Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 09 September 2016, 09:10   #1
utri007
mä vaan

X-Men: Ravages Of The Apocalypse

Noticed this on hol

X-Men: Ravages Of The Apocalypse

http://hol.abime.net/3457

It says alive mediasoft published it, no other info. Is it availlable somewhere? Is it just add on to Quake? Does it require Quake?
Old 09 September 2016, 10:31   #2
DamienD
Banned

Here's some more info on Moby Games:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/x-men-...-of-apocalypse

...and here's an old EAB thread "Info needed about X-men: Ravages of the apocalypse":

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=4986
Old 09 September 2016, 12:27   #3
grelbfarlk

It's a Quake 1 mod. Extract it to your Quake 1 directory and launch quake with -game xmen and it should work. At least for me it does with Cowcat's QuakeGL 5.07 and it starts to play the demos but hangs when loading the actual game. You can download it here:
http://www.zerogravity.com.au/portfolio0601.php
Old 09 September 2016, 20:35   #4
utri007
mä vaan

Downloaded, will test after I get my wife to sleep
Old 10 September 2016, 01:51   #5
James

Extra SP map...

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/idg...men/xstore.zip

Extra DM maps...

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/mir...forma/xdm5.zip

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/mir...forma/xdm6.zip
Old 10 September 2016, 01:53   #6
utri007
mä vaan

Seems to work with Clickboom's Quake060

It has someweird elements, took some time to figure out how to start actual game. First level is boring, there was only three opponents and they attacked one By one.
Old 10 September 2016, 02:39   #7
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
At least for me it does with Cowcat's QuakeGL 5.07 and it starts to play the demos but hangs when loading the actual game.
Are you sure it is hanging? The " 'Light_Lev' is not a field" error can slow down the first map load quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
It has someweird elements, took some time to figure out how to start actual game. First level is boring, there was only three opponents and they attacked one By one.
There are 22 enemies in the first level on normal skill.
The best things about this game are the music and graphics though... It's a bit more fun playing as an X-Man instead of the cyborg.

Last edited by James; 10 September 2016 at 02:45.
Old 10 September 2016, 13:08   #8
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Are you sure it is hanging? The " 'Light_Lev' is not a field" error can slow down the first map load quite a bit.
I get that message but also WAD is not a field. Maybe I'm starting it wrong? I just select single player, new game then get those messages.
Old 10 September 2016, 15:28   #9
James

Quote:
I get that message but also WAD is not a field. Maybe I'm starting it wrong?
My memory is failing me.
Remember now that I also had problems with this at first, I copied out all the contents of the pak files using Dopus4 (moving the pak files elsewhere) and the crash disappeared. I later built a new single pak file, but this unnecessary.
Old 11 September 2016, 15:57   #10
grelbfarlk

Quote:
My memory is failing me.
Remember now that I also had problems with this at first, I copied out all the contents of the pak files using Dopus4 (moving the pak files elsewhere) and the crash disappeared. I later built a new single pak file, but this unnecessary.
I unpacked all of the pack files to the xmen directory and it seems to have fixed some stuff like some of the special sounds when you access the menu but I still get the wad is not a field error when starting a single player game. I tried unpacking the gfx.wad file too but it was unable to unpack the last few files. So maybe that's the issue.
Old 13 September 2016, 01:20   #11
James

Quote:
I unpacked all of the pack files to the xmen directory and it seems to have fixed some stuff like some of the special sounds when you access the menu but I still get the wad is not a field error when starting a single player game.
Just noticed that I'm also getting the "wad is not a field" message. Hadn't noticed it before because of the large number of light_lev messages. It is not causing any serious problem here...

Quote:
I tried unpacking the gfx.wad file too but it was unable to unpack the last few files. So maybe that's the issue.
Unpacking gfx.wad should not be necessary, I tried and also found some files would not unpack. It only contains the graphics for the status bar, crosshair and font, so I doubt it could be causing the problem or the demos wouldn't work. I think X-Men may be a bit more memory demanding than Quake, how much do you have?
Old 13 September 2016, 01:45   #12
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Just noticed that I'm also getting the "wad is not a field" message. Hadn't noticed it before because of the large number of light_lev messages. It is not causing any serious problem here...

Unpacking gfx.wad should not be necessary, I tried and also found some files would not unpack. It only contains the graphics for the status bar, crosshair and font, so I doubt it could be causing the problem or the demos wouldn't work. I think X-Men may be a bit more memory demanding than Quake, how much do you have?
I'm using the WOS version on the Sonnet, which has 192MB, which may be part of the problem, that is the Sonnet not the memory, I'll try allocating more for it.

I tried the 68060 VBCC 5.6 version and it started up single player just fine. Is anyone using it on PPC? I'll ask Hedeon if he has time to test it on his.
Old 13 September 2016, 12:03   #13
James

Quote:
I'm using the WOS version on the Sonnet, which has 192MB, which may be part of the problem, that is the Sonnet not the memory, I'll try allocating more for it.

I tried the 68060 VBCC 5.6 version and it started up single player just fine. Is anyone using it on PPC? I'll ask Hedeon if he has time to test it on his.
Ah, m68k only here.
You could check if the problem is map specific by starting with +map x1m1 to skip the start map. If that does not work you could try x1m2 as that is already working in the third demo (assuming you let it play that far). Skipping any map apart from the start map makes it impossible to complete the game.
Old 15 September 2016, 02:29   #14
grelbfarlk

Same if I start with +map x1m1. Oh well lots of other mods work just fine. Maybe it's some issue with this version of Quake with this mod. I noticed I can't start up the game even if TCP/IP is started. It does say SV_Spawnserver right before getting the Lightlev and Wad is not a field messages.
Old 29 October 2016, 01:37   #15
grelbfarlk

Hedeon made an update to the Sonnet.library and now it works fine, pretty weird game, not what I was expecting.