English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 04 January 2003, 21:01   #1
Feltzkrone

Question "Leeching" the HOL database?

Hi HOL people!

Whoever pays the webserver (RCK?): Am I allowed to leech the HOL database by downloading all http://hol.abime.net/?id=X pages? As the ADFRen databases are also ment to contain infos like game credits and other stuff (compatibility info etc.), can I use the HOL database to fill these info?

I would use ReGet (DL manager) with a generated queue file so that no unneeded stuff is downloaded, just plaint HTML pages. In fact ADFRen would then become a kind of offline version of HOL, too, as users will be able to view databases, not just use them for renaming.

So hereby I ask for permission to "leech" the pages. Additionaly, if permission is granted, am I allowed to download screenshots too? Another far away aim for ADFRen is to work as some kind of frontend, too. Wouldn't it be nice to see screenshots of each game before playing it?

BTW: I won't do this NOW but if I may, I'll do it when ADFRen's first more or less final version is out.
Old 04 January 2003, 22:31   #2
RCK
Administrator

Re: "Leeching" the HOL database?

Quote:
Whoever pays the webserver (RCK?): Am I allowed to leech the HOL database by downloading all http://hol.abime.net/?id=X pages? As the ADFRen databases are also ment to contain infos like game credits and other stuff (compatibility info etc.), can I use the HOL database to fill these info?
lol, so we work and you use our data in order to fill your database ?
Quote:
I would use ReGet (DL manager) with a generated queue file so that no unneeded stuff is downloaded, just plaint HTML pages. In fact ADFRen would then become a kind of offline version of HOL, too, as users will be able to view databases, not just use them for renaming.
hum better, you now want to create one offline version of hol for your tool.
Quote:
So hereby I ask for permission to "leech" the pages. Additionaly, if permission is granted, am I allowed to download screenshots too? Another far away aim for ADFRen is to work as some kind of frontend, too. Wouldn't it be nice to see screenshots of each game before playing it?
Okay let's speak to see how we can proceed

First, the idea of dumping all raw data from the html rendering is not good, because all the HOL's engine / interface / feature are still in beta, and will be updated until the project will be considered as "finished" (it may take years, we still have a lot of ideas). I don't wanna see one HOL's massive dump every two months in order to be up-to-date

As a solution, I could code one HOL data -> (file structure to be define) converter ! so we could produce some regular and easy to import file data update (hol.zip)
(ex: $ID##$YEAR##$GAMENAME##$DEVELOPER... per line)
the ideal should be you integrate the HOL's id into your game database and use the dump file HOL's data into your project! it will be easier to update

About the images datas, I'm afraid those informations are too much heavy to be all downloaded or updated regularly. (Gigas) Maybe only using our DBS will also be one solution. (if your user won't be afraid to download a few hundred of Mega)

Your frontend could become one kind of HOL-light offline game launcher, that's a cool idea
Let's wait to see other team members reaction.
Old 04 January 2003, 22:38   #3
Feltzkrone

The HOL database => file idea is the best. I'd suggest a plain text file format for that. But you had the best idea however:

Using this DBfile instead of conversion to my own database format. In my own databases I could just place HOL IDs and that's it...

Very good idea!

EDIT:
Quote:
lol, so we work and you use our data in order to fill your database ?
I'd never use any of your datas without giving credits!
Old 06 January 2003, 22:23   #4
Korodny
Zone Friend

@RCK:

Quote:
As a solution, I could code one HOL data -> (file structure to be define) converter !
That's a brilliant idea. HOL is by far the most complete/up-to-date database of commercial Amiga games. I guess a lot more people would be interested in an offline version.
Old 06 January 2003, 22:52   #5
oldpx

Yes Yes...you see RCK? Offline database is as cool as an online one.

Old 10 January 2003, 23:13   #6
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Sure, there is a Genesis offline project, I believe.
Old 12 January 2003, 16:33   #7
Amiga1992

An offline jobbie wouldn't be that bad...

But don't relate it to an ADF Renamer tool :/