English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 27 March 2014, 18:37   #1
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Tutorial:- Large Disk Support for Classic Workbench & AmigaOS

Hi!

This is my first attempt at a tutorial Video for Large Disk support, I've always avoided doing this due to the complexity but as so many people have asked... Please note I cannot accept any liability if you misuse tools like Diskpart and loose your Data. I recommend you read up on the documentation for all software demonstrated.

The aim of this guide is to show you the steps to prepare a large drive for Amiga use, as you might know the original IDE device has a 4gb limit so we need to patch this and the file system to allow larger drives to be used. The Video covers this along with partitioning the drive, adding the file system and even getting Workbench onto the drive.

I hope the tutorial helps and is not overly complicated, please note you will need to have a reasonably good understanding of AmigaOS and be familiar with WinUAE/Windows. I'm using Classic Workbench for my guide, the steps will be similar in a normal Workbench releases but the scsi.device patching in 3.1 would be a little more complex.

I will try and help with any questions but there are a lot of different file systems and eventualities involved, some can be extremely complex depending on your target Amiga.

Thanks for watching! =D

[ Show youtube player ]

If you're a beginner and need a step by step guide to setting up a more basic install you can see my other tutorial here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68315
Old 27 March 2014, 20:19   #2
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Excellent! Thank you! I was about to PM you to see if you had a step-by-step process.
Old 27 March 2014, 20:31   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
Excellent! Thank you! I was about to PM you to see if you had a step-by-step process.
Must have read your mind

Hope it helps, any probs just drop me a PM or post here.
Old 14 April 2014, 18:07   #4
paulo_becas

Great tutorial.

Maybe you could explain how to patch scsi.device ver. 43.43 to ver. 43.45 under OS3.9

I've been searching for ages on how to do this, on aminet the explanation is not very clear for someone like me, maybe you could help.
Old 15 April 2014, 19:49   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hi!

Sorry I missed your post yesterday, I replied now in your other post as you saw.

All the best
Old 26 April 2014, 14:58   #6
vikingo

hi fitzsteve....great tutorial.

one info please.......how to connect the amiga in HDMI tv lcd ? it's superb quality !!!!!

thx

Old 26 April 2014, 15:20   #7
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hi vikingo, I'm using an indivision aga mkII with DVI to vga adapter. You can see it in my video showing my A1200 and blizzard 1260.
Old 17 January 2019, 20:56   #8
Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Hi!

This is my first attempt at a tutorial Video for Large Disk support, I've always avoided doing this due to the complexity but as so many people have asked... Please note I cannot accept any liability if you misuse tools like Diskpart and loose your Data. I recommend you read up on the documentation for all software demonstrated.

The aim of this guide is to show you the steps to prepare a large drive for Amiga use, as you might know the original IDE device has a 4gb limit so we need to patch this and the file system to allow larger drives to be used. The Video covers this along with partitioning the drive, adding the file system and even getting Workbench onto the drive.

I hope the tutorial helps and is not overly complicated, please note you will need to have a reasonably good understanding of AmigaOS and be familiar with WinUAE/Windows. I'm using Classic Workbench for my guide, the steps will be similar in a normal Workbench releases but the scsi.device patching in 3.1 would be a little more complex.

I will try and help with any questions but there are a lot of different file systems and eventualities involved, some can be extremely complex depending on your target Amiga.

Thanks for watching! =D

[ Show youtube player ]

If you're a beginner and need a step by step guide to setting up a more basic install you can see my other tutorial here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68315
this is exactly what ive been looking for thanks hopefully i can get mine working after watching every video on the net about this subject im going to look for a 3.9 im trying very unsucssesfully at using 3.1 so far for my 16 gig sanddisk cf drive ....

(EDITED) ah i need a 3.9 install disk how would i do this on a a1200 that dont have a cd drive do they come on floppy disks too ?. lol ok. back to 3.1 and head banging.

Last edited by Triple; 18 January 2019 at 00:52.
Old 18 January 2019, 11:46   #9
paulo_becas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
(EDITED) ah i need a 3.9 install disk how would i do this on a a1200 that dont have a cd drive do they come on floppy disks too ?. lol ok. back to 3.1 and head banging.

You can do this on a PC using WinUAE but you will need a copy of AmigaOS 3.9.
It's much easier to prepare averything on a PC like you see in the Fitzsteve video.
Old 18 January 2019, 12:46   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
ah i need a 3.9 install disk how would i do this on a a1200 that dont have a cd drive do they come on floppy disks too ?. lol ok. back to 3.1 and head banging.
If you have a well configured system you could mount the ISO or write the ISO on a CF if you have an adapter.

If the HD is to be mounted on an AMiGA Real, better to use "HD Controller A600/1200/A4000 IDE" with "HD Controller UAE" may not start, see video.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 January 2019, 05:30   #11
Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
If you have a well configured system you could mount the ISO or write the ISO on a CF if you have an adapter.

If the HD is to be mounted on an AMiGA Real, better to use "HD Controller A600/1200/A4000 IDE" with "HD Controller UAE" may not start, see video.

[ Show youtube player ]
thanks for this it came a litle late tho i used this in the end [ Show youtube player ] and finally got it working i pld a few games but after a restart now i cant get it to work again lol i get that rom screen . i havnt got my amiga back from the menders yet so i can only do stuff thru pc-cf and card reader but i got everything working from her video classic wb with games done all the wdload and igame and repo's .. weird how its just stopped now tho . the only thing from her video i could not get to work was the shell command sfs:fastfilesystem drive format name thing it gave me an error so all i done was close the shell and right clicked and formatted it that way then it showed up as a drive .
Old 19 January 2019, 09:52   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
. the only thing from her video i could not get to work was the shell command sfs:fastfilesystem drive format name thing it gave me an error so all i done was close the shell and right clicked and formatted it that way then it showed up as a drive .
The command you wrote was wrong, however "right clicked and formatted" is the same, only if you use filesystems like SFS or PFS you have to do a quick formatting, see video

Install SFS Filesystem and format partitions with the Workbench:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 January 2019, 10:48   #13
-Acid-

Quote:
My recent video might help you if you can use your pc to set it up

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 January 2019, 12:45   #14
Triple

[QUOTE=AMIGASYSTEM;1298724]The command you wrote was wrong, however "right clicked and formatted" is the same, only if you use filesystems like SFS or PFS you have to do a quick formatting, see video

Install SFS Filesystem and format partitions with the Workbench:

yeah im not good at typing commands or remembering them but i did type it perfectly about 10 times i dont think my file was in exactly the same place as netti's so it couldnt find it so i gave up knowing i could just right click it after
Old 19 January 2019, 12:56   #15
Triple

[QUOTE=-Acid-;1298728]My recent video might help you if you can use your pc to set it up

ah i learn new things daily so your 16bitbaz ?. HaHaHa i actually started watching your series of 4 videos but again there was something early on that i had too type in regarding the scsi.device that again my system couldnt load loadmodule blah blah blah that i got stuck on so had to find another to copy . then i also came across a write up set out word for word on your video so i could check my spelling again (i failed ) i had the file on my pc im guessing i wasnt pointing it it at the right place thanks for all your help guys like i said in a earlier post im sure i have it sorted now as i did play some games now whatever i do i just get the rom inserted disk screen but im sure i will fix this

also i noticed that fitzsteve and yourself acid(aka) 16bitbaz were credited at the end of netti's video so great work guys. (and proved i watched till the end)

Last edited by Triple; 19 January 2019 at 13:03.