English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 04 January 2016, 20:59   #21
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
yep alien breed 3d2 is slow even on a 060

the best way to play this game is using winuae and a fast PC, gives 39 fps constant, the maximum this engine do
It's true that it was slow on 060 - but still playable for the most part.
Almost immediately after release, there was a patch from Aki Laukkanen that replaced the c2p engine making it more playable.

I remember some level with open areas and 3d enemies (wasps, was it?) that killed the framerate though.. Wonder what system Andy Clitheroe was testing the game on? ;-)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 January 2016, 21:52   #22
nujack
Zone Friend

Indeed the Odamex port is great. I tried it out under MorphOS but there are still some bugs and it seems development has stopped.
But don't forget the AB3D-ports by John Girvin http://girv.net/blog/2009/alien-breed-3d.html
The AB3D-RTG port sounds great and can maybe developed further/fixed? Would be cool to try out this port to understand what are the improvements and if it makes sense to develop further.
Old 05 January 2016, 14:11   #23
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
It's true that it was slow on 060 - but still playable for the most part.
Almost immediately after release, there was a patch from Aki Laukkanen that replaced the c2p engine making it more playable.

I remember some level with open areas and 3d enemies (wasps, was it?) that killed the framerate though.. Wonder what system Andy Clitheroe was testing the game on? ;-)
the AB3D2 patch only work on the original game (original .exe), not works on cracked versions so I could never see any speed improvement because I don't had the original game

back to 1996 surely Andy Clitheroe was testing this on a 040 or a 060,anyways for developers to test this game ,they don't need a full screen 1x1, they can't test it in the small screen which is far smooth

on the other way to play this game I recommend the whdload version last patch 1.2a which allow to play this game like a modern PC FPS game (mouse+ keyboard)

Last edited by Sandro; 05 January 2016 at 14:17.
Old 05 January 2016, 14:57   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

There was an RTG patch for AB3D-II using RTGMaster but AFAIR it could be difficult to set up and was unstable on some systems. However id did have quite a performance advantage over AGA.

Also someone re-skinned AB3D-II a few years ago and it did have quite an effect on the visuals

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthre...964#post591964

Last edited by alexh; 05 January 2016 at 15:05.
Old 05 January 2016, 20:14   #25
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
the AB3D2 patch only work on the original game (original .exe), not works on cracked versions so I could never see any speed improvement because I don't had the original game

back to 1996 surely Andy Clitheroe was testing this on a 040 or a 060,anyways for developers to test this game ,they don't need a full screen 1x1, they can't test it in the small screen which is far smooth

on the other way to play this game I recommend the whdload version last patch 1.2a which allow to play this game like a modern PC FPS game (mouse+ keyboard)
I haven't really played it since way back when it was released, I did finish it then though (and yes, it was original, not cracked), but I'm tempted to replay it on the Vampire v2 when it gets AGA support ;-) Maybe that will be the Amiga hardware that will finally make it smooth in 1x1
Old 05 January 2016, 23:04   #26
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
There was an RTG patch for AB3D-II using RTGMaster but AFAIR it could be difficult to set up and was unstable on some systems. However id did have quite a performance advantage over AGA.

Also someone re-skinned AB3D-II a few years ago and it did have quite an effect on the visuals

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthre...964#post591964
such patch is very very buggy, or maybe is a joke done by a troll
the game crash after 2 or 3 mins of gameplay
delete the link please
AdSense AdSense