English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 May 2018, 07:52   #721
spudje

As you said, there actually are multiple adf mount programs (look on Aminet). So put your adfs and the mount program on the 2nd cf. Boot from the main CF and install the program from adf to main CF.
Old 16 May 2018, 09:21   #722
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
How do I install, for example: Lightwave 3.5 or any other software that dont have preinstaled whdload version?
Should i mount boot card to PC, and then, using winuae, install it?
ACA500plus supports FAT filesystems natively, so just use a regular FAT-formatted CF card, stick it in a card reader, copy the installation files on your Windows PC (since it is FAT, there is no need for WinUAE) and then insert it into the AUX slot on the ACA. It will pop up as a drive in Workbench and then you can install the software from the AUX CF card onto your boot CF card.
Old 24 May 2018, 20:52   #723
d4rk3lf

Sorry for the late replies.

@Spudje
Yes, that was the plan from the start. However, I can't figure out how to proper install and use some of the programs I've tried.
Any recommendation for app that works well with Aca 500+?

@demolition
I am not sure if I understand you. Do you mean like using the whole CF card as one ADF? Wouldn't that be insane?
Or you mean that I unpack ADF on PC, and just copy the files to Aux, and then start installation?
I've plan to try that, but wouldn't (after I start install) app ask me to change the floppy?
Thanks anyway.
Old 24 May 2018, 22:03   #724
spudje

I don't really remember but I think it's http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/DiskImageGui I prefer (Not able to go boot an Amiga on which it's installed, sorry)
Old 25 May 2018, 00:36   #725
E-Penguin
Banana

Stick the ADFs on the CF and mount them with this
http://bfugl.dk/Download.asp
Old 25 May 2018, 05:23   #726
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I am not sure if I understand you. Do you mean like using the whole CF card as one ADF? Wouldn't that be insane?
Or you mean that I unpack ADF on PC, and just copy the files to Aux, and then start installation?
I've plan to try that, but wouldn't (after I start install) app ask me to change the floppy?
Yes, my proposal was to extract the contents of the floppies into one folder on the CF card and then start the installation from there. This could be done on the PC, or you could use something like UnADF on the Amiga (http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/UnADF). When all disks are extracted into one folder, most installers should just complete the entire installation without asking for the next floppy since it already sees the contents of the next disk (WB install works like this for example). If it does happen to ask for the next disk, often you can just click ok to have it continue the installation. Of course there might be some installers that are a bit more 'stupid' and requires just one disk at a time. In that case, a tool like DiskImageGui might be required.

Edit: I just noticed that UnADF is 020+ so it will only work if you have an 020+ accelerator attached to your ACA500plus. A quick search did not find any 68000 compatible alternatives, but perhaps someone else has a suggestion?
To do it on the PC (or other platform that has Python 2.x), Amitools looks like a good option:
https://pypi.org/project/amitools/

Last edited by demolition; 25 May 2018 at 05:32.
Old 25 May 2018, 14:38   #727
d4rk3lf

@ E-Penguin and Demolition.

Thanks a lot guys. I'll try Demolition advice of first unpacking ADF's on the PC (Winuae can do this perfectly), then starting instalation on my Amiga. If it's not working in some cases (asking for next disk), I'll try app that Penguin suggested.

Cheers.
Old 25 May 2018, 16:46   #728
E-Penguin
Banana

The trouble you might run into with unpacking the files directly is that the installer may look for a volume with a particular name, like InstallDisk:. This can be worked around by creating an assign to the directory.

http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS...ference#ASSIGN
Old 03 June 2018, 10:53   #729
softiron

how about Gotek with Flash Floppy?
Old 06 June 2018, 18:49   #730
genenorton

Aca1000 ?

Is there any timeline for a ACA1000?
Should I stop waiting and just use a ACA500plus?

Old 08 June 2018, 15:26   #731
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genenorton View Post
Is there any timeline for a ACA1000?
Sorry, no timeline. There are so many other projects in the pipe that I don't even know if we can get to that before the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genenorton View Post
Should I stop waiting and just use a ACA500plus?
The ACA500plus won't give the A1000 more chipmem - and above all, it's not guaranteed to work on the A1000. It has the wrong form factor (CF cards would face backwards), floats in the air with no proper support, A1200 accelerators face forward, conflicting with mouse/joystick ports, you may have to remove the 68000 CPU from the A1000's socket and close a solder-jumper on the ACA500plus to get it working reliably.

Not worth the risk, and not worth the effort. Although installing the ACA1000 will be more complicated (you need to remove the DIL-Agnus and insert an adapter, run a cable from there to the 86-pin expansion port), it's really the better option, as it tackles one of the most pressing problems of the A1000: Chipram size. Also, the unit will stand vertical next to the machine, not taking too much space and putting the DisMo and CF cards in a nice, visible and accessible place.

