English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. AMOS

Old 29 September 2017, 16:38   #1
Brick Nash
Prototron

Info on making a palette

Right I've decided to put the game on hold for a bit while I figure out what I'm doing with the palettes.

If I'm correct, sprites or bobs use the first half of a palette (colour 0 is transparent) and those colours never change, but the backgrounds use the second half and those colours can change to suit the different stage settings.

So, when it comes to setting up a palette for the game's bobs/sprites and backgrounds how would I go about it? As in, how would I combine the two into one palette though, or multiple palettes which contain the sprite/bob colours and the different background colours? Is it something which has to be plugged in by hand in Dpaint or is there some way to merge the two palettes and then just reorder and remap everything and then load the new palettes for each stage in Amos?

I have tiles for all the arcade and Amiga backgrounds so I can save a palette for each of them, and I have a small sprite sheet with one frame of every character in the game so all the colours are there and I can save a palette out of that for the sprites.

It's getting the two together in the same palette which is today's headache.

Thanks, it's a wordy request I know, but I'm pretty clueless about this and I don't want to go any further with anything else before sorting it out.
Old 29 September 2017, 16:53   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Bobs use as many colors as you like. Sprites use colors 17-31 if 15 colors are used. If you use 3 color sprites, pairs share colors on ECS.

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk
Old 29 September 2017, 19:27   #3
Brick Nash
Prototron

Ok cool that's good to know. How do you go about setting up a palette for a game though? Like step wise. As I say, I have a palette for the background and one for the bobs but I need to put them together somehow so the full set can be used and I can't see any way to do that in Dpaint.
Old 30 September 2017, 16:57   #4
idrougge

The background and bobs share the same palette since bobs are just parts of the screen just as the background, removed and redrawn each time you issue the Bob command.
Colours 16–31 are used for the sprites. Even in 16 colour mode. If you use 16 colour backgrounds/bobs, just treat the sprite palette as something totally separate and use whatever colours you like. If you use 32 colours, it makes sense to first draw your sprites with colours 16-31, defining those colours to your liking, then defining colours 0–15 to flesh out your palette for the backdrops and bobs.
Old 30 September 2017, 17:06   #5
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
The background and bobs share the same palette since bobs are just parts of the screen just as the background, removed and redrawn each time you issue the Bob command.
Colours 16–31 are used for the sprites. Even in 16 colour mode. If you use 16 colour backgrounds/bobs, just treat the sprite palette as something totally separate and use whatever colours you like. If you use 32 colours, it makes sense to first draw your sprites with colours 16-31, defining those colours to your liking, then defining colours 0–15 to flesh out your palette for the backdrops and bobs.
Awesome thanks. That makes things clearer. Just to be very clear, when you say sprites are you taking about Bobs too?

All the graphics for the game are pre-drawn and taken from the first Double Dragon Amiga game for the backgrounds and the bob images are from the Megadrive game. With that in mind, is it just a case of noting down the colours on paper and manually making a palette(s) which will incorporate everything?

Again, much obliged for the information.
Old 30 September 2017, 17:10   #6
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash View Post
Awesome thanks. That makes things clearer. Just to be very clear, when you say sprites are you taking about Bobs too?
No, only sprites. Bobs are just background graphics as far as the hardware is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash
All the graphics for the game are pre-drawn and taken from the first Double Dragon Amiga game for the backgrounds and the bob images are from the Megadrive game. With that in mind, is it just a case of noting down the colours on paper and manually making a palette(s) which will incorporate everything?
I'd look into Personal Paint's wonderful palette handling. The "remap" command is your friend.
Old 30 September 2017, 18:45   #7
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I'd look into Personal Paint's wonderful palette handling. The "remap" command is your friend.
Ahh ok, I may have to re-think my graphical sources. When I remap the sprite sheets using the individual background's palettes they all turn out slightly different each time which would mean that the Bob's colours would suddenly change a bit when a new Level starts.