English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 16 January 2005, 18:26   #1
Freckle
I like hats

Location: I fell down the stairs and bumped my head, so I am kind of half-in, half-out of the broom cupboard
What's the very first game you ever played?

I know this has probably been asked in countless other threads, but I have been unable to find it anywhere (mainly because the search function keeps telling me that every word I search for is too popular and so will not be counted).

The very first game I remember playing was when I was at my sister's house as a littl'un and she had a game called Q-bert. I was only allowed one go, and then I was made to sit and watch her play for three boring hours.

Then you have to fast forward many years to when my little brothers had a playstation and I was trying to play one of those Fifa football games ( I think tha it was anyway). The only thing I remeber was (accidentally) walking up the pitch and then punching David Seaman in the face and being sent off. I was then beaten 6-0 by a five year old...
Old 16 January 2005, 18:35   #2
plasmatron
Zone Friend

I think it was GALAGA and DONKEY KONG in 1983. The ARCADE mashines were located in a chip shop in my street where I lived as a child.
Old 16 January 2005, 19:05   #3
Photon

Very hazy memories these, but I remember distinctly that my first encounter with computers was when I was 11 years old and went to the school in the city for a visit. We were shown the new school because from now on we would have to bus to the city to attend 7th grade and up. At the top of a tower there was this special teacher that would set dropouts straight and get them studying again. The same teacher had a bunch of computers in that tower, for students to use.

I remember he had a custom built Acorn Atom (6K RAM and a few K of ROM), a ZX-81, an Apple-II, and a VIC-20 (at the start). I was in heaven. Loving math and physics I got turned on immediately. Up until that time my main intereset was Lego I got to borrow the Acorn Atom (with a 12" b&w TV and no cassette) which I learned BASIC and Assembler on in a dark cupboard in my house. Later I got a cassette on borrow, so I wouldn't have to type in the programs every time I turned it off.

A while later I sold my gigantic box of Lego, which paid for half a TI-99/4A (my father helped me out so I could buy it). The TI was ludicrously slow, even in Assembler, and very limited. It had harddive support, speech synth, extended BASIC which unlocked features that was already in the TI but they cost a fortune. I'm talking thousands of dollars.

Hm, this got too long Anyway in one of the booths in this tower was the Apple-II. I'm sure my first game was either the Pong game (with paddles) or the Lemonade Manager type game where you bought lemons and sugar and sold lemonade, and if the weather was bad, you didn't sell much lemonade that day. One of those two.
Old 16 January 2005, 19:51   #4
Fenrir

Hmm yes it's a bit difficult for me too, but as for a "game", I remember correctly that I went to a convention with my father when I was VERY young, and in that resort they had a "videogame" consisting in a grid of leds, and there was this pad below made of 4 consecutive leds that moved left and right, and above there was a wall of red leds, and there was a "ball" (a signal that lit on and off leds resembling a bouncing ball) that had to bounce on my pad and on the wall of leds above.
Yes, a led arkanoid.

That was my first videogame ever.
If you mean the first game on a home computer (excluding the arcades), it was "Basket" on an Intellivision. I remember that clearly

On the arcades it should have been gyruss, or pengo, or pac-man. They were the only games in my town at the time.
Old 16 January 2005, 19:54   #5
StarEye
Zone Friend

I honestly have no memory of what my first game ever was. I wish I knew. I'm sure it's something on the C64 though, but I can't remember what it was.

Of of course, perhaps International Soccer on cartridge (c64) is at least ONE of the first games I've ever played.
Old 16 January 2005, 20:11   #6
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Space Invaders somewhere in Manchester City Centre..It wasn't in an arcade though..Too long ago to remember clearly
Old 16 January 2005, 20:32   #7
amigaade
Zone Friend

Sneaking into a local pub with me brother to watch 'em play Pong. (early 1970s)
Then getting one of those pong consoles, that played about 6 versions of the same game... ie. tennis on its side = football ... blip....blop...blip...he scores!!!! And like any drug i've been hooked since...i just moved onto the 'harder substances'.
Old 16 January 2005, 21:00   #8
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Some of the first games I remember playing

Thru' The Wall - on the Psions Introduction tape that was included with the ZX Spectrum. I was 9 at the time.

Several type-in games from magazines

The first retail game i played on the ZX Spectrum was the Pacman clone 'Gulpman'.

Parsec on the TI-99/4A at the local radio store.

Some blocky games on the Phillips Videopac G7000.
I remember we used to call it "The G-thousandsevenhundred' :-)

I remember playing Gnasher (Mastertronic) and Krazy Kong (Ocean) on the ZX Spectrum. Both retail games.

1985+
Lots and lots of ZX Spectrum games..

