English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

View Poll Results: Which Languages sub-forums would you like?
C/C++ 44 63.77%
AMOS 24 34.78%
Blitz Basic 25 36.23%
E 11 15.94%
Scripting languages 12 17.39%
Pascal/Modula/Oberon 5 7.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01 October 2011, 16:51   #1
Photon

Poll: what language forums do you want in the Languages forum?

This is about high-level languages. Likely C and AMOS will be popular, but I'll create forums for all languages as soon as they get more than a few votes.

It's multiple choice, and if a language is not in the poll you can suggest it here and I will add it to the poll.

Last edited by Photon; 01 October 2011 at 22:22.
Old 01 October 2011, 17:53   #2
Leffmann

I'm actually for a single forum without any sub-forums, there are just so few posts here that with 5+ sub-forums it looks thin and spread out, but if there are to be one for high-level languages then I guess one for each language makes sense so I'll vote for all of them. I'm assuming BBasic is Blitz Basic?
Old 01 October 2011, 23:08   #3
Photon

I agree the forum isn't brimming with activity, but I don't think that structuring it up a bit to make it like the other forums will make it less active. Who knows, maybe learners and experts alike will find a place to 'hang' (ie. subscribe) and will find it more meaningful to get active. I for example have already subscribed to Asm/Hardware I think Coder's Tutorials was a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I'm assuming BBasic is Blitz Basic?
Hehe... I got the impression from TheDarkCoder that it was an accepted short form, I'll change it to make it clear.

Last edited by Photon; 01 October 2011 at 23:32.
Old 01 October 2011, 23:44   #4
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

I think structuring the sub-forums would certainly make it easier to find posts relating to specific languages.
I assumed BBasic was Blitz Basic too, but having never used it (I'm more a fan of AMOS) I have no idea whether it's accepted abbreviation or not.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 02 October 2011, 00:00   #5
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

What about AmigaDOS as a Language? Surely that qualifies as a language? I am interested in learning to code scripts Using AmigaDOS command line.
Old 02 October 2011, 14:28   #6
daxb

If you add AmigaDOS as language then you have to add all the other (ARexx, Python, ...) script languages too. I would vote for one sub-forum for this kind of.
Old 02 October 2011, 18:14   #7
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

I agree, this would be usful for ppl who want to learn script coding at the DOS level.
Old 02 October 2011, 20:20   #8
TheDarkCoder

It would be wonderful if there were people using Pascal or Modula2 or Oberon with Amiga, aiming to give hints to those like me who would like to learn such languages.
But, realistically, do those people exist?

From a practical point of view, I vote for some scripting languages forum too, I sometimes need advice on scripting

Last edited by TheDarkCoder; 02 October 2011 at 20:22. Reason: added vote for scripting
Old 03 October 2011, 23:20   #9
Photon

Options added.

HOWEVER, after this sinking in a bit I think I'm coming around a bit to Leffman's point. If we had something like a total 15 forums where there used to be one, there's bound to be forums where the generally interested (or programmers, but interested in other languages only) will not bother to go, and that would be a shame.

I think the Languages forum is excellent for not getting the how to questions mixed in with others, and Releases could be a better way to get attention/feedback for a finished project!

I think Coder's Tutorials with so much asm in it would be a great companion to getting started-stickies in the asm/hw forum, moving nice tutorials for languages perhaps as stickies in the Languages subforums.

The Languages main forum could have general how to questions and questions in more unusual languages, and I could still stick with the idea of creating selected forums for the languages that get a decent amount of votes. If you want to push for your language, get some friends in here to vote just keep it sincere, ie. the voters would really like and use such a forum.

I would like C/C++ and AMOS to have subforums mainly based on the number of projects I see that use them, and an AmigaDOS sticky, and the other languages would be in the main Languages forum. Just to keep it down a bit. I love Pascal and Python, but I fear they'd be idle.

AmigaDOS and Arexx are not really used 'to write software' and there aren't really any clever algorithms etc to share, it's more a matter of looking up a command syntax and knowing the general application to the DOS so I think a sticky with resources would do nicely for many.
Old 06 October 2011, 23:19   #10
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafDaz View Post
What about AmigaDOS as a Language? Surely that qualifies as a language? I am interested in learning to code scripts Using AmigaDOS command line.
Surely AmigaDOS belongs as part of the Coders.System forum?

I'm not sure I'd class it as a language as such either, but that's just me.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 07 October 2011, 00:04   #11
Photon

Then we're on the same page I think

Still thinking about making it a separate forum or not... if you have a good example/reason why, convince me
Old 28 October 2011, 01:23   #12
NovaCoder

I'm thinking C/C++, Assembler and Other (which would cover AMOS, Blitz etc).

You might also want to split between Classic and next gen (next gen would cover OS4, AROS and MorphOS). Of course most of us here are more into classics but it still might be worth doing.

With UtilityBase offline (probably for good) we need a decent place on the web to share ideas and get help so I'm all for this idea.
Old 28 October 2011, 21:12   #13
Photon

Yeah, although we suffer the same 'amount of activity' issues as other home computer platforms it makes sense to have it on a generally active established forum rather than starting a site specifically for it.

I'm all for a separate forum for non-classic. Wish RCK would be more active so my suggested changes from the responses here could be enacted then I'd suggest the non-classic forum as well. I think efforts to make a legacy continuance of 3.1 on 68000 could still be in classic.
Old 29 October 2011, 19:31   #14
roy bates

hi photon,will there be a forum for assembly,if there is already then sorry.

ide like to see some c/c++, bbasic, pascal, e.

something to read late at night.havent done this for years.
Old 30 October 2011, 02:34   #15
Photon

The asm/hardware forum is here, I see now that Coder's Heaven has been restructured by RCK. Thanks man

Right now the structure is as it reads, ie:
-Asm/Hardware is exactly that
-system is language-independant
-Languages will contain languages

And there's
General/Tutorials
General/Releases

I like this a lot, very logical.

I'll see what I can do tonight with the requests (in this thread so far), I was just heading to bed when I saw this...

Edit: PM'd request for

System/Scripting
Languages/C-C++
Languages/AMOS

subforums, for now. I think it would cover most things this way, without overdoing the splitting?

I've also requested a System/Nextgen forum, I think that's good as the featuresets differ.

Last edited by Photon; 30 October 2011 at 02:48.
Old 30 October 2011, 21:51   #16
gilgamesh
Linux snob

C and BB for me.

Nobody's interested in Modula any more? It used to be pretty popular.
Old 01 November 2011, 22:37   #17
Lonewolf10

I think that sets everything nicely

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 16 August 2012, 01:48   #18
pintcat

Next to Assembly I'd like to learn more about DOS/Shell scripting. It's always good to know all the tricks.
Old 13 September 2012, 19:04   #19
fishyfish
Banned

Klingon.

Oh wait, programing languages? My bad

Sorry, its 3am, and I cant get back to sleep

p.s. Contrary to how it may appear Im neither a Trekkie or Trekker. My choice of Klingon was just 'cos it was the most random thing my brain came up with. I do enjoy DS9 and Voyager (and to an extent NG, but damn its aged almost as badly as TOS), but refuse to subscribe o the Trekkie/Trekker debate, so instead just call myself a Star Trek fan

All off topic, but it is 3am after all

As for the topic, most things seems covered, with the possible exception of CanDo.
No something Ive used, but after reading a few tutorials about it in old magazines it seems like it could be quite fun, albiet a little simple.
Old 18 April 2015, 15:26   #20
Lisiak4

I like programming in Python / AmigaPython. And I want to start programming in C.