English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 20 March 2014, 23:04   #1
richhhhshel

Never been used Amiga 600

Hi everyone.

So my Fiancees mum as been having a clear out and discovered a computer she bought for her 2 young girls some years ago. Turns out she never knew how to set it up and the kids were too young so away it goes never to be seen again.
Turns out that this is an Amiga 600 and upon excitedly going to have a look its from what i can see never actually been fully unpacked, the power pack was looked at by her the av lead and 1 set of discs also looked at. The rest is still perfectly sealed in its wrapping. The only sign of any wear at all is on the box, 1 corner is ripped and stained and the whole box looks old.
Can anyone advise on what the sale value would be?

Thanks

Old 21 March 2014, 00:38   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
The value is somewhere between what you are willing to sell for and what a buyer is prepared to pay. If you auction it starting at 99p on eBay you will likely get the maximum return.
Old 21 March 2014, 14:24   #3
alenppc

The brand new factor will definitely add value to it, however please be aware that the capacitors have probably leaked due to years of not being used and will have to be replaced.
Old 21 March 2014, 19:17   #4
richhhhshel

Thanks for the replys. Could anyone even hazard a guess if what it might be worth?

Old 21 March 2014, 19:41   #5
IFW

Realistically, about GBP 5... but ebay is not famous for realistic prices - so you might end up with nothing to several hundreds.
Good luck!
Old 21 March 2014, 19:46   #6
DaveMB
Banana in disk drive eror

Quote:
Originally Posted by richhhhshel View Post
Thanks for the replys. Could anyone even hazard a guess if what it might be worth?
around £40 - £60 at a guess based on ebay listings.

try your luck at a 99p start with no reserve and let it find it's own level.
Old 21 March 2014, 19:51   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Could anyone even hazard a guess if what it might be worth?
Here an used Amiga 600 with 2 joysticks ending in 21 hours: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Commodore-Ami...-/251476235464
The 'still partially wrapped' factor will of course have a positive influence on the price, but how much it'll be is impossible to say. Like the everybody else in this thread said: Put it on eBay with 99p starting price and watch the ride
Old 21 March 2014, 23:24   #8
richhhhshel

Fair enough. Thanks for your replys. Not really worth selling then so I might as well have a play with it.

Old 21 March 2014, 23:59   #9
lukassid

I reckon you would get over £150 for it. If it's still factory white.
Old 22 March 2014, 00:06   #10
richhhhshel

It is still factory white. The main unit as never been unwrapped

Old 22 March 2014, 02:15   #11
Hillsy_

I would test the machine before placing it on ebay, nothing worse than an unhappy ebayer. People will bid higher if you can show more pictures, you can put 12 pics on ebay. Make sure you show the keyboard if it is white, maybe a couple of different angles. Try and show it working in one of the pictures too. More often than not, people will jump on the item toward the end. I wouldn't put a reserve on, as it gives the impression you don't really want to sell it. If you are going to post the item out, make sure you cover the costs and understand ebay fees which you should know about if you have used ebay before. Alternatively, if you do like the Amiga 600 then enjoy it and keep it.
Old 22 March 2014, 02:32   #12
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Actually real collectors would prefer that it was not tested as once you put power through it the machine is 'used' of course you have no proof that it's never been turned on so it's a catch 22.

Take on board alenppc's comments though, most likely as it's never been used the electrolytic capacitors will have broken down inside and once you put power through will probably go pop so when the new user receives it, it might not even work or present some issues.
Old 22 March 2014, 02:48   #13
Hillsy_

If what you say is true, then it should be listed for collector's only. If the box isn't sealed, then has it been used? If anything has been taken out of the box or any of the corresponding items have been taken out then it is classed as used even though it hasn't actually been used. People are very quick to judge if something is new, sealed or used on ebay.
Old 22 March 2014, 08:55   #14
richhhhshel

Thanks for all the replys. The story I was told is that the box was opened, power unit taken out, AV lead taken out then t was put back as it looked to difficult to set up.
I'm ry unsure what to suggest to her, she's said I can have it but I have an amiga 1200 so would never use it. I'm not a collector so I wouldn't appreciate it as much as a collectors might. I may just do as suggested and take a lot of pics and stick it on eBay and see what happens. I agree that it may be best to leave it as unused, I assume someone that knows about these things would buy it and understand about the capacitors anyhow.

Old 24 March 2014, 05:14   #15
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
If you put your A600 for sale, may you also add the link on this thread...
Good luck for the sale.
Old 24 March 2014, 12:13   #16
demolition
Unregistered User

If the capacitors have not already leaked, they might do so when you apply power to it, so if it was my A600, I would recap it before powering it up. Less cleaning required then. If you're selling it, I think keeping it in the wrapping would be the best. With wrapping do you mean the ESD bag? How is that sealed (tape?) and can it be reclosed after opening it without it being apparent? If so, then how can a buyer trust that it is indeed unopened?
Old 26 March 2014, 21:53   #17
Kitty

New is sealed never used.

You don't buy a new Xbox One in the shops and expect it to be unwrapped do you?
At least that's my opinion.
I still think it will sell for silly amounts on ebay if you list it right, seems to be happening a lot lately.
I wouldn't personally pay more than £60 plus P&P myself, good luck with the sale though
Old 26 March 2014, 21:58   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Not really worth selling then so I might as well have a play with it.
Over 65 quid is 'not really worth selling' ? I wager a bet that after eBay fees and stuff you still have 50 pound for something that would otherwise get a total usage time of maybe 10 hours before it gathers dust... Better give it to a good home and have a nice dinner IMO
Old 26 March 2014, 22:48   #19
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

My suggestions: Announce it as new, then you tell all the story, so you won't cheat nobody. Do not change the caps, it will be certainly more "used", and do not sell it for collectors only, then you reduce the biddings; if people want to pay the sending, let them.

If you haven't turned it on, I would. It's already opened, so if it works you will have more biddings, and I think the usual thing is that it will work.

Finally put a link to this page.
Old 26 March 2014, 23:45   #20
richhhhshel

Thanks for all the helpful tips.
I think in gunna list it on Sunday if I get a bit of time. I think I will as suggested, just lost it as new explain the whole story people can then make their own judgement as to wether they want to bid.

I will of course post a link to this page.