   #26
jotd
This cat is no more

Okay, something could be a problem here.

I had patched the executable load so it uses chipmem only for some sections.

Here's the version which isn't patched. It's probably slower, but more chance for sound to work properly.

BeneathASteelSkyCD32.zip
Old 24 January 2019, 17:11   #27
AC/DC HACKER!

That's it! Game sounds normal. I've started it a couple times..but after the first run I knew it is "solved". I used my real hardware, and then WinUAE. Because I would shift the priority of slower FAST...that was my clue it has something to do with that.

I am not bugged or bothered that it's a little slower loading. :-) I'll play some more, and do some resets to be sure. But Ahhhh...it's nice to hear it correctly with my CyberStormPPC/060.

Are you considering doing a rewrite of patching Chipmem?

Update: Without NoCache the text don't always display correctly or are "skipped" on through in parts quickly. If not displayed, then sound for it also not. With NoCache set, all seems to be just like CD32. Thumbs up. I'll do some more checking but I'm sure you've nailed it. At least for Amiga 4000's close to or matching my rig. I suspect for other Systems as well.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 24 January 2019 at 19:47.
Old 24 January 2019, 20:59   #28
jotd
This cat is no more

I would love to check this on WinUAE. Is there a non-PPC config that I can try? and does the non-speech package (speech not installed) have this same issue?

You talked about "slower fast". Can you post an image of your "memory" configuration tab of WinUAE / your winuae config file?

If I cannot fix it properly (fastmem usage + fixed sound) I'll release the chipmem only slave alongside the other one. But that doesn't explain why with the same virtual configuration on whdload it works on some ram configs and on some it doesn't.
Old 24 January 2019, 23:41   #29
AC/DC HACKER!

You may have it. First one is mine. A4000 CSPPC.

I'll check on making a "stock", or very basic A4000 without a PPC config.

I haven't checked the other BSS WHDLoad installs but I have them and am going to check. Currently I'm debugging some hardware stuff. I'll post again soon.

Oh, and "slower fast" was meaning my BigRAMPlus 256MB which is slow slower than the RAM on my CyberStorm SCSI-3.
Old 25 January 2019, 01:16   #30
AC/DC HACKER!

Here's an almost totally stock A4000 with 68040. Nothing thrilling (Muhahha! It's an Amiga, how can it Not Be thrilling?). 256MB FAST RAM. Not any Graphics boards. If you want the HF, PM me. I have a Opus, and the BSS Voices installed as well a WHDLoad..newest from public site.

I have your previous as well as attached slave from here in same directory. Easily renamed. With the old Slave the menu button beeps aren't heard, and neither is that odd sound. With the attached Slave from here, the menu beeps are heard and so is sound from machine. For 68060, just change CPU settings. All 68040/060 libs are included. If you want the HF..that is.

Update: I found the cause. It's the CyberStormPPC. I was able to use WinUAE 4.1.0. Public Beta 11 (which I've been using) to reproduce my hardware. I added CSPPC, and full 128MB RAM and it does the odd beep. Without the CSPPC..I'm not able to reproduce it.
Attached Files
File Type: uae Stock A400 with 256MB RAM for BaSS..uae (11.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: uae Stock A400 CSPPC with 256MB RAM for BaSS..uae (11.6 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 25 January 2019 at 22:08. Reason: Updated info.
Old 18 June 2019, 06:29   #31
AC/DC HACKER!

Haha, I just notice the typo I did in the configs. Pardon. Part of dyslexia. Anyway, I found a "beep" bug from the 2.1 slave. I'll note it in Mantis soon after more testing. However, JOTD, you really appreciated the help before, would you like help again? The bug is found in actual hardware, my A4000 (not A400)...but I haven't yet repeated it with WinUAE...though I've attempted to.

So maybe a "Rats...."beep is only with actual hardware now...and might not be fixed."?

I'm wondering if it's related to my BigRamPlus? After a bit I'll remove it from my A4000 and run it again. Either way, if I let the speech go I can hear the "beep" in it. I have made 2 videos..if you're interested.
Old 18 June 2019, 19:03   #32
jotd
This cat is no more

I thought the sound bug was fixed by slave update. Is that the same bug at the same location? or somewhere else?
Old 03 July 2019, 17:39   #33
AC/DC HACKER!

The slave update has stopped the previous *beep* from happening, but now it's different and when. It seems to only happen for my hardware. I made a new video. There are 2 times I've heard it so far. After "escaping" from the top stairs, there's a very long beep that lasts several seconds or until the LMB is clicked. So far, I have not been able to repeat it with WinUAE 4.2.1 PB3. I'm making a YouTube video.
Old 03 July 2019, 18:35   #34
AC/DC HACKER!

YouTube Link.. [ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 July 2019, 17:20   #35
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I thought the sound bug was fixed by slave update. Is that the same bug at the same location? or somewhere else?
Have you had the opportunity to look at and hear the video?