English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 01 October 2018, 15:09   #21
1time
Amiga Lover

Why all the drama?

If you dont trust it, dont buy it, simple as that!

It is wonderful that someone finally does a 040!
Old 01 October 2018, 15:32   #22
lord of time
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
Why all the drama?

also this... its amazing to see such clever people comming up with all these new things.
Old 01 October 2018, 20:40   #23
Sim085

I am basing this on the image in post 15;

From what I can see this card will have an 040 processor, real time clock, cf card holder, sd card holder, wifi, and retargetable graphics ...

Is this all correct?
Old 01 October 2018, 20:49   #24
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of time View Post
the issue with the supply of legitimate Motorola CPU's is exactly what you have stated - lack of consistency!!! This is why FPGA based devices are the way forward!!! I would like to see somebody build an interface for a TerribleFire or Furia card that allows a FPGA dev board to sit in the cpu socket running a basic 68020 or 68030 CPU core... they already exisit in devices the MIST and MISTER. I think that future homebrew type accelorators could be designed with the FPGA devboard connection from the start... just spit balling but thats my 2 pennys worth!
I agree that replacing the CPU's themselves with FPGA's is the way forward for those who want accelerators as opposed to the vamp, etc. It's whether or not an opensource implementation of any of the 68k line exists, and how hard it would be to implement that if not. I honestly have no information on this, but its an interesting take for sure.
Old 01 October 2018, 20:53   #25
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
Why all the drama?

Granted, the drama isn't with this board in particular - it's about the current state of the accelerator market and what happens when things go wrong.

Wait until you buy an accelerator, it arrives broken, and then the RMA process that should involve a simple return to the vendor becomes a 'send it to the supplier' - a guy in Poland who puts these things together in his garage, and whom I know nothing about. (i'm sure he's a great guy, i'm not judging people here, i'm judging processes).

If everything goes well, and you buy your accelerator and you're happy with it, then thats great. But unless its from an established company - and i really do mean a real company - or unless its opensource, you're pretty screwed. Ask the plethora of Furia users who have barely or completely unstable boards lying around for reasons unknown.

But you're right - it isn't about this card in particular, and i'm sure its great, and i wish the designers the best of luck - they're clearly very talented!

John
Old 01 October 2018, 22:43   #26
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim085 View Post
I am basing this on the image in post 15;

From what I can see this card will have an 040 processor, real time clock, cf card holder, sd card holder, wifi, and retargetable graphics ...

Is this all correct?
That's the plan, first prototypes was built for A500, however final card will be redesigned to make it more universal ( this will not fit A1000 unless You remove internal floppy, just like Derringer 030 card), but should be usable in A2000 for example
Old 02 October 2018, 20:53   #27
FeRu

Seriously??? This is one of the most advanced and promising project since Vampire,.
and I see so much negative opinions or some trash speaking like discussion about CE logo....
This was also suprise for PPA users,because project came suddenly, but this is not fake,and definitely not a joke.
Team is very experienced with electronics and programming and they now how enter Amiga accelerators in XXI century.
This is not typical card with CPU and Fastram but very complex piece of hardware with many features from Big Box Amiga like RTG,mp3 decoder,Wifi,CF and SD slot,stereo sampler,MPG hardware decoder,very fast memory and access to memory,UEXT port,USB.aand few more nice features.....
So everyone please keep crossed fingers,and be patient.
If someone have good programing knowlege,he should contact with the team and help them enable features faster,or maybe add something new.
Cheers

Old 03 October 2018, 04:38   #28
grelbfarlk

Very cool project, I hope it works out.
Old 03 October 2018, 11:21   #29
AJCopland

It looks like a very cool project
Old 03 October 2018, 15:59   #30
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRu View Post
Seriously??? This is one of the most advanced and promising project since Vampire,.
and I see so much negative opinions or some trash speaking like discussion about CE logo....
This was also suprise for PPA users,because project came suddenly, but this is not fake,and definitely not a joke.
Team is very experienced with electronics and programming and they now how enter Amiga accelerators in XXI century.
This is not typical card with CPU and Fastram but very complex piece of hardware with many features from Big Box Amiga like RTG,mp3 decoder,Wifi,CF and SD slot,stereo sampler,MPG hardware decoder,very fast memory and access to memory,UEXT port,USB.aand few more nice features.....
So everyone please keep crossed fingers,and be patient.
If someone have good programing knowlege,he should contact with the team and help them enable features faster,or maybe add something new.
Cheers
To be honest, i think the language barrier causes a lot of issues here between East and West Europeans and whatever boards they frequent and in whatever language.

That isn't a slur, by the way; far from it.

