English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 15 April 2019, 20:26   #21
jojo073

Last edited by jojo073; 04 May 2019 at 23:15.
Old 15 April 2019, 20:34   #22
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo073 View Post
Now people who do not know anything will say, what a bad loser ...
But, seriously?
We are crazy? It has been awarded the ripping graphics or not knowing how to draw, is rewarded having a bad programming, which does not work and penalizes good programming ...
They already told me, forget about winning ... but seeing what had been delivered, I thought that people would be more serious ...
Nobody can tell me that a game with failures, without finishing and that it is a copy, can win a game well done. To show you that the fudge has been seen, I'll just tell you that the programmer of my game works in Uncharted. and has been humiliated by some amateurs with mediocre games ...
We are crazy?
I will not say anything to the programmer, I will say that the contest was suspended, I can not humiliate him and tell him that his programming has been 4 or 5 or 10 for a game ripped with failures ...
This only makes the Amiga keep going to the ground.
For my part, I can only withdraw from this forum, since I feel seriously humiliated.

Jojo73 - you're clearly upset, take a bit of time away and come back to the EAB with a fresh head.
Old 15 April 2019, 21:05   #23
kikems

Congratulations to all winners. Great job.
Old 15 April 2019, 21:14   #24
ExiE

Quote:
Haha .... He has won me an unfinished game, with ripped graphics, with glitches and that does not work. Of the others, I only say that they were poorly designed and poorly finished. bad playability, with bad graphics and mediocre programming.
This hobby goes by toilet.
The truth is that I'm breaking the belly of laughter ... haha
Go fudge ... haha
HAHAHA ...
It's time to go somewhere else where Amiga productions are treated with respect.
HAHA ... full of glitches, ripping graphics and wins ... HAHAHA
I understand why you got upset, but re-think it once more with cold head please

Your graphics style is unique, the characters are nice, just not suited for good fighting game. And that may be the problem...
Old 15 April 2019, 22:06   #25
aszu

congratulations to everyone and i agree with mcgeezer, come back when you calm down a bit jojo
Old 15 April 2019, 22:12   #26
jojo073

Last edited by jojo073; 04 May 2019 at 23:16.
Old 15 April 2019, 22:14   #27
Havie

Well done to all involved - shame Warpgate ended up a bit of a car crash but I appreciate the positive comments and will continue it (just on a small project at the mo - will hopefully release something this week and then have another to finish but keeping my eye in).

Have also learnt that I need to release demos to sort out bugs!

Particular well done to McGezzer as not only is he an ace programmer and doing great stuff but he shares his thoughts and his whole process. Wish I was that organised!
Old 16 April 2019, 06:44   #28
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:

I leave this forum with a very high head, knowing that my game was the best one with a difference of those that were presented. I can not be in a forum where the worst are rewarded and the best are penalized.
Today something dies in the Amiga community.
Mmhhhh. I guess I have the right to answer. What you call ripping graphics is this using an emulator and pick as much graphics as possible.

I took the engineering side : extracting the assets directly from the roms, and then I have reversed engineered how the assets were stored in the arcade code of rygar.

Ripping graphics can be done by anyone. Reverse engineer an arcade system is another story.

Rygar is a "small" 8 bits game, and it took me 3-4 days full time to work out my magic.

About McGeezer, you totally underestimate the workload for a game like Rygar, even 8 bits.

Japanese games look like very simple at first sight. The truth is that they use complicated mechanics that can be quite hard to replicate.

McGeezer to my sense has won for multiple reasons :

First of all, he showed that well used the 1200 can make great games. Next he showed that making such a game requires more months of work and tweaking than all the other games in the contest.

My own goal was to bring out the best possible graphics from the coin op.

I won

Invent then worked out the assets I gave by reordering the colors and palettes.

Dr metune goal was to make the best possible music and sfx out of the arcade.
Not an easy task at all, but he is a sound genius.

