English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 March 2019, 12:46   #1
snikt!

Joystick mapped to keys AND typing ingame possible?

Hi!

I have winUAE on my arcade cabinet. The joysticks send keys (via an ultimarc ipac) to the computer. That works fine, so far. The problem is, that the letters that are alligned to the joystick movements are not longer available for the keyboard. How are you guys deal with that when playing games that have a joystick AND keyboard input?

Is there a way to use the full keyboard when holding "fn" or something similar? I have two joysticks, where the first one uses the arrow keys and a letter for the button and the second one uses 4 letters for joy and one letter for the button, so my keyboard lacks 6 letters. If there´s no solution here, maybe I have to remap them to different keys, but that could cause problems in other emulators . Does anyone here uses hyperspin and rocketlauncher as I do? How are you handling that?

Regards,
snikt!
Old 28 March 2019, 14:31   #2
Solo Kazuki

Why you not use normal USB (or other similar) controllers instead?

For me it's weird using key2joy emulation, while every (AFAIK) emulator for Windows can use normal controllers.
Old 28 March 2019, 20:36   #3
snikt!

Because I have an arcade cabinet and since the Amiga only uses a joystick and a button for many games that system would fit for the installed (keybound) joysticks. I do have xbox-controller but that’s not the question.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 29 March 2019, 19:16   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You could use another USB keyboard and use another as a keyboard and other as a joystick
Old 29 March 2019, 19:44   #5
snikt!

Mmh, I think I don’t quite understand what you suggest. If I’d use an additional keyboard what would be the difference? My Joysticks are plugged in an ipac, which works like a keyboard. If I press a Button, the ipac sends an “H” to the emulator which understands it as “firebutton”. If I press the “H” on the keyboard the emulator also get the order to fire, the same on a “third” keyboard. If I want to write a word containing an “H” the emulator would get all keys except the “H” because he would interpret it as “firebutton”.

I think I have to change the keys on the ipac. But since I have two joysticks and 16 Buttons it will be hard to only use keys besides letters and fit all emulators I use.

Old 29 March 2019, 20:27   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You can remap (Input panel) same key in different keyboards to different events.
Old 29 March 2019, 20:31   #7
snikt!

No way! Really? That would be a simple, elegant solution. I have to google that and give it a try. Thanks in advance, I will write back if it worked in the next days.

Old 31 March 2019, 14:16   #8
snikt!

It seems that it only works in Windows 10, I’m using Win 7. There’s an ipac update to change the ouputs from keyboard to controller, but my ipac‘s too old I have to think about that problem. Either I have to reprogram my ipac, buy a new one or someone has a better solution. Thanks for the help.

Old 31 March 2019, 15:05   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It should have worked at least since Vista, possibly since XP. As long as device is USB. PS/2 keyboards don't have unique keyboard identifiers.

Because default mode uses virtual "WinUAE keyboard" (all physical keyboard devices are mapped to same virtual keyboard), it is quite complex to configure it for multiple keyboards.

First unmap all keys used by joystick from WinUAE keyboard.
Then select "game controller" keyboard and map keys to Amiga joystick directions. (Easiest way probably is to check WinUAE input device list with and without it connected)
And finally select "normal keyboard" and map same keys to Amiga keyboard.
Old 31 March 2019, 15:36   #10
snikt!

Okay, I will try in the next days. I will tell you if it works out. Could take a week. Thanks.

Old 11 April 2019, 19:03   #11
snikt!

Hi! I haven’t had time to give it a try yet and I‘m on vacation for the next two weeks now, but I will tell if it works when I‘m back. I have a ps2-keyboard installed in my cabinet, so I have to change it with an usb device. To test it I will use a wireless usb keyboard and my usb ipac. I will report

Old 12 April 2019, 07:24   #12
snikt!

Hi again. Can you tell me if an ps2 to usb adaptor would work? Thanks.