English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 22 September 2010, 15:25   #61
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
Wow you own a SAM Whoop de do dah! big deal.
hey that's great for you so please keep on using the latest PC and Vista etc......I've used and assembled/configured hundreds of win boxes and I honestly can say the newest PC that comes out every month is not a big deal at all for me personally
Old 22 September 2010, 15:57   #62
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
hey that's great for you so please keep on using the latest PC and Vista etc......I've used and assembled/configured hundreds of win boxes and I honestly can say the newest PC that comes out every month is not a big deal at all for me personally
I too have built at least 50 PC's from scratch and fixed at least 100 friends and neighbours laptops and PC's, some physically damaged and on others re-installing or upgrading the systems or getting rid of spyware and viruses.

Anyone who follows the must have new whatever fad as in your comment about what comes out every month etc, has more money than sense in my opinion. Having said that, my opinion of a computer like your Amiga having to use an emulator to work like a real Amiga is that it is a pretty stupid thing to have to do.

A cheap and cheerful Laptop or PC can do that and also allow you to use several flavours of Linux (some versions can also run an Amiga emulator). So apart from the price tag, what is it that makes a SAM so special compared to the average run of the mill PC?
Old 22 September 2010, 18:01   #63
klx300r

@ Allen1

well for one, as you mentioned, I don't have to worry about this spyware/virus crap and having to reformat my HD every 2 months.

Two, I despise having to wait 5 bloody minutes to do anything on a 3+GHz PC..I boot up and am working under AmigaOS in less than 25 seconds!!!

Three, Blender on my 800Mhz system is snappier to work on compared to my friends 2 GHz PC (of course though rendering times are quicker on the PC)

& mainly,

Three, AmigaOS is my preferred OS for reasons we all know
Old 22 September 2010, 19:01   #64
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
@ Allen1

well for one, as you mentioned, I don't have to worry about this spyware/virus crap and having to reformat my HD every 2 months.

Two, I despise having to wait 5 bloody minutes to do anything on a 3+GHz PC..I boot up and am working under AmigaOS in less than 25 seconds!!!

Three, Blender on my 800Mhz system is snappier to work on compared to my friends 2 GHz PC (of course though rendering times are quicker on the PC)

& mainly,

Three, AmigaOS is my preferred OS for reasons we all know
And ???

Just because some folk are not up to speed on how to avoid the latest spyware or virus does not mean that they need to format the hard drive all the time. Most people who do computer repairs and build their own, generally know how to get rid of any pests and only resort to formatting as the last resort. If your PC is that slow, you have some serious problems going on there, maybe its time to see what Linux can do for you both speed-wise and virus-wise.

As far as your preference to 'AmigaOS', well that's something you have to live with. Hopefully some day you might have an operating system that is worth having, until then keep adding 3rd party apps to make it work as it should have done in the first place. I suppose that's one thing your operating system and Windows have in common, nothing to brag about on either system really.
Old 22 September 2010, 19:21   #65
Graham Humphrey

Guys can we not just respect the choice of computer/OS each person chooses to use. Life's too short to argue about such stupid things and I find it embarrassing to be quite honest (and why was such an old, dead thread resurrected in the first place?). Surely what counts is that you're happy with what you've got and sod everything else.
Old 22 September 2010, 19:46   #66
frank_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
LOL @ klx300r

You'll wake up the anti modern Amiga lobby group

I tell ya, the X1000 is just round the corner
The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. Good luck anyway and have fun.
Old 22 September 2010, 20:37   #67
Allen1

Graham, I think you are maybe seeing a bit more into this than there actually is or maybe you are just trying to calm things down just in case.

Realistically though no one is really that concerned about someone else's choice of hardware or system choice, its good to have a variety and just as good to take the mick out of each other about their systems pro's and con's just about every post is more tongue in cheek than anything else and the recipients are just as good at replying
Old 22 September 2010, 22:48   #68
Paul_s

FFS, Someone fire up the Delorean, I'm going back to July 24, 1985 at the Lincoln Center in New York City... time, 6PM precisely
Old 22 September 2010, 23:17   #69
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
FFS, Someone fire up the Delorean, I'm going back to July 24, 1985 at the Lincoln Center in New York City... time, 6PM precisely
Dibs on shotgun, .

Oh, lets make sure we take an A1200 and CD32 back with us, lol.
Old 23 September 2010, 05:26   #70
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
my opinion of a computer like your Amiga having to use an emulator to work like a real Amiga is that it is a pretty stupid thing to have to do.
It's not really an Amiga if it has to emulate an Amiga to run actual Amiga software, is it now
Old 23 September 2010, 05:50   #71
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
dude, let's go!...got my pretty in pink sound track tape cassette
Old 23 September 2010, 05:55   #72
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
It's not really an Amiga if it has to emulate an Amiga to run actual Amiga software, is it now
c'mon now so Windows 7 is not really Windows because it can't run Windows 3.1 programs

go on over to os4depot and see that there are all kinds of programs that require a MINIMUM of AmigaOS4.x to run...the fact we can even run Classic stuff on newer AmigaOS machines is pretty cool and makes us alot better off than modern Windows users trying to load up 20 year old software
Old 23 September 2010, 07:30   #73
ChrisUnionNJ
Amibay Mod/Staff

For me it's all about the money it cost way to much..

Hyperion Entertainment could have made more money if they made it work on a mac G3's ton of cheap units to buy out there I would buy the OS
in a heart beat if I could get it to install on my Mac mini that I paid $250 for
1ghz 1 gig mem 120gig hd..

