English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 January 2013, 23:02   #1
mark_k

Small issues with latest winuae.zip

A couple of things from testing the latest pre-beta winuae.zip (2013-01-01 18:23).

In Advanced Chipset options the string gadget for clock offset is larger than necessary. If the user reduces the width of the settings window that can overwrite the right part of the A2000 MSM6242B text. It would probably be enough to limit the maximum size to 6 characters (sign plus 5 digits since there are 86400 seconds in a day).

In full-screen mode, press F12 to open settings window. Alt-Tab to another program. WinUAE switches out of full-screen mode and you're back at the desktop with the settings window open. So far so good, but the settings window is set to "always on top" then. I think it would be best to un-set always on top when the settings window is shown on the desktop like that. Also, if you resize the settings window then, winuae crashes. I can provide crash dumps if you can't reproduce the issue.

Window maximised/full-screen suggestions...

Would it be possible to (add an option to) make double-clicking the window title bar not switch to full-screen mode, just maximise the window like other programs?

Behaviour when switching from maximised-window to full-screen and back could be improved. Currently the restored (non-maximised) window size is forgotten in that case. If you maximise the window then switch to full-screen and back to windowed, the window is un-maximised but fills the whole screen. WinUAE should remember the window maximised/restored state on switching to full-screen, and return the window to its previous state when switching back to windowed mode. So: maximised window -> full-screen -> maximised window. And the user can restore the window to its original non-maximised size.
Old 02 January 2013, 11:40   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You are again asking something that isn't so simple and as automatic as you think it is..

First, GUI open in fullscreen + ALT-TAB does is not supposed to open GUI in windowed mode, unless it is some weird Vista feature.. Fullscreen mode is completely separate universe and moving windows to/from fullscreen can't be done. It needs to be done in software by closing and then opening it and it can still cause side-effects.

GUI and fullscreen does not mix very well. (MS even recommends not to use any GUI elements in fullscreen modes)

Fullscreen and windowed mode maximized state: Same problem, windowed mode window is gone, Windows won't know it is the same window when coming back to windowed mode. It would be WinUAE's problem to remember all required state and I am not sure if I want to bother with it..

EDIT: and it isn't as imple as keeping state, what if user changes display panel window size values and then switch back to windowed mode? What now?

Quote:
Would it be possible to (add an option to) make double-clicking the window title bar not switch to full-screen mode, just maximise the window like other programs?
Done (+shift = fullscreen, +ctrl = fullwindow). It was this way because resizing was introduced long long long time after windowed/fullscreen switching.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 02 January 2013 at 13:35.
Old 02 January 2013, 15:58   #3
mark_k

I did some tests with the 2013-01-02 winuae.exe and Alt-Tabbing from full-screen mode. I couldn't get the settings window to appear on alt-tabbing from fullscreen mode with graphics API set to DirectDraw.

First tests done with Aero theme (desktop composition enabled)
With graphics API DirectDraw and no other applications running:

In full-screen mode, press F12. Then tap Alt-Tab. Can see desktop briefly, then WinUAE returns to full-screen with emulation running (i.e. no settings window). [Would it be possible for Alt-Tab to return to the desktop in that case? If I hold down Alt, press Tab once and keep holding down Alt, the task switcher window appears and I can switch to the desktop then.]

In full-screen mode, press F12. Click outside the settings window. Press Alt-Tab. Switch to desktop. WinUAE is minimised but emulation continues running, even when Pause when minimized is enabled.

With another application running (e.g. Notepad):

In full-screen mode, press F12 then Alt-Tab. You are returned to desktop with WinUAE minimised but emulation running, even when Pause when minimized is enabled.

In full-screen mode, press F12. Click outside the settings window. Press Alt-Tab. You are returned to desktop with WinUAE minimised. This time emulation does pause if Pause when minimized is enabled.

Next tests done with Classic theme (desktop composition disabled)
With no other applications running:

Direct3D graphics API. Emulation running full-screen. Tapping Alt-Tab returns you to the desktop. If you don't do anything else (don't move mouse or click taskbar buttons etc.) emulation continues even if pause when minimized is enabled.

When full-screen press F12 to open settings window. Pressing Alt-Tab doesn't do anything. However if you click outside the settings window then press Alt-Tab, you're returned to the desktop with WinUAE minimised but emulation running (even when pause when minimized is enabled). Clicking the WinUAE taskbar button returns to full-screen mode with emulation running (i.e. music continues playing), but the graphics display static. You can open and close the settings window to get WinUAE to start updating the display again.