English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 November 2009, 12:32   #41
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
I thin kthis is a crazy thread.

WTH would you want to load from floppies. Now we have had a taste for CF HDD, I would rather stamp on the floppies and set them alight, .
Old 24 November 2009, 03:43   #42
Titler
Zone Friend

I don't know, I never had anything but floppies back in the day of course; but all this WHLoad stuff? I don't even know what it is... I just load from disc once in WinUAE, and if it's too tedious to do more than once (uncracked copy protection say), I just make a Save State at the title screen. If I want to save Highscores, I just go back to the Title Screen at the end of a game, and update the state again.
But mid game disc swaps? I still kind of like them, as you often would see new loading screens or content, but mostly I remember them fondly because they maintain a more dramatic flow of time... You actually knew something different was coming up, because you physically had to change the media to prepare for it. At the very least, it was a good excuse to give your eyes the recommended rest. And modern gaming, for all it's flash and power, has lost that tactile involvement for the player... these days, you're lucky if you even get a physical manual in the box (and if you do, it's usually mostly full of legal jargon explaining how ultimately you don't really own the software) much less the little goodies and posters that used to come with a game. And once it's on your hard drive, you have no connection to the world of the game except as it appears on your screen; no loading noise, no little blinking lights that tell you it's interacting with your computer unless you get a special case... And you know, for all the criticism of the Wii, I have to admit it's done something wonderful in giving people a sense of actual physical involvement in gaming again; with it's ridiculous controllers is at least something more than a dull box that sits behind the monitor or under the table whilst you sit and ossify in front of it. Sometimes, less can indeed be more methinks.
Old 24 November 2009, 17:23   #43
ancalimon
Supernormal

Monkey Island 2 and Indy 4.

Playing from floppies added much to the atmosphere.
Old 24 November 2009, 17:32   #44
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
Monkey Island 2 and Indy 4.

Playing from floppies added much to the atmosphere.
I really hope that's a joke...
Old 24 November 2009, 17:47   #45
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Me too.
Old 24 November 2009, 17:49   #46
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Only thing I miss from floppies is seeing cracktros, other than that, good riddance to the damned things.

When I cracked Pinball Prelude for Fairlight, I had to go through 5 disks before I could get one that was reliable enough to create one of the disks for the game.
Old 24 November 2009, 17:53   #47
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I really hope that's a joke...
I actually finished them several times from floppies. Somehow the games seemed bigger when I played from floppies. :P
Old 24 November 2009, 17:56   #48
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Maybe longer is more like it
Old 24 November 2009, 18:48   #49
Eclipse
Turpentine

I can understand installing MI onto the HD from it's own installer, but not floppies. I used to own MI2 and installed it onto the 600's HD years back rather than play from floppies.
Old 24 November 2009, 19:00   #50
jotd
This cat is no more

For some games, it could be faster to switch on the old A500, insert the disk, and play, than to wait for the full Amiga OS to bootup and then run WHDLoad.

but this is true for only a few games. Ever played Moktar/Titus the fox from floppy ?
1 disk, but so sloooooow loading times. Must have used 1-by-1 unbuffered byte read from files of 10 bytes each to achieve such bad speed.
Old 24 November 2009, 19:03   #51
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
but this is true for only a few games. Ever played Moktar/Titus the fox from floppy ?
1 disk, but so sloooooow loading times. Must have used 1-by-1 unbuffered byte read from files of 10 bytes each to achieve such bad speed.
Even worse than Castlevania? I could make and eat my lunch while that game was booting.
Old 24 November 2009, 19:14   #52
Jonathan Drain

One game I don't miss playing on floppy is King's Quest VI. Once I entered an area, switched disks, and it took so long to load I forgot which direction I came from and went back to the previous screen, more disk-switching. Of course then I went the way I wanted in the first place, switching disks again.

Of course I had a hard drive, but you had to make some sacrifices when you only had a 20MB hard drive. KQ6 was ten disks!
Old 24 November 2009, 21:16   #53
jotd
This cat is no more

most of the DOS compatible games were horrible from floppy. Sometimes they weren't even HD installable because of disk protections, or DF0: assigns hardcoded in the executable.
The floppy games with acceptable waits all had trackloading systems to load faster and skip DOS routines (that was before (not so) FastFileSystem)
Old 24 November 2009, 21:23   #54
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
For some games, it could be faster to switch on the old A500, insert the disk, and play, than to wait for the full Amiga OS to bootup and then run WHDLoad.
Accelerated Amigas, such as '030, can boot from cold in about 15 seconds, and warm in 10. If you use a very plain WB, then these times will easily be 5 seconds less. If you have the registered version of WHDLoad then this is going to be very hard to beat.
Old 24 November 2009, 21:28   #55
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Super Wonder Boy use to takes Ages! from floppy disk.
Old 24 November 2009, 21:31   #56
radon_22

I remember being unbelievably impressed with the speed at which my Amiga loaded games from a floppy, especially after upgrading from a C64 with the 1541 drive.

How things change, eh?
Old 25 November 2009, 10:32   #57
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I went from C64 tapes to the Amiga. I still don't have a problem with Amiga load times, it's just multiple disk swapping that was a pain in the arse.
Old 25 November 2009, 10:32   #58
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by radon_22 View Post
I remember being unbelievably impressed with the speed at which my Amiga loaded games from a floppy, especially after upgrading from a C64 with the 1541 drive.

How things change, eh?
Indeed. I moved to my Amiga (A600) directly from C64 with tape deck!