(Had a ZX Spectrum between 1983 to 1989 when i sold it and bought a C64..which later i sold and used the money to buy a moped. A Puch MZ-50. It ran 80km/h downhill on a good day)

Frantic Freddie, Wizard of Wor, Zaxxon and more, on a C64 a teacher put up at my school. I remember most of the games on the tape were cracked by GCS, German Cracking Service. Another teacher brought his Amstrad CPC 464 with the green monitor, on which we played some crossword puzzle game and hangman game. When I was put 'outside' the classroom on bad behaviour, they put me in the room where the Amstrad was. How's that for punishment!

Last edited by Sune Salminen; 18 January 2005 at 02:44.
Old 16 January 2005, 21:40   #9
Marcuz

Pong! on a hanimex console... the feeling of it is difficult to recreate. only some of the games i've ever played make the trick. aww it was so enjoyable pick up a real fight with my brother on a match... what was 1981? 82?
Old 16 January 2005, 23:53   #10
madenph

Wow this took some thinking about...

First Game: Mr Bump's Apple Picking Game
First Electronic Game: Missile Invader (Bandai Hand-held)
First Arcade Game: Wheel Em In (the one where you had to aim a 2p to miss the black lines on a rolling conveyer belt and you won 10p back). They still have one of these at the arcade on the lake shore at Bowness.
First Electronic Arcade Game: Tough to remember, it's likely Centipede or Asteroids, they had them at the local sports centre.
First Home Computer Game Played: Snapper (Acorn Electron)
First Home Computer Game Bought: Elite (Acorn Electron)
First Amiga Game Played: Goldrunner
First Game played on *my* Amiga: Batman the Movie
Old 17 January 2005, 00:25   #11
Freckle
I like hats

Location: I fell down the stairs and bumped my head, so I am kind of half-in, half-out of the broom cupboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by madenph
First Game: Mr Bump's Apple Picking Game
Just the name of that really makes me want to play it!

[*checks eBay...]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apples.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	7826  

Last edited by Freckle; 17 January 2005 at 02:02.
Old 17 January 2005, 00:58   #12
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

The first game I ever played was on one of those consoles that played the bat & ball 'pong' type games on your tv. It consisted of 2 paddles and u just played against a friend batting the square ball across the screen. To think at one time that was state of the art!
Old 17 January 2005, 01:11   #13
Peanutuk

My first gaming memory was playing with my brother on his wooden Atari VCS 2600. We shared a bedroom with a bed on each side and the monitor really high up the far wall between two wardrobes.

My first game was one of two games. It was either Pele's Soccer that consisted of three bolted together 'men' running up and down the pitch; hilariously it was more like rugby as you had a kind of tussle in the middle of the park and whoever barged their way through had a clean run on goal (there being only three footballers per side).

Or it was Spiderman (just look at that cover, well worth £50!), which involved Spiderman climbing up a building and swinging on a web. I remember feeling particularly excited about this one. I had my own full body Spiderman costume.

These must of been played around 1982/83.
Old 17 January 2005, 01:27   #14
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
Moonlander on some obscure computer in the late 70's
Old 17 January 2005, 01:28   #15
oldpx

Said that years ago but my first game was river raid, wasn't retro back then. It was placed in an arcade cabinet, in the arcade of a ship. Yes I played my first computer game on a ship!

Old 17 January 2005, 01:40   #16
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I think the first game I ever saw was Pong. Some lucky rich bastard neighbour got a game console (can't remember which one), then showed off to all the neighbourhood kids to get them jealous (it worked). They also had a Road Race-type game and a Space Invaders clone.

Around the same time (1980?) the local bowling alley got 3 arcade games: Berserk, Centipede and Asteroids. I was shocked and amazed by the digitized robot voices and laser sounds in Berserk. (In fact, I'm STILL looking for a good Amiga version... "Zerberk" is good, but just doesn't have the "feel")

After that, somebody got an Atari 2600 and I managed to constantly get myself "invited" over to their house to play "Yar's Revenge". Later, somebody else then got an Atari 800XL, and I conveniently managed to get myself invited over to play "Montezuma's Revenge" and "Ballblaster". A couple years later, I bought an Amiga and never had to get myself invited anywhere again.
Old 17 January 2005, 01:45   #17
madenph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckle
Just the name of that really makes me want to play it!

[*checks eBay...]
http://my-mr-men-and-little-miss-world.co.uk/games.htm

That's all I can find on it :-(

Nice easy game for 2 players, you spin the wheel and whatever number it lands on you got to collect that many apples off (or if you're unlucky put back on) the tree. I guess the idea was it taught you how to count. In the end my mum confiscated it as it got violent when my sister caught me cheating
Old 17 January 2005, 05:55   #18
Android
A1200 Pervert OnBoard

Easy, Tennis (pong) on a black panasonic console from Dixons WAY back in 1981 ... the only sound it made was "plok".... *Thx Uncle Walt for introducing me to videogames* RIP.
Old 17 January 2005, 20:44   #19
lloyd
Mehh :D

First game I ever played seriously was Elite on my Spectrum. Ah, those were the days!
Old 17 January 2005, 21:37   #20
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

First game I ever played was a blatant Pacman rip-off (forgot the name). Not that I knew that back then