English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 February 2013, 10:47   #1
clownstyle

Chaos Engine - Help us through co-op

Hey folks.

Was just wondering what the general consensus is about this game.
How many people have actually finished it? Is it possible?

Me and a mate are doing a playthrough in co-op and having a bit of a hard time.

At the moment we have got to world 2 level 2 but I think we may start again. I picked the preacher which didn't really do us many favors as he doesn't start with much health.

Any tips you can give us? We don't want to cheat but will be noting down our level codes as we go
Old 19 February 2013, 10:51   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

- The Navvie is the strongest mercenary. Carrying a cannon that will blast away any monster. One of his special powers is throwing a dynamite that will kill all your enemies on the screen. But he lacks speed and intelligence.
- The Thug is the second strongest mercenary. He is not so fast and smart either but his trusty shotgun and his molotov cocktails makes him very useful in battle.
- The Preacher is the smartest character and has God on his side. He carries a lightning gun that almost looks like a little wand but unleashes a powerful energy bolt that will both damage and pass trough to hit other monsters. First aid and freezing his enemies are some of his specials but beware: He has very low stamina!
- The Gentleman is my personal favourite. He is very clever and very respected person. His flame pistol will damage and pass trough every monster that he hits. He has many special tricks including Map, attract and repel monster.
- The Brigand is a very average and versatile mercenary. Shooting in all directions at the same time with his rifle is one of his specials.
- The Mercenary, a good all-arounder. His invention: the gatling gun is a very powerful weapon. He also has bombs and mines with him.
Old 19 February 2013, 11:58   #3
Cherno

I beat this game with my older brother more than 15 years ago, but when I played it again with a friend of mine recently we never got past level 2-1 before we ran out of lives. Christ, I don't remember the game being this hard! Anyway, after several failed attempts we just resorted to using a trainer for unlimited lives. We played with Brigand and Preacher I think.
Old 19 February 2013, 12:06   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's all down to progressing slowly and learning where everything is in the levels You can find a lot of extras when you backtrack quite often and explore the levels thoroughly. World number 4 is indeed very hard, but until then you should have enough extra 'beef' to handle it

Basically it's a good idea to try something different each time you play a level. I'd choose Brigand and Navvie, but also check the other characters for their extras.

Good luck
Old 19 February 2013, 12:59   #5
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
The preacher is probably not a good choice when you are new to the game. At least when playing a 2-player game.
In a one-player game he can be quite useful for beginner because of the first aid special power (you can swap your character's power with the CPU controlled power by using the space bar, so you actually can use each at anytime).

I highly recommend learning/exploring thoroughly the first world. The 4 levels are easy compared to the remaining of the game and getting the most out of them (power ups, lives, money) will help to be prepared for the forthcoming levels.
Old 19 February 2013, 13:06   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
I highly recommend learning/exploring thoroughly the first world. The 4 levels are easy compared to the remaining of the game and getting the most out of them (power ups, lives, money) will help to be prepared for the forthcoming levels.
And afterwards do the same in world 2 For me world 2 is the key to be able to finish the game, as it has lots of extras and is still not too hard. World 3 and 4 more or less drain your resources.
Old 19 February 2013, 15:33   #7
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Echoing what has already been said, learn the levels. It's actually not that difficult when you know what's coming. My fave combo is Navvie/Gentleman. Navvie is slow to start with, but he can take a lot of punishment and powers up a lot later on, but when you know the levels well enough, it's even doable with the Preacher
Old 19 February 2013, 23:57   #8
jedk

I beat The Chaos Engine with the Preacher and Mercenary years ago... I remember filming it on my VCR and taking the tape to school to prove it to my friends
Old 20 February 2013, 00:56   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedk View Post
I beat The Chaos Engine with the Preacher and Mercenary years ago... I remember filming it on my VCR and taking the tape to school to prove it to my friends
Wow, analog/offline youtube.
Old 20 February 2013, 14:15   #10
Cherno

I think overall Brigand is the best character, with either Navvy or Mercenary as a partner. Navvy is tough and has a great weapon, but he is so slow that he sometimes misses picking up coins before they disappear, and quick monsters and projectiles are also dangerous to him. Mercenary is faster but unfortunately his weapon becomes pretty shitty later on when it changed from a close burst to a wide burst, meaning that he can't hit single enemies with enough force.

I recommend taking a look at a walkthrough that has maps, I know I used one that described all possible paths through the levels with the best way to get as much loot as possible.
Old 20 February 2013, 14:46   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
I recommend taking a look at a walkthrough that has maps, I know I used one that described all possible paths through the levels with the best way to get as much loot as possible.
That's kinda ruining the fun. I'd say even unlimited lives won't spoil the game as much as looking at a walkthrough with all paths and secrets does... Chaos Engine is about exploring, at least for me.
Old 20 February 2013, 18:13   #12
clownstyle

Cheating is a no-no. If I've learnt anything in these years of gaming it's that cheats just ruin any game!

We have our hearts set on doing it the good old fashioned way =D

Lots of good tips from you guys though! We will be trying for another play through soon
Old 20 February 2013, 19:14   #13
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Now THAT is true commitment! lol

I recall devising an algorithm and created my own cheats - which I wrote about in my 'weekend diary'!
Old 22 February 2013, 13:33   #14
jedk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Now THAT is true commitment! lol

I recall devising an algorithm and created my own cheats - which I wrote about in my 'weekend diary'!
Let me read that diary!
Old 22 February 2013, 22:45   #15
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Let me read that diary!
I wonder if it will ever come out of my loft storage... no idea if I still have it! I remember I was only between the age of 8-10 as it was in Primary School! lol
Old 23 February 2013, 15:26   #16
jedk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
I wonder if it will ever come out of my loft storage... no idea if I still have it! I remember I was only between the age of 8-10 as it was in Primary School! lol
Nice.

Let me tell everyone a funny story. (It's 1.25am here in Australia and I'm drunk, so please forgive any typos.)

I used to know this guy called Jack O'Brien. And he played The Chaos Engine on the Sega. And at school, I always used to give him shit and say the CD32 version was better. And years and years went by, and he never beat The Chaos Engine...

And then finally I beat it, and taped it, and brought it to school... and he was the guy I played the video to.

And then he nodded to me, and said... "Jed... The CD32 rules."

And that is all for now.
Old 27 February 2013, 13:17   #17
clownstyle

Quote:
And then he nodded to me, and said... "Jed... The CD32 rules."
Old 27 February 2013, 19:13   #18
lesta_smsc

lol - I played it on my trusty A600 HD (yes, not forgetting the almight "HD" on the end!)
Old 28 February 2013, 13:33   #19
jedk

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownstyle View Post