English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 July 2018, 13:14   #1
PatmanQC

Why were some arcade conversions so bad on the Amiga?

I bought my Amiga back in 1987 and really enjoyed it for a few years. I had my good old Commodore 64 for almost 4 years prior to that so I was ready for an upgrade. For the most part I loved it but was really disappointed in certain arcade conversions specifically Rolling Thunder. Was it just a poor conversion due to the developer? I'm sure the Amiga could've done better. Thanks.
Old 27 July 2018, 13:30   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOWL View Post
I bought my Amiga back in 1987 and really enjoyed it for a few years. I had my good old Commodore 64 for almost 4 years prior to that so I was ready for an upgrade. For the most part I loved it but was really disappointed in certain arcade conversions specifically Rolling Thunder. Was it just a poor conversion due to the developer? I'm sure the Amiga could've done better. Thanks.
The name of the developer for Rolling Thunder is Tiertex.

Do a cursory search for the name "Tiertex" on this very forum, and see how much high regard people have for them.

That should pretty much answer your question
Old 27 July 2018, 13:34   #3
DamienD
Banned

...and here are some of the legendary games that Tiertex developed

A few games are ok though.
Old 27 July 2018, 13:55   #4
PatmanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...and here are some of the legendary games that Tiertex developed

A few games are ok though.
Yes, there are some decent games on that list. But it looks like every conversion done by that company is not very good.
Old 27 July 2018, 14:59   #5
Hewitson

Name one good one..
Old 27 July 2018, 15:02   #6
DamienD
Banned

Back in the day I thought Mercs wasn't too bad.

...same for U.N. Squadron at the time but I know a lot of people have issues with this.
Old 27 July 2018, 15:47   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Mercs is indeed pretty OK. But that's the only Tiertex game I remember which wasn't complete and utter garbage.
Old 27 July 2018, 17:48   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

That's your channel isn't it? A reasonably fun video, so I go to see what else is on there.

It's - all - bowling until a few weeks ago. Well, I like the new turn you've taken
Old 27 July 2018, 18:22   #9
PatmanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Back in the day I thought Mercs wasn't too bad.

...same for U.N. Squadron at the time but I know a lot of people have issues with this.
My thoughts exactly, scrolling of both those games were pretty bad but the games were decent
Old 27 July 2018, 18:26   #10
PatmanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
That's your channel isn't it? A reasonably fun video, so I go to see what else is on there.

It's - all - bowling until a few weeks ago. Well, I like the new turn you've taken
All of the history of videogames videos I've done had a lot of interesting facts to talk about. There isn't too much about paperboy to discuss. It is one of my favorite arcade games but I did the video as a request from one of my Patreon. It was an all bowling game channel about a year ago so I decided to seriously revamp it. If you like my channel, please subscribe. Thanks for the comments
Old 27 July 2018, 18:40   #11
RunsilenT

Conversions

I think Arcade conversions were seen as old territory, unlike the nostalgia we award them now. Developers wanted new ideas, poor developers wanted a quick buck for minimum effort. I think the same law covered Movie Titles. The Amiga Marble Madness and others did a fair job at the time, but you`ll always find a raft of **it in an ocean of blue on every platform.
Old 27 July 2018, 21:01   #12
seuden
uber cool demi god

I assume money had a massive thing to do with it.

In regards to Tiertex I really enjoyed England, I was only young tho and it was my only football game for a while. Haha.
Old 27 July 2018, 23:14   #13
Asman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOWL View Post
Rolling Thunder is soooo bad that even there is no screenshots in HOL

As I remember long time ago I sent email to coder of Rolling Thunder with question about releasing all Tiertex games with source codes. Here are interesting parts

My Question:

"I want to ask about possibility to release all Tiertex Amiga games ( with sources if is possible ) for amiga community. Is this is possible ?"

Answer
"All the Amiga games we did the rights and source is owned by the publishers and even though I wouldn't mind them being put out to the amiga community I can't do it.

Tbh most of the games would be a struggle to locate.

Sorry I can't be of more help."

I still think that Amiga deserve much better port of this game. By the way how good in Amiga version is game logic ?
Old 27 July 2018, 23:59   #14
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
Rolling Thunder is soooo bad that even there is no screenshots in HOL

As I remember long time ago I sent email to coder of Rolling Thunder with question about releasing all Tiertex games with source codes. Here are interesting parts

My Question:

"I want to ask about possibility to release all Tiertex Amiga games ( with sources if is possible ) for amiga community. Is this is possible ?"

Answer
"All the Amiga games we did the rights and source is owned by the publishers and even though I wouldn't mind them being put out to the amiga community I can't do it.

Tbh most of the games would be a struggle to locate.

Sorry I can't be of more help."

I still think that Amiga deserve much better port of this game. By the way how good in Amiga version is game logic ?
lol the Amiga game logic is rubbish.