English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 May 2016, 22:44   #1
Locutus

P96 Licensing Status

Well.... https://mobile.twitter.com/mntmn/sta...47412744474624

That's something al right.

Whoever that is, I am sure that I will never buy anything from them ever.
Old 19 May 2016, 23:03   #2
spudje

The Amiga "community" alright.... What's new
Old 19 May 2016, 23:05   #3
Ffin

What do the message and responses say?
Old 19 May 2016, 23:26   #4
emufan

online ocr and yandex translation:

Quote:
it is important to me that You're entering into a market, I invested in the past ten years, a lot of money. You get the benefit. Say: You reap the fruits that I sowed, because without my use of it would be so many people who would be willing to money for your Amiga.
I the highest, that of the investment, something comes back. The Form In which this happens is up to You, for example
Order to production/sales - order to Design-Revision in respect of small series, and radiation optimization, adapting to the many different Iorro implementations - contract management consultancy - legalization of Your Software
the last point needs a short explanation: I am about to be the new owner of P96, what is also for sure a reason why Tobias Abt has not responded.
Since You have no valid developer license and the customer ask to use a pirated copy of P96, Your product according to EU directives already vulnerable. In the worst case of the sale of Your freshly produced cards could be illegal, And YOU just are just a naufen special waste. I don't want abs happens, but that Your product is free from defects of material And is free of legal defects.
can only think of one - remind me of the barbra streisand effect ..., does it, maybe.

After the author of this threat is fully revealed, I hope the community pulls its consequences on the basis of these facts - and kicks the money-making-machine of this dude, where it belongs.

#1) discussion on a1k - use yandex translate, works good here.
I already can read Jens and IComp

Last edited by emufan; 19 May 2016 at 23:35.
Old 19 May 2016, 23:35   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
online ocr and yandex translation:

can only think of one - remind me of the barbra streisand effect ..., does it, maybe.

After the author of this threat is fully revealed, I hope the community pulls its consequences on the basis of these facts - and kicks the money-making-machine of this dude, where it belongs.
Sounds like bollocks to me, why would anyone announce their intention to take over a product, thus enabling someone to sneak in and buy it from under them?
Old 19 May 2016, 23:37   #6
kipper2k

I am not sure how to read this, logic wise. A private Individual appears to be talking to the P96 authors in an attempt to take sole custody of the rights for P96. The original owners have previously stated that they did not want payment or mind people using the drivers for whatever reason. Gunnar did approach them to try to get licensing for the drivers and offered payment for them. It now appears this Individual is attempting to try to buy the rights. This will affect a lot of older and new hardware if the license if rigourously defended by a new owner.

It will also have the knock on affect to drive developers to design new drivers that cannot be construed as being created from the P96. May be this Individual will identify himself and let people know his plans? (The email is not a fake btw)
Old 19 May 2016, 23:39   #7
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Sounds like bollocks to me, why would anyone announce their intention to take over a product, thus enabling someone to sneak in and buy it from under them?
cannot think like that silly moron - but imagine all your investment may go down the hill, and you try to get as much back as possbible, maybe killing potential competitors this way.
I think this might be the intention of such a dude.

#1) over at a1k, you could also read about CyberGFX 68k as an alternative.
Matze, when it did translate well, was sending a card to the author of CyberGfx already.
Old 19 May 2016, 23:43   #8
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
They didn't announce it publicly, this was an email sent to mntmn, creator of the zorro FPGA graphics card. It's from Jens, and he's saying that he is the Amiga market and everyone has to give him money or he will make their life difficult.

I'm sure Jens has invested a lot of money in the Amiga, but it's extremely sad to see him attempt to control, or scare away, every bit of homebrew hardware that comes out these days (Vampire, mntmn's card, hell even a little USB-PS2 mouse adapter on another thread here).
Old 20 May 2016, 00:06   #9
emufan

nice statement by Matze a1k:
Quote:
I press both thumbs that Frank Mariak to get the CGFx GBAPII++ drivers quickly. (Hardware and all necessary information on it)

Personally, I would like to support Mntmn as far as possible, and try me so fast it goes from P96 to withdraw, if the author of the Mail takes over the licensing of p96.

