English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 March 2015, 20:40   #1
mritter0

Samba

Has anyone gotten Samba to work with FE and WinUAE? It says it needs a static IP, but when I give it one I lose connectivity. I only have bsdsocket.library checked; is A2065 Z2 needed also? I am using the ethernet.device "hack" in FE.

I need it to get my programming files to/from Windows without having to use a floppy or CD image.

If you have gotten it up and working, post a tutorial on how to do it. All of use could benefit from it.
Old 08 March 2015, 21:38   #2
thomas

bsdsocket does not work at all. A2065 is the only part which can work. Only real hardware works with OS4, no UAE extension.

Samba does not work, either, because UAE emulates a NAT router. The Amiga and Windows are not in the same network. You have to open the ports for Samba, this can only be done by manually adding them to the WinUAE config file. Details are somewhere in a thread here, I don't know them.

Why do you need Samba? Wouldn't SMBFS be sufficient?

Be warned that neither Samba nor SMBFS work well with any Windows newer than XP. A Linux/Samba driven NAS would work best.
Old 09 March 2015, 12:02   #3
Vot

Samba

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
bsdsocket does not work at all. A2065 is the only part which can work. Only real hardware works with OS4, no UAE extension.

Samba does not work, either, because UAE emulates a NAT router. The Amiga and Windows are not in the same network. You have to open the ports for Samba, this can only be done by manually adding them to the WinUAE config file. Details are somewhere in a thread here, I don't know them.

Why do you need Samba? Wouldn't SMBFS be sufficient?

Be warned that neither Samba nor SMBFS work well with any Windows newer than XP. A Linux/Samba driven NAS would work best.

While i highly DONT recommend it you can probably adjust the ntlm authentication level to allow the older (insecure) methods allowing it to communicate with the old smb clients/servers . Haven't tested it on the newer client os's although.. (I.e win7/8) they my have depreciated the old smb code in them completely.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc960646.aspx

Last edited by Vot; 09 March 2015 at 12:09.
Old 09 March 2015, 12:30   #4
thomas

IIRC smbfs doesn't have problems with authentication on Win7, but it corrupts files during transfers.
Old 09 March 2015, 14:05   #5
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
IIRC smbfs doesn't have problems with authentication on Win7, but it corrupts files during transfers.

Wow something is really broken then...
Old 09 March 2015, 18:48   #6
mritter0

I didn't too far with Samba. I thought SMBFS was, more or less, a front end for Samba. Either way, if it is not Win7 friendly then not really worth it.

All I really need is to share a drive/folder. Is there a way to share a NAS box between WinUAE and Windows?

Even easier, is there a Windows program that can read/write to HDFs like a mounted device? And share it with WinUAE at the same time is the catch.

Writing code in Windows is still much faster than the Amiga side. Better text editors.
Old 10 March 2015, 09:52   #7
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mritter0 View Post
I didn't too far with Samba. I thought SMBFS was, more or less, a front end for Samba. Either way, if it is not Win7 friendly then not really worth it.
Samba is a SMB server, SMBFS is a SMB client. You need SMBFS to access a network share. It is not a front end for anything.

Samba is used to create a network share. In most cases it is not needed.

Quote:
All I really need is to share a drive/folder. Is there a way to share a NAS box between WinUAE and Windows?
Yes. Windows can access the NAS out of the box, on AmigaOS you can use SMBFS to do the same.

Quote:
Even easier, is there a Windows program that can read/write to HDFs like a mounted device? And share it with WinUAE at the same time is the catch.
Writing to a HDF while it is mounted to WinUAE is the same as mounting the same harddrive to two different operating systems at the same time: it corrupts sooner or later.