Jens
Old 08 June 2018, 23:43   #732
pgovotsos

Boy, it would be great if the ACA 1000 ever came to the top of the queue! Something properly form fitted instead of a bodge Lots of accelerators being made but nothing fits the 1000 without relocators or leaving the case open

Since it would do chip memory, would NTSC 1000s have to remove the daughterboard? Would it work on both NTSC and PAL machines?

What would it take to move this to the top of the queue? Are you thinking of ever doing another run of Buddha Phoenix edition or possibly an adapter that would let the new run of Buddha fit the GBA1000 / Phoenix? How much more money can I throw across the ocean at you
Old 09 June 2018, 11:34   #733
Crank

What I'd really love to see is a new Amiga 500 motherboard, with embedded ACA500plus and Indivision ECS. That would really be something. Probably tons of people would buy the motherboard in an instant if it fit the original case without modifications.

How about it Jens?
Old 09 June 2018, 14:41   #734
Photon

Obviously the ideal would be to use the space and expandability inside. ACA500(Plus) is as Jens explains a bit cumbersome for A1000, but it seems to work as a flipped-over sidecar, like this. Mount feet on it so it's level and I don't see why not.
Old 13 June 2018, 09:55   #735
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgovotsos View Post
Boy, it would be great if the ACA 1000 ever came to the top of the queue! Something properly form fitted instead of a bodge Lots of accelerators being made but nothing fits the 1000 without relocators or leaving the case open
That's exactly what I have in mind: Something that does not stick out the side by 20cm. The A1000 is high enough for a vertical expansion to carry LOTS of components :-)

Quote:
Since it would do chip memory, would NTSC 1000s have to remove the daughterboard? Would it work on both NTSC and PAL machines?
You probably refer to the difference between the early version with daughter board (2-layer board) and the later version with the daughterboard components included (the 4-layer A1000). And no, no need to remove the daughterboard. It must stay in, and only Agnus needs to be removed. You drop in an adapter there, run a cable trough the opening where the 86-pin expansion port comes out and connect that cable to the ACA1000 prior to plugging the 86-pin expansion in. I expect that cable to be invisible in the final installation.

Quote:
What would it take to move this to the top of the queue?
Just finishing a few other projects: Indivision ECS V2, Chameleon V2 (both in prototype phase already), X-Surf-500, and of course Indivision AGA for A4000D, which needs a re-design.

Quote:
Are you thinking of ever doing another run of Buddha Phoenix edition or possibly an adapter that would let the new run of Buddha fit the GBA1000 / Phoenix? How much more money can I throw across the ocean at you
Buddha Phoenix won't come back. An adapter for the front-slot is so easy that my services should not be required.

Jens
Old 13 June 2018, 14:16   #736
EzdineG

ACA500 plus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
It must stay in, and only Agnus needs to be removed. You drop in an adapter there, run a cable trough the opening where the 86-pin expansion port comes out and connect that cable to the ACA1000 prior to plugging the 86-pin

Jens
Jens, am I understanding correctly that you’re working on a solution for the A1000 that expands chip RAM like the Rejuvenator? If so, is the mentioned cable going to plug in to the existing Agnus and bypass logic on the motherboard to do so?

Can you share any more information about your plans? Exciting!
Old 13 June 2018, 14:44   #737
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Please don't compare directly to the Rejuvenator, as that one has a design fault (at least the model that I have seen in a computer of a German user "Ratte"): The C1/C3 clocks of the A1000 (which are the clocks available on the 86-pin port) do not run in sync with the C1/C3 clocks that Fat Agnus generates. Although Rejuvenator has all means to *make* them run in sync, the logic does not seem to work properly, and components on the 86-pin port fail for that reason.

I want to make a solution that does not require you to remove the daughterboard, and if everything goes as planned, I won't need clips on the clock generation circuit (under the metal shield) either. I am not at that point yet; installation shall be easy, but won't be as easy as with the ACA500. Removing a chip (Agnus) and replacing it with an adapter-thing is not really hard, but it's not an everyday-thing either. Computer stuff has gotten a lot easier over the years :-)

Jens
Old 13 June 2018, 15:54   #738
EzdineG

Thank you for elaborating on your project. I’m looking forward to hearing more about it in the future.
Old 13 June 2018, 17:38   #739
Robbie

ah, so the ACA2000 is dead? Sad face.
Old 20 June 2018, 18:42   #740
Rockwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Just finishing a few other projects: Indivision ECS V2, Chameleon V2 (both in prototype phase already), X-Surf-500, and of course Indivision AGA for A4000D, which needs a re-design.
Excellent. I can finally get my two A500's completely updated with Indivision boards, then. In the past half year I've acquired two resin printers and am retrofitting some house space to be an area where I can do print and development work without filling my whole house with fumes. I need to return to the ACA500+ case with the new printers and rework the design with the intent to make molds and be able to cast them in batches. Supporting the VGA-out cable of the Indivision needs to be part of the design, but to date I hadn't been able to get my hands on one.

So, if all goes well, the case I've been designing should be available in some fashion by the end of the year. At least that's the plan.