English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 28 May 2020, 13:36   #21
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Because majority of people who say that, could make room if they really wanted to.
Yeah, and I could fit an elephant in my apartment "if I really wanted to", meaning I would have to get rid of other stuff to make room for it. So saying "I have no room" is still perfectly valid.
Old 28 May 2020, 15:52   #22
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Yeah, and I could fit an elephant in my apartment "if I really wanted to", meaning I would have to get rid of other stuff to make room for it. So saying "I have no room" is still perfectly valid.
Sure it's valid, when you really have no room. Which is why I did not say it's everybody.

For the rest though, it reminds me of the time my folks were fobbing off my pleas of buying a microcomputer with "but where would you put it?". I see now that they really were concerned with an insurmountable spatial conundrum such purchase would create (and not some other irrelevant stuff like cost and ills of gaming), so thanks for clearing that up
Old 13 June 2020, 18:37   #23
lilwshu

My Amiga returned from recapping today and I got to try it on my Retrotink 2x-SCART setup. This setup produces no noticeable lag and an excellent picture on my PS1 and Saturn.

On the Amiga via RGB SCART at 576i, I immediately noticed significant lag when moving the mouse, plus slight interference on the screen and occasional screen flicker. Overall the picture was sharp and Workbench looked pretty good.

I loaded SWOS (excellent lag and blurriness test) and again significant lag was noticed. Some blurring on the players was apparent also.

I got my trusty CRT out of the cupboard and tested again to make sure memory or rather old SCART cable wasn't playing tricks - no interference, no lag, no blurriness.

Conclusion: at the moment, Retrotink 2X-SCART is horrible with my PAL Amiga 1200. I will be in touch with the guy who makes it to see what could be the cause.
Old 13 June 2020, 21:06   #24
npagonis73

That is interesting because I am waiting for people to try it in order to make up my mind. What resolution your amiga is outputting? What pal mode? Laced or interlaced? What hdmi monitor are you connecting the retrotink to? I don’t mind a little lag since I don’t play games but at least I want the picture to be sharp, nice colors etc.
Old 13 June 2020, 21:23   #25
lilwshu

I tried it in High Res and High Res Laced in PAL and NTSC modes with no difference. The interlaced modes are present with flicker on the Retrotink so not really usable (the built in SCART on my TV deinterlaces the image and gives a better result on Workbench, it looks horrendous in games). I have a Panasonic TX-24G302B TV.

After posting here I checked the Retrotink site and they have released new firmware in the last week - this has helped a lot with the lag but the "interference" is still there, it looks like a clock/phase problem. I have logged it with Retrotink and will update if anything comes of it.
Old 13 June 2020, 21:33   #26
npagonis73

Great thank you for all detailed info. I will be waiting for your news if you manage to improve the situation. One more question. What have you been using till now in order to have a nice picture from yr amiga; I am asking in order to compare with my equipment and get an idea.

I have the cheap but good for my use hdmi converter which does a good job for people who don't play games and use amiga workbench, internet, emails, music, productivity software and writing some code. I also have ossc the latest model which I can't seem to be able to configure properly with my amiga and the results are disgusting so I don't use it.

Thank you again for yr time
Old 14 June 2020, 18:29   #27
lilwshu

I have been using a 14" Panasonic CRT over RGB SCART up to now (and have switched back over to it today).

I have had a response from the guy from Retrotink so will update if/when anything changes.
Old 14 June 2020, 20:26   #28
lilwshu

Update: the guy who makes them has blamed everything except the box for mostly implausible reasons, so I strongly recommend not using a Retrotink 2X-SCART with an Amiga.
Old 14 June 2020, 20:44   #29
npagonis73

Ok good to know!! Probably it is just for retro consoles and nothing more. Thanks for letting me know. Won’t be buying it!!
Old 15 June 2020, 13:41   #30
jbilander

Thanks lilwshu for letting us know regarding the 2X-SCART, I wonder if the same goes for the RAD2x PS2 cable if modified with a d-sub db23 plug. If anyone tried that with an Amiga please let us know about your findings here.
Old 15 June 2020, 15:14   #31
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It's sort of hard to understand how this could be possible because the 240p signal the other consoles produce that look ok to good on RetroTink should be identical to the one the Amiga produces. There are lots of reviews of RetroTink2x / RAD2x for SNES, N64, Dreamcast etc and were all ok to good. Little negative feedback.

Either this lag/blurriness exists on all 240p input or it doesn't? Surely?
Old 15 June 2020, 15:16   #32
xyzzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post
Update: the guy who makes them has blamed everything except the box for mostly implausible reasons, so I strongly recommend not using a Retrotink 2X-SCART with an Amiga.
Have you switched your TV to game mode?
Old 16 June 2020, 00:08   #33
lilwshu

My TVs (I tried a couple to be sure) are in game mode.

You would indeed expect the same results from consoles and the Amiga but that isn’t what I am seeing. There could be something particular to my setup which is messing things up but I have no idea what it could be - I tried NTSC mode on the Amiga in case it was the PAL signal messing it up with no change and the lag thing is a total mystery.