Chris
Old 23 September 2010, 08:02   #74
Slayer
Amiga Member

Like I keep saying, you guys are all crazy...

Here are the facts.

I've owned an Amiga since 1986, I own a number of older Amiga systems, I've never owned anything but an Amiga and I've never stopped using an Amiga at home... I only just recently moved to a modern Amiga when the SAMs were released... I can hardly be called some Amiga fanboy since to me I'm just using the same computer and os I've always used for the last 25 years... alot of you members on here are no where near the same history as I am... this doesn't make you stupid it just explains your different perspective...

The Amiga had to evolve and the real AmigaOS and Hardware solution is giving us again the choice to remain seperate (and this is a great thing!) if you want your damn cheap components etc then run AROS or MorphOS... I certainly don't want the real AmigaOS just to be another portable freaking Operating System...

AmigaOS4.x is simply amazing and it always will be...
Old 23 September 2010, 08:44   #75
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
There are no modern Amigas (except perhaps the minimig).
You in particular always seem to stand by this declaration... but it is seriously flawed... how much do you think the IBM componentry has changed from say the 286, what core components do you think were in that design that should have remained are in the moderm PC now?

Would it make you feel better if the Amiga had not come to a stand still and over the years the chips and direction of the Amiga Hardware gradually phased out these items you dearly cling too... see my point?

It would have happened theres no doubt about it... to protest against this is idealism based on a stationary belief and no doubt a personal choice...

The A500 etc has its place just like the SAM and the X1000...

Just like say the 386 and the modern IBM...

I think alot of you people are simply game players and possibly emulation types who have become interested in the real Amiga hardware, and there is nothing wrong with this but it just explains the mentality, and alot frown upon the modern solution simply because of price and it offers nothing for you!

Where as I am interested in the AmigaOS and using it as a complete computer... I'm not interested in games aside from compiling mud codebases which is a form of game?... AmigaOS is a dream OS, it doesn't hinder you or get in your way and it is snappy etc and that isn't due to excessive ram speed or cpu speed but based on OS design parameters

And like before if things don't go my way and there is a halt in Hardware solutions, I'll simply stay using whatever is last released and still be VERY happy too...

Old 23 September 2010, 08:55   #76
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Like I keep saying, you guys are all crazy...
No you
Doesn't matter, does it? Whoever wants to use OS 4.x and a SAM should do. If people are looking forward to X1000 or Natami that's fine for them. Don't think we need any 'missionary' work on either side. Also if AmigaOS 4 is still 'Amiga' or not is a tedious discussion. It evolved from the 'classic' AmigaOS, so it is an Amiga OS (pun intended ).
Old 23 September 2010, 09:06   #77
Slayer
Amiga Member

btw,

I just brought 2 of these packs last night

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/X...tbook/3067066/

and I don't even like beat'em'ups

I just thought it was a good time (while the price was down) to get two of these controllers

It's just an example of a waste of money, perhaps you people can identify examples of wasting money in your life... I guarantee most of you have some and I can safely say buying a modern AmigaOS Hardware solution is NOT a waste of money but a start to an enjoyable daily computer experience! Yeah-Hah! ;-)
Old 23 September 2010, 09:27   #78
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
No you
Doesn't matter, does it? Whoever wants to use OS 4.x and a SAM should do. If people are looking forward to X1000 or Natami that's fine for them. Don't think we need any 'missionary' work on either side. Also if AmigaOS 4 is still 'Amiga' or not is a tedious discussion. It evolved from the 'classic' AmigaOS, so it is an Amiga OS (pun intended ).

The problem is on the other side of the fence you have people arguing against the modern Hardware that never really had any Passion for the Amiga Platform in the first place...

So instead of having this huge void only filled with PRO Amiga individuals (because everyone else has moved on) jumping on the band wagon! You get all these over factions from different backgrounds making all this negative noise! And it's noise the SAMs and X1000s can do without, why worry about pointing out the price OR the lack of power compared too XX machine, do you think people are stupid and will buy something they do not want?

That is why I stopped posting about it, because it keeps this other noise down too... no one wants to hear any type of OS fan boy right? Which is quite sad but only as far as the Amiga is concerned because this is one platform that can conjure real passion...

It's real Pride not unlike a country gets behind there national sport (funnily enough though, I don't ) not like techno-junkies arguing about specs...

If you want something to happen you have to get involved or at least just leave it alone... That is why I say alot of you are crazy... just leave it alone

be happy you haven't got the bug as you would put it but I can gaurantee yet again that there is something else going on somewhere else in your life that would suffer the same scrutiny if placed out in public for all of us to examine...
Old 23 September 2010, 09:39   #79
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

This 'keeping this other noise down' thingy always showed me a lack of confidence. I don't have a problem to discuss the choice of my hardware or OS, neither should you Slayer. Well, I don't feel the need to anyway. If you post about a new Windows you get all the Linux fanbois jumping on the train. If you post about a new Linux distro or GUI you get all the 'pointless' posts from people who won't use it. Nothing really special
Old 23 September 2010, 10:38   #80
Slayer
Amiga Member

I understand what you're saying but I hardly think AmigaOS4 needs confidence. In the big picture I enjoy the fact that people are into there own thing, I laugh about it to myself when I shut the door of my house everyday. The way some people choose to live life is again, that word, crazy. What you say would be fine in an ideal world were people were fair and used comnon sense.

Unfortunately we live in a very different world and like it or not but people need control.

There is too much choice and too much freedom OR the human race hasn't matured enough to benefit from this situation.

peace brother TheCyberDruid :-D