All of us did the best we could each on our own, and once rygar will be finished, it will show up that the 1st prize was well deserved by the team.
Old 16 April 2019, 08:36   #29
onkelarie

Quote:
Now people who do not know anything will say, what a bad loser ...
But, seriously?
We are crazy? It has been awarded the ripping graphics or not knowing how to draw, is rewarded having a bad programming, which does not work and penalizes good programming ...
They already told me, forget about winning ... but seeing what had been delivered, I thought that people would be more serious ...
Nobody can tell me that a game with failures, without finishing and that it is a copy, can win a game well done. To show you that the fudge has been seen, I'll just tell you that the programmer of my game works in Uncharted. and has been humiliated by some amateurs with mediocre games ...
We are crazy?
I will not say anything to the programmer, I will say that the contest was suspended, I can not humiliate him and tell him that his programming has been 4 or 5 or 10 for a game ripped with failures ...
This only makes the Amiga keep going to the ground.
For my part, I can only withdraw from this forum, since I feel seriously humiliated.

This IS by all definitions bad losing in its fullest.

Hopefully you will cool down and not leave the community because of this. Try to take some time off, look at the arguments once again why points were given to entries as such, and try again next time
Old 16 April 2019, 08:58   #30
Graham Humphrey

Although I kept quite a low profile on here during the contest I did follow things and played all the games thoroughly. Well done and thanks to all involved, it was a great job in the time frame and every game had some impressive aspects. Also a big thanks to the generosity of those who donated money for the prizes, and to my fellow judges who worked really hard to record and present the results.

It is important to realise that if a game doesn't win a prize it's not a personal attack. The whole nature of a competition is that not everyone can win. We played everything properly and hopefully the nature of the feedback reflects this. Certainly Karate Championship and Modsurfer were the nearest to feeling like 'completed' games but as you can see, there are many factors taken into account. We all seemed to agree that the top two were some way ahead, and that seems to be the opinion of many of those who have also checked out the games also. Everything here has potential to be pretty good and there is a decent foundation in place to achieve that, so I hope to see some of the games develop further and I look forward to seeing the outcomes of this.
Old 16 April 2019, 09:20   #31
DamienD
Banned

I've now received the winners' PayPal details and all prize money has been paid
Old 16 April 2019, 09:36   #32
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@dlfrsilver:
Even if what you explain (how hard/good/long/much people have worked) is out of the scope of what has been taken into consideration by the judges, looks like you forgot to mention @ross for his 'loader' and @phx for the 'music code'. Fortunately they are credited in the beginning of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
[...] It is important to realise that if a game doesn't win a prize it's not a personal attack. The whole nature of a competition is that not everyone can win. We played everything properly and hopefully the nature of the feedback reflects this. Certainly Karate Championship and Modsurfer were the nearest to feeling like 'completed' games but as you can see, there are many factors taken into account. We all seemed to agree that the top two were some way ahead, and that seems to be the opinion of many of those who have also checked out the games also. Everything here has potential to be pretty good and there is a decent foundation in place to achieve that, so I hope to see some of the games develop further and I look forward to seeing the outcomes of this.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Cool !
So now everybody can begin to prepare for next edition !
Artists (coders, gfx, snd/zik, etc.), on your marks, set........
No, joking... All of you, don't forget first to improve/polish yours games .
Old 16 April 2019, 09:40   #33
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
From all the games that made to the end I am finding Warpgate the most potential for future development and I really hope author will invets some effort to evolution of this concept.

I regret some others gave up before the end (especially Pumpkin bros), but I believe they will be finished, no matter the competition.
Old 16 April 2019, 10:13   #34
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Mmhhhh. I guess I have the right to answer. What you call ripping graphics is this using an emulator and pick as much graphics as possible.

I took the engineering side : extracting the assets directly from the roms, and then I have reversed engineered how the assets were stored in the arcade code of rygar.

Ripping graphics can be done by anyone. Reverse engineer an arcade system is another story.

Rygar is a "small" 8 bits game, and it took me 3-4 days full time to work out my magic.

About McGeezer, you totally underestimate the workload for a game like Rygar, even 8 bits.

