English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 19 October 2017, 09:37   #101
ransom1122

Both "Faster" & "better" compression give same result, speed up/glitches/Frame drops in joined avi that is not present while playing the game.

I am starting to think it may be my PC now...I have an old machine using Vista 32bit..
Old 20 October 2017, 03:51   #102
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Just got time to try latest beta version. Finally no frame skips! Well done Toni! And the pop sound seems be gone too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
I tried the new version Al82 provided above of winuae, and I get the same pops, and frame skips, frame drops and new speed up issues. when using savestates.
I can not reproduce this. I have the same settings as you except for:

1. I set the FPS in display to exact 50 fps.

2. I have everything checked in output tab. Even ("display sound output") because I remember that caused sound delay in earlier versions. Have not made any tests with later versions though (do not like to record with sound anyway).

3. I have the slider all to the left in the TSCC codec (it still generates 10x smaller files compared to Lagarith)

Will do some more tests this weekend.
Old 20 October 2017, 17:08   #103
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

One more update, there is chance this fixes oddly missing frames from recorded output if CPU is not fast enough for realtime compression.
Old 21 October 2017, 05:04   #104
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
One more update, there is chance this fixes oddly missing frames from recorded output if CPU is not fast enough for realtime compression.
I tried the new version and it seems much better for me then previous version..

Super Hang On - I Tried with 9 different AVI joins all using savesatates and I could not detect any frame drops/glitches/ speedups or sound pops.

Shadow Warriors - I tried with 4 AVI joins all using savestates only one 1 join though glitched (attached screenshot below) all the rest of the AVI joins were perfect. I did not receive any speed up issues I had previously)

I must admit I tried to record the game for the 2nd time after this glitch part joining 5 AVI's with savestates on each one. This time I "disabled fame rate limit" & "Disable sound output" and at no stage it glitched.

At this stage I think whatever changes you made have headed in the right direction.. Thank you.

Here are my TSCC settings

Last edited by ransom1122; 21 October 2017 at 05:14.
Old 21 October 2017, 17:45   #105
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

And yet another update. When stopping recording, any still queued frame was not recorded.

(btw, I'd have fixed these ages ago if someone would have very accurately reported this kind of stop+start frame accurate recording use case and its problems.. As I have always said: recording is lowest priority feature ever.)
Old 22 October 2017, 01:24   #106
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
And yet another update. When stopping recording, any still queued frame was not recorded.

(btw, I'd have fixed these ages ago if someone would have very accurately reported this kind of stop+start frame accurate recording use case and its problems.. As I have always said: recording is lowest priority feature ever.)
Hiya,

Tested the new version... Two AVI Joins with savestates at different places caused the same graphic glitch twice...

I also had sound enabled during recording. TSCC setting was left as default.. I also left the fps at an even 50 fps as hipoonios does in his test recordings.

Again... If hipoonios & AI82 could not replicate the problem with the same game and same config, then it may have something to do with my PC.
Old 22 October 2017, 02:21   #107
Al82

I tried Shadow Warriors with your config and didn't have any issues.

Have you tried recording using a different video codec to see if that resolves the issue? I'd definitely give Lagarith a try - it may not compress as well as TSCC, but it's a lot quicker too.
Old 22 October 2017, 06:48   #108
Rotareneg

It seems to be working almost 100% perfectly, the only slight imperfection I can identify is that the recorded audio when restoring a save state has a tiny glitch at the beginning of the frame and is slightly different for the duration of the frame.

The top track is using the frame from after the restore, the next track is the same frame from before the restore, and the bottom is the difference (magnified.)

Audio was set to 48 kHz in both the Sound tab and in the recording settings, the only recording option checked was the default "Capture before filtering" one.

Other than that I didn't see any issues after recording a full play through of Menace in which I used the save/restore function quite a lot, bound 'em to two buttons on my game pad.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 October 2017, 16:13   #109
mark_k

Perhaps the audio glitch is due to WinUAE's interpolation? Try changing interpolation type in sound settings to Disabled and see whether it's still present.
Old 22 October 2017, 17:38   #110
Al82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
Perhaps the audio glitch is due to WinUAE's interpolation? Try changing interpolation type in sound settings to Disabled and see whether it's still present.
It probably is the interpolation - it's set to 'Anti' by default, but I found that you'd get a tiny, audible 'tick' when recording from a save-state. I generally don't get this when disabling it
Old 23 October 2017, 02:12   #111
ransom1122

hipoonios mentioned to me..
Quote:
I made some tests with your savestates and my own and same thing happened here. It seems to happen more often when screen scrolls, so first thought it could be that the new WinUAE do not like scrolling games.

But then I tried another game with scrolling (Altered Beast) and no glitches there. So it seems that it is just this game it happens with? Or have you found any more?

Have made tests with different ADF's (and IPF's) and played with the configuration... with no luck.
My results...

I tried out different shadow warrior adfs from the gamebase2.0 and after 8 avi joins only 1 avi join out of 8 popped with that graphic glitch i kept getting. All the rest merged perfectly although even when loading the state during recording i did see graphic glitches but not in the final result of the joined avis. So maybe it has something to do with the ADF's or simply Shadow Warriors is hard to record due to horizontal scrolling.

I tried the Lagarith codec for shadow warrio, and it does the same thing, graphic glitching on avi join, can't be the codec.

I did a test with Shadow of the beast with TSCC.. No graphic glitches like Shadow warrior after 8 avi joins, i did notice one small audio POP other then that it is ok.

I test Altered Beast ADF's with TSCC after 8 avi joins NO graphic glitches and no audio pops..

Can results vary dependent on what game or different adfs used? or even horizontal scrolling in certain games (Shadow Warriors) might be an issue?

Last edited by ransom1122; 23 October 2017 at 02:36.
Old 23 October 2017, 22:51   #112
Al82

I tried another recording session with Shadow Warriors, but I couldn't replicate the issue. I deliberately resumed recording from loading a state whilst the screen was scrolling and it was fine

* Edit *
I recorded Shadow Warriors for my YouTube channel several years back and I was just reviewing the footage and I can see the glitch occurring in my old video:

[ Show youtube player ]

Watch the vid from 2:50 and you'll see the glitch at 2:59 - this video was made with a much older version of WinUAE. If I get time I'll look at recording the entire game in the new version and see if it still occurs.

Last edited by Al82; 23 October 2017 at 22:57.
Old 24 October 2017, 06:12   #113
ransom1122

@AI82 Yep that glitch in 2.59 is what i get all the time.
Old 10 August 2022, 05:14   #114
ransom1122

Bringing back an old thread, due to still lacking the ability of creating a merged AVI using savestates.

Using WinUAE 4.9.1 (2022/02/02)
Video Codec : TSCC
Enabling Capture before filtering
Display : 50Hz PAL
Sound Interpolation: Disabled

The main two issues i get are the common black screen and or the pop noise after reloading savestates)

The game I was trying was Dalek Attack (with music enabled) but this pop or black screen frame when reloading savestates occurs on all games...

I've attached log & savestate (savestate 2mb too big too attach), that hopefully you can disect and figure out why I keep getting this issue?

Savestate #2 works as it was used without reloading the savestate

Savestate #3 brings up black screen frame

I have also attached a log using the ADF of the same game but black screen still happens with reloading savestate?