*puking smiley*

Greetings Matthias
Old 20 May 2016, 00:07   #10
Cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
They didn't announce it publicly, this was an email sent to mntmn, creator of the zorro FPGA graphics card. It's from Jens, and he's saying that he is the Amiga market and everyone has to give him money or he will make their life difficult.

I'm sure Jens has invested a lot of money in the Amiga, but it's extremely sad to see him attempt to control, or scare away, every bit of homebrew hardware that comes out these days (Vampire, mntmn's card, hell even a little USB-PS2 mouse adapter on another thread here).
Both of these statements above are your own interpretations. As you donot understand enough german it is not your fault but still it is inresponsible to post this without mentioning the vague character of them.
Old 20 May 2016, 00:24   #11
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
Both of these statements above are your own interpretations. As you donot understand enough german it is not your fault but still it is inresponsible to post this without mentioning the vague character of them.
Log in to this this German read for all to be revealed. google translate or yandex translate will give a good enough translation to see what is going on

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55203
Old 20 May 2016, 00:51   #12
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
You're welcome to provide your own translation/summary as well

(mine is the result of a conversation with mntmn on IRC)
Old 20 May 2016, 01:14   #13
UberFreak

What an incredible soap opera this has become.

As a temporary solution, just put the drivers on P2P networks and remove links to them from product websites or forums.
Good luck removing anything from P2P...
Old 20 May 2016, 01:29   #14
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFreak View Post
What an incredible soap opera this has become.

As a temporary solution, just put the drivers on P2P networks and remove links to them from product websites or forums.
Good luck removing anything from P2P...
Quoting from http://aminet.net/package/driver/video/Picasso96:

"No distribution restrictions as long as the the archive is complete
and none of the files within is changed."

This means that even if the current archive is removed from Aminet, anyone is entitled to continue distributing it.

I would encourage multiple people to post the SHA1 sum of the current archive, for future verification of other sources. Here is my result:

39ef141050f88bd900653ae4702a93feee844b31 Picasso96.lha

I have uploaded the file to archive.org and it can be downloaded from https://archive.org/download/Picasso96/Picasso96.lha (they also have a page with basic metadata about the file at https://archive.org/details/Picasso96 )

Should it be removed from Aminet, the source of the redistribution permission will also disappear, so if anyone needs this in the future, see https://web.archive.org/web/20160304...ideo/Picasso96

Last edited by cmsj; 20 May 2016 at 10:38.
Old 20 May 2016, 02:03   #15
emufan

dont forget the unofficial Picasso96 2.1e.

SHA1: 99A4E8676B1F835021D359B315403D43DD75655B - Picasso96-2_1.e.zip (size: 716610)

Last edited by emufan; 20 May 2016 at 02:11.
Old 20 May 2016, 11:01   #16
Locutus

I noticed that the twitter message was deleted, which sucks. So for anyone who still wants to read it:

https://locutus.puscii.nl/files/P96_WTF.jpg
Old 20 May 2016, 11:08   #17
roomeo

slightly off topic, but those translations from german to english/norwegian are really tiresome to read.
Old 20 May 2016, 11:47   #18
vulture

Surely, the old P96 archive with its original license scheme can still be used and distributed even if someone else buys its rights?

Last edited by vulture; 20 May 2016 at 12:11.
Old 20 May 2016, 12:14   #19
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Absolutely. Plus the old licensing scheme has not been enforced for 20 years. Do you see ATI paying the license when they sell (sold) Radeon PCI cards which had Amiga drivers? Nope

Sell your new Amiga gfx card product with a full hardware reference manual, but no driver. Include enough information for anyone to develop a driver.

Then let "the community" develop a driver for it

Job done.
Old 20 May 2016, 12:16   #20
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Surely, the old P96 archive with its license scheme can still be used even if someone else buys its rights?
Even if it could, it would still mean no new drivers could be developed from it, only what already exists legally.
The new FPGA boards that are out and coming out would not be permitted to use P96 without being held hostage, neither would any new graphics board.
It would mean the end of P96 anyway as the relevant folk are already looking into CyberGFX as a alternative in case this happens.