See it from our perspective - all we get is a picture of a prototype board with an 040, and a link to a forum mostly (All?) in Polish.

Unfortunately, i think that this adds to tensions, and to the intensity of the critiques.

John

EDIT: I notice on your own forum you are also talking about the discussions here. Except over there I read talk of jealousy, laughing at us, having a pain in our a$$, and something about blackmailing?!

Have any of us resorted to such childishness? Any of us? Unbelievable.

Last edited by project23; 03 October 2018 at 16:09.
Old 03 October 2018, 16:25   #31
project23
Used Register

For the benefit of non-polish speakers - this is the google translate of FeRu's last couple messages from the Polish form:

Quote:
In short, jealousy is eating them up, that the guys with their heads on their necks invented a 21st century accelerator for Amiga. The Wicher himself showed that even the usual 68,000 can squeeze the last juices, and here it promises to be a tornado with EF5 strength.
I wish that the software issues could be fine-tuned and that Vampire will have very strong competition.
Quote:
I decided to culturally calm their fears about the CE logo.
Seriously, they are surprised by such an approach to the matter, it is not a project from Mr. Salvadore Phake5. MASSES WERE NOT to give such opinions.
But as with the Enigma, many other things that the countrymen developed and then the rest of the world attributed merit, or ridiculed the product by making a copy and calling their own project .... For almost 100 years, little has changed.
Oh and that's just him - there are worse, it's just that he's the guy who posted here.

I actually thought his registering here to make a really rather balanced and resolute post was admirable, but clearly now we see what's going on at the other end.

I'll say this again - i have no problem with this new accelerator, i'm sure its great.

The problems I have had are genuine problems with the way business is done around these new accelerator boards and how they are manufactured, sold, and most importantly the aftercare and attitude towards those with issues. These problems are real, and they are not personal. On EAB I see people conducting themselves rationally about rational issues. That's more than can be said for the thread I just quoted from.

Thanks for your understanding

John

Last edited by project23; 03 October 2018 at 16:31.
Old 03 October 2018, 21:30   #32
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
What I want to know is how these things get CE marked when they’re prototypes
Would this not come under the self-certification rules?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking
Old 03 October 2018, 22:11   #33
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Would this not come under the self-certification rules?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking
Requires EMC testing. No way round that.
Old 04 October 2018, 08:27   #34
TjLaZer

Excellent news for 500/2000 users! Finally an 040 card. Tired of all the 030 cards in 2015+
Old 04 October 2018, 08:55   #35
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Excellent news for 500/2000 users! Finally an 040 card. Tired of all the 030 cards in 2015+

Cool. If your tired of all our hard work don’t complain when we stop bothering.
Old 04 October 2018, 09:05   #36
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Cool. If your tired of all our hard work don’t complain when we stop bothering.
Take it on the chin, mate - there's plenty of us on the opensource side of the fence, we're all appreciative, and it looks to me like we handle ourselves better when it comes to discussions. Camaraderie, ya know?
Old 04 October 2018, 09:12   #37
plasmab
Banned

CS540 accelerator

I’ve no idea what you mean by that comment. A snide remark about me no longer open sourcing? TBH I’m no longer making anything to open up anyways. My enthusiasm for Amiga has been completely wiped out by people who are tired of me giving them stuff for free.

EDIT: apologies if that’s not what you meant. It’s just how I read it

Last edited by plasmab; 04 October 2018 at 09:17.
Old 04 October 2018, 09:28   #38
plasmab
Banned

Anyways this is a cool project. A bit over complex for my tastes. I’d have built it simpler and smaller. Nice job though guys
Old 04 October 2018, 09:37   #39
project23
Used Register

Quote:
I’ve no idea what you mean by that comment. A snide remark about me no longer open sourcing? TBH I’m no longer making anything to open up anyways. My enthusiasm for Amiga has been completely wiped out by people who are tired of me giving them stuff for free.

EDIT: apologies if that’s not what you meant. It’s just how I read it
Erm... yeah you've taken that completely out of context.

I was trying to support you. I have multiple times in this thread and others.

To be honest I really don't know how else you could have interpreted my comment. The TF530 is open source. I support the opensource community. I believe that it is good for the Amiga.

Frankly how you've read that any other way is beyond me?

Pretty dumbfounded here.

John
Old 04 October 2018, 09:43   #40
plasmab
Banned

I dont open source anymore. So it was the "there's plenty of us on the opensource side of the fence" bit that confused me (and i'm only on my first coffee of the day). There has been a good bit of backlash from me stopping open sourcing... with some thinking that i've now got a working 060 accelerator for all amiga models that i'm just refusing to share with them.

TBH the not open sourcing has just made me down tools and concentrate on other things.

Apologies for the confusion.