Japanese games look like very simple at first sight. The truth is that they use complicated mechanics that can be quite hard to replicate.

McGeezer to my sense has won for multiple reasons :

First of all, he showed that well used the 1200 can make great games. Next he showed that making such a game requires more months of work and tweaking than all the other games in the contest.

My own goal was to bring out the best possible graphics from the coin op.

I won

Invent then worked out the assets I gave by reordering the colors and palettes.

Dr metune goal was to make the best possible music and sfx out of the arcade.
Not an easy task at all, but he is a sound genius.

All of us did the best we could each on our own, and once rygar will be finished, it will show up that the 1st prize was well deserved by the team.
I completely agree here, Rygar AGA is a massive achievement and one that shows once and for all that Arcade ports (at least some of them ) can be done justice on the Amiga.

From a technical perspective, Rygar AGA is very impressive and IMHO it deserves the win for that alone. But it doesn't end here. It doesn't just look and sound great, it also plays very similarly to the Arcade.

People underestimate how much work it is to get that right.

The same goes for the work you did, it's easy to say "it's just a rip", but more goes into it than just pressing a button. Sure, designing graphics from scratch is clearly harder but this also took effort and hard artistic choices regarding colour palette to use etc.

All in all, it's been great seeing this game come to life!

Quote:
I regret some others gave up before the end (especially Pumpkin bros), but I believe they will be finished, no matter the competition.
Indeed, I have high hopes for Pumpkin bros. It looks like a very nice game. Here's hoping that all of the entries will be finished!
Old 16 April 2019, 11:54   #35
MikeyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
It is important to realise that if a game doesn't win a prize it's not a personal attack. The whole nature of a competition is that not everyone can win. We played everything properly and hopefully the nature of the feedback reflects this. Certainly Karate Championship and Modsurfer were the nearest to feeling like 'completed' games but as you can see, there are many factors taken into account. We all seemed to agree that the top two were some way ahead, and that seems to be the opinion of many of those who have also checked out the games also. Everything here has potential to be pretty good and there is a decent foundation in place to achieve that, so I hope to see some of the games develop further and I look forward to seeing the outcomes of this.
Graham you put it very well. Totally agree. I've been impressed with what can be achieved in just 6 months. You the contestants are not doing this as a full time job either so I'm in awe of the achievements everyone has made.
I hope that jojo073 looks back at our feedback in the future to build and improve the game or other projects in the future as it would be a shame to loose that for the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Thank you DamienD for managing this and glad to hear all prize money has been paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Well done to all involved - shame Warpgate ended up a bit of a car crash but I appreciate the positive comments and will continue it
Glad to hear your continuing Havie with Warpgate. I can see alot of potential with this one. Will be keeping an eye out for updates.
Old 16 April 2019, 12:00   #36
nobody

Well to be honest, looking all participants entries, the rygar was the most impressive. Not taking into account that the graphics came from coin op and running on A1200. It was permitted so you have to accept it.
Our game (river raid) was cool, if it had participated it would have a chance for something good. I believe it would be in top 3 for sure.
Old 16 April 2019, 12:31   #37
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I am looking forward to the new contest soon!
Old 16 April 2019, 14:50   #38
ExiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I am looking forward to the new contest soon!
Me too.

But I propose to specify more precisely the rules of the next contest.
It could prevent further "misunderstandings".

I also suggest that only complete game is taken into consideration (or at least sending the price money to the winner after the game is completed)
Old 16 April 2019, 15:04   #39
LongLifeA1200

There were only 5 submissions. What were they supposed to do? Give 1st place to five different categories?

Besides, porting a game faithfully without source is not as easy as people are trying to suggest - if you think it is, try it yourself.

It's akin to seeing an athlete throwing a tantrum after losing.
Old 16 April 2019, 16:29   #40
Valken

Congrats to everyone and really wish Jojo would reconsider as I was looking forward to his game.

Best to take a break from things that does not make you happy at the moment but deep down you are passionate about.